Light-O-Rama Forums

Help With RGB info ... Trying to Help Another Memeber Out here

dibblejr

Can anyone tell us why a Pixcon16 or other controller will not power these? https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/18AWG-wire-100pcs-string-DC12V-12mm-WS2811-addressable-RGB-led-smart-pixel-node-with-all-color/701799_32465132460.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.sbCBX4

I would love to buy these but I would rather see my buddy not give up.

He was told by another reseller that a PIXCON 16 will not power these.

I am also new to the RGB scene for 2017 and would also like to know. If its a count issue they can be cut or PI.

Thank you

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I'm not familiar with the pixcon but they're a 2811 chip so I don't see a reason why wouldn't run them unless as you say there is a 50 pixel limit to the pixcon controller( which I'm pretty sure there's not). He should have been told just to cut the string and half if that was the case. The other possibility that's usually the case is, just miscommunication.

4 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

I'm not familiar with the pixcon but they're a 2811 chip so I don't see a reason why wouldn't run them unless as you say there is a 50 pixel limit to the pixcon controller( which I'm pretty sure there's not). He should have been told just to cut the string and half if that was the case. The other possibility that's usually the case is, just miscommunication.

The cutting is my thought, cut them if needed to inject more power but I know the ones I just purchased in strings of 50 actually have additional pigtails on. Of course the factory harness is garbage. I wonder if the 100's don't have the extra pigtail

It will work no problem, just no more than 100 per channel. Pixcon will do up to 170 per channel but usually over 100 you will see lag and some dimming my experience only. 

Edited by Derkngoogly

The pixcon will drive the pixels with no problem depending how many pixels you use per port will determine how many power supplys you need and if you must inject power down stream

5 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

The pixcon will drive the pixels with no problem depending how many pixels you use per port will determine how many power supplys you need and if you must inject power down stream

Re power supplies. 

If 900watts are required. Can I wire 3 x 300watt power supplies in parallel ?

Edited by robongar

I'm betting the answer he was given was somebody who is going to err on the side of caution. Or they didn't want to go into the details on how to run it because it wasn't their product

My dang title spelling, im surprised the "spelling police" didn't get me. Sorry guys cant edit it.

I truly appreciate everyone answering this question, hopefully it helps Robongar keep his stuff and me with my upcoming monetary loss.

2 minutes ago, robongar said:

Re power supplies. 

If 900watts are required. Can wire 3 x 300watt in parallel 

The power supplies that we use are not intended to be run in parallel. You would only tie together the negative between the power supplies. Plus this built-in redundancy on your display so if a power supply goes out you don't lose as much

Edited by Ebuechner

2 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

I'm betting the answer he was given was somebody who is going to err on the side of caution. Or they didn't want to go into the details on how to run it because it wasn't their product

Your probably very close to the button I think

3 minutes ago, robongar said:

Re power supplies. 

If 900watts are required. Can wire 3 x 300watt in parallel 

I don't "think" so. I think you inject the power at every 100 or so. Remember though I ma learning this at the same time

5 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

My dang title spelling, im surprised the "spelling police" didn't get me. Sorry guys cant edit it.

I truly appreciate everyone answering this question, hopefully it helps Robongar keep his stuff and me with my upcoming monetary loss.

One of these days we should catch the guy who's in charge of the edit button and teach him a lesson:D

Power injection is bringing a direct link from the power supply to another section of the light strip both plus and negative. There's a few different ways of doing it and it would all depend on the situation. An example would be how I do my mega tree I have a heavy gauge wire running from the controller to the first strip of Lights then I run extra power wires from that strip to the second and third strip at the base that have all the data tied together. With DC current you have voltage drop throughout the length of a wire how much may depend on the gauge of wire. So you always want to maintain the shortest path to the power supply

Power injection is breaking the (power) LOAD into Separate pieces so no PIECE exceeds the limit of either the PSU or wire/trace

You would CUT the power trace at a designated point, attach new leads to the (now) isolated chunk.  Data is sill in the daisy chain

P=========x PI=========

D=====================

As Ebuecher stated, voltage drop would be a reason for power injecting but with the Pixcon the bigger reason would be because of the smaller 4 amp fuse. The Pixcon has a problem running two strings on one port so power injecting will supply power to the pixels by bypassing the fuse.

Re power injection. 

On the control board, what ever make used. There would 1 or maybe 2, 5v or 12v inputs. 

So, 1st bank. 1st power supply onto the board. 2nd power supply " injected" . The negatives of both power supplies would be tied together.

The positive? Does that go to ALL the string, between node #25 & # #26 for example of each string on that side of the board. Eg strings 1-8?