Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Faces using smart pixels

caniac

I used smart pixels this year on a singing light bulb.  I also have 4 singing trees (Holiday Coro) I think it was cheaper to use the pixels because no extra pixels where used  using m5 LEDs in different colors on the trees have a lot of LEDs blackout hidden in back 

5 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

I used smart pixels this year on a singing light bulb.  I also have 4 singing trees (Holiday Coro) I think it was cheaper to use the pixels because no extra pixels where used  using m5 LEDs in different colors on the trees have a lot of LEDs blackout hidden in back 

Did you buy their pixel faces or just convert their led/incan faces over to pixel

The singing light bulb I bought from Boscoyo Studio they sell it to fit pixels they also have singing trees similar to Holiday Coro 

15 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

My curiosity comes from having to use outputs on the controller and sequencing.  Old way is Upper Eye, Lower Eye, two entries and two channels on the controller.  New way is Upper Eye is a set number of pixels so say it takes twenty pixels to do the upper eye then you have twenty entries in the sequence plus have to contend with color changing as well as off and on.

10 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

The singing light bulb I bought from Boscoyo Studio they sell it to fit pixels they also have singing trees similar to Holiday Coro 

I have their bulbs, trees, santa, mrs santa, frosty, guitar frosty I believe that's all of them

Greg S and I was having this conversation as we made sequences during Christmas that's why I asked. Was interested in the spacing for conversion. Just didn't know if you purchased or converted them.

All of those blisters on my fingers and then if you happen to make a mistake, the memories.

They do look good with pixels

JR

Edited by dibblejr

In the sequence editor if you have 10 pixels for the eye combine those pixels into a group , When you turn that channel on select the color you want from the color fade tool  , just make a group for each effect. ,mouth ,outlne ,etc. this way you only have one line to sequence for each movement .

21 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

In the sequence editor if you have 10 pixels for the eye combine those pixels into a group , When you turn that channel on select the color you want from the color fade tool  , just make a group for each effect. ,mouth ,outlne ,etc. this way you only have one line to sequence for each movement .

would you help a brutha out and send me a sequence where you have done that (along with audio because we know how finicky LOR SE is).  I am visual person.  my email is chet68845@gmail.com

If I am understanding you correct I would set each part as a group (Upper Eye - 10 pixels, Lower Eye - 12 pixels, et al).  Then copy my existing face movements etc.  With the current pixel count for one face I would use 3 outputs (100 pixels per output with NO power injection).

3 minutes ago, caniac said:

Don't you have to know your node count for each element also before you sequence?

I thought you normally just assign them to a number but in this case by grouping you already know the quantity per group in the channel

22 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I thought you normally just assign them to a number but in this case by grouping you already know the quantity per group in the channel

not on the pumpkin faces, they differ by face.  Still on the fence with them though I bought one to play with.

web site says 302-376 depending on face (Boscoyo Studios).

Edited by caniac

10 minutes ago, caniac said:

not on the pumpkin faces, they differ by face.  Still on the fence with them though I bought one to play with.

I have all, even the pumpkins angry punks (with extra detail) they would work exactly as the bulbs. I used my pumpkins to test Christmas sequences. They are interchangeable as long as the channels 1-8 or 1-7 are named the same Outline- vowel mouth or whatever. They will all have a different qty of bulbs/ nodes though

I got my pumpkins from James Anderson but I guess he retired last year

Edited by dibblejr

I normally caution people on using pixels for faces...concentrate on uniform face movements and not go overboard with changing colors.

past season was first year with pixels and I really enjoyed the minimal controller connections during setup.  So even if you keep all  pixels white, you still go from 28-32 connections, to 4 (4 faces). 

where I am having an issue is on my pumpkin faces there is "overlap", Pixel 15 might be part of the upper mouth but at the same time is the top of the O mouth.  do you map the same Universe/channel in both places?

Hi all I'm a little late to this thread but I used Cosmic Color pixels on my pixel singing tree this year. here is a video I shot before I got the whole thing dialed in. I did make groups in the sequence editor that corasponded to each item. for the eyes I had 2 positions Normal and Evil. and that worked OK. Next year I am going to use Smart Pixels on the Outline and Dumb pixels for the face animation with 7 different mouth positions. I found smart Pixels are good for the outline but unnecessary for the animation features.  watch the video all the way through because some of the best outline effect are towards the end. 

• Like 2

Ok, seems I am getting no where fast on this.  Seems if I go smart pixels then it will be a waste of smart pixels (given all you can do with those).  if I do dumb pixels then I will need four controllers from HC (one per face).  are there any other options or should I keep them on my LOR controllers.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:54 PM, mpageler said:

past season was first year with pixels and I really enjoyed the minimal controller connections during setup.  So even if you keep all  pixels white, you still go from 28-32 connections, to 4 (4 faces). 

Chet this statement should help, maybe mpageler can provide a little more "Light" on this subject. What controllers he uses.

24 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Chet this statement should help, maybe mpageler can provide a little more "Light" on this subject. What controllers he uses.

saw that but for me it translates to additional confusing sequencing when you have to layout 75 entries for lower mouth, etc.

I'm going to switch out the dumb to smart on the outlines this year. Keeping the dumb on the actual facial movements. Yeah sure it's going to add an additional controller to the four already used but it will give me more options for sequencing. 

• Like 1