Light-O-Rama Forums

My Halloween Animations

Disparky

2 hours ago, Disparky said:

One of the songs the Skeletons do in the yard.

Song: Richard Cheese - Welcome to The Jungle.

pretty cool stuff here.

Just now, Mega Arch said:

pretty cool stuff here.

Yes, so many links, so little time. I have watched 5 and they are all great.

Wow, great stuff. Love it.

The singing lamp reminded me of George's house :) 

Edited by Santas Helper

That's just crazy cool...thanks for sharing.   Willing to share how to put it together. How much diy versus out of the box stuff?

I hope the OP will return and elaborate.

Baited the hook and casted the line. I am a hungry fish! I am not to proud to say that.

• Like 1

Hi,

I don't have much for a tutorial.  I will sit down and put something together about the figures.  I enjoy putting that show out every Halloween and try to add something new each year.  This year I hope to build a Skeleton peering into a crystal ball.  I'll use some LOR stuff to do effects from within the frosted hollow ball.  Should be fun and entertaining when it summons something into the ball that's less than desireable.  Ever seen a startled skeleton??

Edited by Disparky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Disparky said:

Hi,

I don't have much for a tutorial.  I will sit down and put something together about the figures.  I enjoy putting that show out every Halloween and try to add something new each year.  This year I hope to build a Skeleton peering into a crystal ball.  I'll use some LOR stuff to do effects from within the frosted hollow ball.  Should be fun and entertaining when it summons something into the ball that's less than desireable.  Ever seen a startled skeleton??

Mad skilz!

It would be great, any info you can provide.

Edited by dibblejr

Where did you get the skeletons?  I cant seem to find anywhere the moving head skulls like what you have.

When I grow up, I want to be just like you!! :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cgiambruno said:

Where did you get the skeletons?  I cant seem to find anywhere the moving head skulls like what you have.

When I grow up, I want to be just like you!! :)

You don't want to be like me, trust me.  It is a silly life.

I buy the skeletons from the Halloween stores and install the servo motors and linkages where they need to be in order to create the desired motion.  Then, plug the servos into something like a Light O Rama ServoDog controller and when you spit out DMX to the thing, it moves the skeleton around.  That's it in a rather small nutshell.  If you want to make the skeleton head move about like in the video, I use a pan and tilt kit you put together and mount the skull on it.  Paint the thing to match the skull and there you go.  People don't really notice it's not anatomically correct with a neck.  I Get the pan and tilt kit from Servocity along with the servos, cables and things.  LOR sells a nice DMX servo controller that can handle 16 servos.  Works well and I use it to control two skeletons.  Anywhoo, thanks for asking about the skeletons.  I buy them, chop off the head and arms and attach to servos and motion bases.  That's about it.

Edited by Disparky
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Very cool!  what are you using for the lights for the talking lamp in the second video?

I've never thought of it as a lamp, haha..  I always call it "RoboHead" but I think I like the lamp better.  For that I use ElWire for the facial features. Power for the ElWire is switched via a relay bank which are controlled by a couple small digital show controllers called MiniBrick8's (Gilderfluke.Com)  The MiniBrick8's each occupy a dmx channel for eight digital outputs and two DMX channels for a couple servo's.  The head (Lamp) is mounted on the same pan and tilt kit used for the skeleton skulls and are controlled by the two servo ports on the MiniBrick8 while the digital facial ElWire's are controlled by the digital outputs to the relays.  I use an arduino to get the transition for the mouth motion open/close.  I control the Lamp figure using only four channels of DMX.  Two for the servos, one for facial features and one for the spider web strings.  A single DMX channel uses eight bits of data. Each bit controls: Mouth open/close, eye blink, eyes left, eyes center and eyes right, face de-energize (to blank out the face so that I can use the spider webs clearly) and eight bits for the eight web strings.  I have the spider webs on its own eight bit controller which occupies one DMX channel.  That's it.   I get my ElWire, inverters and cables from CoolNeon.  I don't think I forgot anything, feel free to question.

Chris

11 hours ago, Disparky said:

I've never thought of it as a lamp, haha..  I always call it "RoboHead" but I think I like the lamp better.  

That's why I mentioned a singing lamp in my earlier post because it looked like one to me. :)

You did great work Chris and appreciate sharing the details.

I'm a big Halloween nut as well (owned my own pro haunt for 8 years) and worked/built animated props myself, but not to your details with servos. So I think we both live a silly life. LOL