Light-O-Rama Forums

PSA of today - Sharing Sequences

caniac

though I am all about helping someone out, over the years I have seen some real crappy stuff happen here both with regard to sequences and controllers.  When I first started here there were a few "members" that would request copies of sequences along with the music and within hours you would see that sequence and music end up on eBay.  In most cases they didn't even have the smarts to rename it or change the sequence info.  If someone I don't know ask for a sequence I ask myself two things 1) is it an old sequence I will never use and 2) if it shows up on eBay do I care.  For those I do know I can be pretty liberal with what I have and don't mind sharing it (if it is 100% mine, if not then only if I have the permission of the original "author").

As for controllers, a few years back we had one (or several) on here advertising controllers for sale at pretty decent prices.  The bigger issue was this person(s) did not actually have controllers to sell, they would either have funds wired or paypal'd to them and then you would never receive your goods.  when you would call or email back the phone would be disconnected and/or the email blocked.  Last I heard the FBI caught the perp and he is facing 20+ years.

Yeah Chet - that can really kill the spirit most members here try to display. Sharing to an individual is not necessarily giving them all the rights to the sequence. 

Any sequence I may have purchased, from a company or from an individual, will never be shared or sold. 

Any sequence that was shared with me, when shared by me further, I state something like : "first shared with me by ______. My modified version is attached".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Yeah Chet - that can really kill the spirit most members here try to display. Sharing to an individual is not necessarily giving them all the rights to the sequence. 

Any sequence I may have purchased, from a company or from an individual, will never be shared or sold. 

Any sequence that was shared with me, when shared by me further, I state something like : "first shared with me by ______. My modified version is attached".

not trying to kill anyone's "spirit", there are those out there that tend to exploit what others do.  Has been an ongoing problem with this hobby for years. 

4 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Exactly!

Maybe we should implement a sharing policy for members who are vetted here over a certain number of posts. However it takes away from the spirit of things.

Chet, I and George have all conversed over this feeling. I wont expound on that beyond this point but I will say weird songs I have sequenced will be noticed right away.

Maybe same should be said with sales. most boards have rules and feedback. I will say that I have had no problems with anything I have purchased here.

I also ask the previous sharer if it is ok to share.

All I ask is anyone I share with do not sell the sequence, after all It was free to them.

We all started out new to this, unfortunately I purchased many sequences before "asking for help" here. because once I did ask for help it opened a whole new world and I think I have gained many friends along the way.

Anyone identified as selling a "shared" with them sequence should be called out.

All above IMHO

JR

1 hour ago, caniac said:

though I am all about helping someone out, over the years I have seen some real crappy stuff happen here both with regard to sequences and controllers.  When I first started here there were a few "members" that would request copies of sequences along with the music and within hours you would see that sequence and music end up on eBay.  In most cases they didn't even have the smarts to rename it or change the sequence info.  If someone I don't know ask for a sequence I ask myself two things 1) is it an old sequence I will never use and 2) if it shows up on eBay do I care.  For those I do know I can be pretty liberal with what I have and don't mind sharing it (if it is 100% mine, if not then only if I have the permission of the original "author").

As for controllers, a few years back we had one (or several) on here advertising controllers for sale at pretty decent prices.  The bigger issue was this person(s) did not actually have controllers to sell, they would either have funds wired or paypal'd to them and then you would never receive your goods.  when you would call or email back the phone would be disconnected and/or the email blocked.  Last I heard the FBI caught the perp and he is facing 20+ years.

Anyone ever need any help after getting scammed on any forums with fraudulent transactions should contact me. I have a 100% success rate of getting these issues fixed with or without police involvement! I hate scammers.

I have assisted people in almost every forum I am a member of. No fee's just sound solid info.

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

It is always unethical to share or sell another's work.  It ultimately betrays the good Samaritan's generosity and is despicable.  

On the other hand, I encourage everyone to not lower yourselves to their level by letting a few bad apples ever persuade you from helping those that need a hand.  Keep on the high road my friends.  You never know where a good deed will plant a seed.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bizywk said:

It is always unethical to share or sell another's work.  It ultimately betrays the good Samaritan's generosity and is despicable.  

On the other hand, I encourage everyone to not lower yourselves to their level by letting a few bad apples ever persuade you from helping those that need a hand.  Keep on the high road my friends.  You never know where a good deed will plant a seed.  

Exactly, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Chet actually said something similar to what I have been wanting to post for a while. It takes hours upon hours to sequence singing faces even days for one and I am working on one for Chet for a couple of weeks but have been sick.

wasn't trying to pee on anyone's parade or as they call it now "golden shower". lol  Just an FYI that there are those out there that will take you work and try to profit from it.  Have had it happen to me more than a few times.  I don't give up my faith in humanity or bacon as a result, just cautious.  anyone that has been on this message board more than a few years knows what I am talking about.

I don't see it as 'peeing on anyones parade".

It had to be addressed and should be repeated just prior to the holidays.

Old Sarge really helped me out, the only thing he asked was "pay it forward" and that was even after offering money, gifts or whatever and that is what he asked of me. So that is what I have been doing.

JR

• Like 1

Just now, dibblejr said:

I don't see it as 'peeing on anyones parade".

It had to be addressed and should be repeated just prior to the holidays.

Old Sarge really helped me out, the only thing he asked was "pay it forward" and that was even after offering money, gifts or whatever and that is what he asked of me. So that is what I have been doing.

JR

I live by those same rules (pay it forward), there are others that don't.  Just making everyone aware that it does happen.

44 minutes ago, caniac said:

not trying to kill anyone's "spirit", there are those out there that tend to exploit what others do.  Has been an ongoing problem with this hobby for years. 

No, I was agreeing with you my friend. I meant those who you were talking about can kill the spirit. 

2 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

No, I was agreeing with you my friend. I meant those who you were talking about can kill the spirit. 

Exactly why I had to leave it up to you to share the TBL music file, you earned that privilege, I just made the singing face sequence.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Don said:

But what stops them from selling once they open it up? I am new to drop box but unless I am mistaken once its downloaded from your drop box its no longer protected.

It's just a shame that once again there even has to be this type of discussion.

JR

Just now, dibblejr said:

But what stops them from selling once they open it up? I am new to drop box but unless I am mistaken once its downloaded from your drop box its no longer protected.

It's just a shame that once again there even has to be this type of discussion.

JR

if memory serves me correct the newer versions of sequence editor allow you to lock the file to prevent modifications of any kind.

You should download the sequence and see.

It's an animation only sequence with nothing programmed. Pay attention to the channel names.

Will it stop someone from selling it? Might not. But would someone who purchased realize that they bought it from someone without the right to resell it? Yep.