Light-O-Rama Forums

Are these connectors waterproof?

brichi

So after building 8 arches (2 per pixie4 output, 100 pixels) I learned I see I needed to inject power to the 2nd arch when on white being the colors were "off". I uses the connectors tat shipped with the RayWu strips as you can see below to inject, all works great. My question is, are these "waterproof" enough if they get buried in snow? I know once the arches are up and we get 2-3 inches of snow that these 12v plugs will be under snow.

I plan on wrapping them better with heat shrink wraps, the electrical tape was just so I could test if this was the route to go

thanks guys!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1184069/Photo Jan 22%2C 9 18 04 AM.jpg

ok I figured as much, maybe ill just get the small plastic waterproof covers that clip over them once I am done setting up each year

Give the power connectors (pins) a shot of WD40 after mating.

Thawed  (and Yellow) Snow is your problem.   Rusted pins.  Trapped water freezing can crack housings.

At 12V, clear, FRESH (The Navy used salt water as a Load Bank for the Ships Generators) water is NOT a shorting problem 

awesome, thanks 

I ordered a few more of the black waterproof ones too, I figured I have 10 months before I need to worry about it so no point rushing and doing a half assed job

• 3 weeks later...

I used the built-in JST connectors on my pixel tree for 3 years, with only 1 failure (which was solved with a little WD-40, or equivalent).

That being said, it doesn't freeze here in the winter.

I've use the JST connectors on my RGB floods for a couple of years now.  So far, so good.  No rusting or broken connectors (and I get plenty of rain, freezing rain, snow, ice, etc.)  I actually like that there not waterproof.  As it's been said on the forums before, its not that water isn't going to get in, it's how do you let it get back out again.