Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel String Question(s)

Dave76

I searched the forum and see a lot of different and diverse info in this area.

Im switching to pixel string mainly and trying to figure done things out.

Without power injection, realistically how many pixel string nodes can I expect to have on a single channel without nodes dimming and what as a best case distance for the run from the controller to the start(or end) of that pixel string?

Thanks a bunch! Totally new learning curve moving to pixels nodes.

General rule is 12v = 100 pixels, 5v =50 pixels without power injection. Now it does go up or down a little depending on the controller and lights.

Just now, Dave76 said:

Does distance the run is have any impact?

12v can go further then 5v as far as the tolerance to voltage drop but the trouble with distance is the data signal. Anything over 15 feet from the controller to the first pixel may need to have a null pixel installed.

I searched the forum and see a lot of different and diverse info in this area.
Im switching to pixel string mainly and trying to figure done things out.
Without power injection, realistically how many pixel string nodes can I expect to have on a single channel without nodes dimming and what as a best case distance for the run from the controller to the start(or end) of that pixel string?
Thanks a bunch! Totally new learning curve moving to pixels nodes.

Hello, It depends on a bunch of factors. I am running 12v pixnodes ws2811 3" spacing and my first pixel is anywhere from 15ft to 30ft of cable from the controller. I have several runs 20ft to 30ft without issue. I have anywhere from 100 to 150 with minimal color change in white. Don't notice issues in red, green, or blue. I have anywhere from 300 to 450pixels with power injection at both ends or every 300 pixels without issue.

Here is my display. Matrix is 20ft + from controller to first pixel.

2016 White Buck Light Show

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efalconchristmas%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D6732&share_tid=6732&share_fid=64886&share_type=t

There are ways such as null pixels and a uAmp to increase your distance. It's something you have to test to determine.

Regards
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave76 said:

Does distance the run is have any impact?

Yes, but easily overcome with a heavier gauge wire.

12V is less sensitive to lengeth

Someone else will have to answer TIMING issues

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, whitebuck said:

Hello, It depends on a bunch of factors. I am running 12v pixnodes ws2811 3" spacing and my first pixel is anywhere from 15ft to 30ft of cable from the controller. I have several runs 20ft to 30ft without issue. I have anywhere from 100 to 150 with minimal color change in white. Don't notice issues in red, green, or blue. I have anywhere from 300 to 450pixels with power injection at both ends or every 300 pixels without issue.

Here is my display. Matrix is 20ft + from controller to first pixel.

2016 White Buck Light Show

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efalconchristmas%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D6732&share_tid=6732&share_fid=64886&share_type=t

There are ways such as null pixels and a uAmp to increase your distance. It's something you have to test to determine.

Regards
Mike

Nice display! How do you mount you pixels? (In particular the vertical has areas). Nodes or ribbon?  

• Like 1

Nice display! How do you mount you pixels? (In particular the vertical has areas). Nodes or ribbon?  

The matrix above the garage is pixels. PVC, pixnode net, and eye bolts and zip ties.

The house and driveway outlines are strips.
The drive uses PVC, zip ties, gorilla glue and various pvc mounting hardware.
The house uses aluminum channel along the roof with a translucent cover. The sides of the house and the garage use zip ties.

The deer have pixels.
I used pixel strips to make the harnesses.

The Tune to sign is pixels.
PVC and pixnode net.

The trees and bushes are brilliant bulbs.
Zip ties and wrap around branches

The large deer holding my tune to sign has brilliant bulbs. Wrap around and zip ties.

Regards;
Mike

The matrix above the garage is pixels. PVC, pixnode net, and eye bolts and zip ties.

The house and driveway outlines are strips.
The drive uses PVC, zip ties, gorilla glue and various pvc mounting hardware.
The house uses aluminum channel along the roof with a translucent cover. The sides of the house and the garage use zip ties.

The deer have pixels.
I used pixel strips to make the harnesses.

The Tune to sign is pixels.
PVC and pixnode net.

The trees and bushes are brilliant bulbs.
Zip ties and wrap around branches

The large deer holding my tune to sign has brilliant bulbs. Wrap around and zip ties.

Regards;
Mike

The vertical sides, I used these squares I found at Home Depot with an adhesive back. Then zip tie the strip down. I also used those to tidy up wire routing. In the case where the tape failed, I replaced it with VHB tape and that worked like a charm. Still holding after 4 months, snow,cold, rain, ice, etc....

13 minutes ago, whitebuck said:

The vertical sides, I used these squares I found at Home Depot with an adhesive back. Then zip tie the strip down. I also used those to tidy up wire routing. In the case where the tape failed, I replaced it with VHB tape and that worked like a charm. Still holding after 4 months, snow,cold, rain, ice, etc....

Sorry to get off my topic post. 

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking for a way to mount without making holes(if there is one)

Sorry to get off my topic post. 
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking for a way to mount without making holes(if there is one)

The little squares with tape were my choice without holes because there was a gap between the corner of the vinyl and the house and I didn't want to damage the siding.

The aluminum channel uses spring clips that are screwed in (2 per meter). They stay up and the track snaps in for easy mounting.

How did you jump across the sidewalk out to the street side along your driveway?

I ran 5' extension and power injection across the sidewalk and used a large white cord cover that I tried to tape down. Was fine till it snowed.

12 minutes ago, whyintheworld said:

How did you jump across the sidewalk out to the street side along your driveway?

Here is a permanent way for a sidewalk.

You will need

1) Shovel

2) Water hose

3) 3' PVC pipe your choice of diameter (Hardware store) (may need to be longer depending on your sidewalk width)

4) a threaded female pvc adapter that you can connect the water hose to (one end will glue to PVC conduit)

5) a threaded male adapter to connect a straight water nozzle to (one end will glue to pvc conduit)

6) small can of pvc cement (I use rain or shine) and for this I do not prime

7) strait water nozzle that will connect to pvc end- the cheap brass one or plastic one will do

8) 2' pvc pipe 4' or long enough to pass through the sidewal (this will be your permanent tunnel

Cap off with duct tape or anything both ends of the 2' pvc pipe

Glue your fittings to your pipe and let cure over night.

Dig about a 1' deep hole on one side of the sidewalk (deeper will not hurt) sometimes contractors throw all kinds of extra concrete and debris under sidewalk

Dig a slant going into the hole to help guide the pvc pipe

connect water hose and turn on water

shove the pipe assembly into the hole (you are going to make a tunnel under the sidewalk

use your PVC pipe as a measure to see your progression

water will eventually bubble up on the other side, when you see it stop, grab your shovel and dig down to the seepage.

Now drive your 2" pvc pipe under the sidewalk (leave yourself enough room to work with

when not in use I use Vienna sausage cans, soda can or bottles to plug the ends of the 2" pvc pipe. it will keep critters and wash out from clogging the hole. If need to be you can add a 90 or 45 deg elbow on the ends to stick up out of the ground.

During season if needed use a vacuum cleaner and a piece of string to assist in getting your wires through. (if no elbows are used you will be able to just push thewires straight through)

Cost around $10 for everything.

JR

It's on my project list to do something along these lines.

First year Show, just glad I got it going after two years of planning and overcoming the challenges that stopped me on year one.

1 minute ago, whitebuck said:

It's on my project list to do something along these lines.

Depending on your soil it souldnt take very long to get under a sidewalk. I forgot to mention just go at it slowly and it is a messy job at first.

3 hours ago, whyintheworld said:

If you're lucky, you do it the way I did it.  My city replaced a bunch of sidewalk sections in my part of town about a decade ago.  This included about a 15 foot section of the sidewalk in front of my house where the city owned tree in the parking strip had damaged the sidewalk.  One crew came around one day and removed the old concrete.  The next day a crew came along and poured the new concrete.  The evening in between, I buried four pieces of PVC a couple inches into the dirt.  Two were expected to be for water for sprinklers in the parking strip, and two for future electrical.  Just capped them on both sides when I buried them. I have not used any of them yet, but as part of the landscape project, there is now pipe connected to all four on my side of the sidewalk.  They will get used....

The little squares with tape were my choice without holes because there was a gap between the corner of the vinyl and the house and I didn't want to damage the siding.

The aluminum channel uses spring clips that are screwed in (2 per meter). They stay up and the track snaps in for easy mounting.

Per your request, here is how I mounted along roof line and up the side of the house

f748f96cbdc1bf93e391e7a9e63b5580.jpg20b9e14a9421640b16b3ad1b8eb1f940.jpg