Light-O-Rama Forums

pixel toppers

Ralph D

Hi everyone,

I am building my first pixel mega tree a little over 10 feet tall. Can anyone recommend  a good topper to buy and also does anyone sell a  pixel base to do a 180° tree? I'm doing a 16  string tree with ws2811 5v nodes 50 count. I think the base might be a stretch I'm sure there's multiple ways to put them in the ground but I was just wondering if anybody designed one. This

Link to purchase, you can buy it in any format, complete or separate parts

http://www.superstarlights.com/CCPTreeConstruction/GlobeKitPurchase.php

I think HC sells 180 bases or at least kits.

If you look through todays topics we have been discussing trees a lot and a couple posts reference 180 and 270 deg trees

Edited by dibblejr

Ralph, check with Matt at Rainy Oregon Christmas. He designed several elements in aluminum and a Mega tree was one of the designs. Also here; http://www.christmas-leds.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=4SECTREE

and here; http://store.3glightingcreations.com/products/4-Section-Trees.html also; http://store.3glightingcreations.com/mega-tree-parts/

Don't forget Darrell at Christmas Light show.

With all of these vendors and their products, you should be able to easily create a tree frame.

My pixel tree is a flat tree and I use a flat star.  I'm using a custom Brian Bruderer superstar that has 360 RGB pixels instead of the 270 white lights that Brian's normal version uses.  You can see all the details on my tree and star at:  http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html  Not sure if a flat star would look OK on a circular tree however.

Brian's star is available from him at:  http://superstarlights.com/SuperStarConstruction/StarPurchase.php

Here is a photo of my tree.

2014_Pixel_Tree.jpg

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

im planning on a Brians Globe for my topper

I'm sure it's good quality but it seems rather expensive for an ABS globe with holes in it.

B.Y.R.G.- As with anything else in this hobby you (I) have to pay to play. I could probably do almost the same with a pasta colander x2 but I am lazy.

He now uses his cnc machines to make them, I saw a video somewhere a few days ago. With that the price goes up. However they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

B.Y.R.G.- As with anything else in this hobby you (I) have to pay to play. I could probably do almost the same with a pasta colander x2 but I am lazy.

He now uses his cnc machines to make them, I saw a video somewhere a few days ago. With that the price goes up. However they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

JR

I agree with paying to play but that's more play than I need at that price.  Good for you if you think it's worth it but it's only my opinion which in this world only matters to me....LOL!

Huh!

Using a CNC (automation) should make the UNIT cost go down.  Hand work costs $$, which is the whole reason industries switch to Robotics.

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Huh!

Using a CNC (automation) should make the UNIT cost go down.  Hand work costs $$, which is the whole reason industries switch to Robotics.

Machinery costs money, I imagine he doesn't make enough of them to be self sufficient. Speaking of a larger industry yes, but think of an individual point of view. Supply and demand, he's got a product if someone likes that product (such as me) then I will buy it, as long as I can afford it.

The OP asked for "tree topper" options, Brians Globe is a viable option, or did I miss something here?

JR

Just now, dibblejr said:

Machinery costs money, I imagine he doesn't make enough of them to be self sufficient. Speaking of a larger industry yes, but think of an individual point of view. Supply and demand, he's got a product if someone likes that product (such as me) then I will buy it, as long as I can afford it.

The OP asked for "tree topper" options, Brians Globe is a viable option, or did I miss something here?

JR

Normally, small CNC projects are sent to a shop that has the gear.

Initial Program setup is the $.  This one appears to be simple (like many LOR sequences).

Drill holes in the vertical path, rotate n degrees, repeat

As a tool junkie, there is: any excuse for a new tool   :D

I don't think you missed anything. There are 2 schools on pricing.

6 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Normally, small CNC projects are sent to a shop that has the gear.

Initial Program setup is the $.  This one appears to be simple (like many LOR sequences).

Drill holes in the vertical path, rotate n degrees, repeat

As a tool junkie, there is: any excuse for a new tool   :D

I don't think you missed anything. There are 2 schools on pricing.

The video of his new process really interested me. It takes all of the guess work out.

20 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

JR

No for sure that is a viable option and one of the more deluxe ones for sure.  It looks great when it's running.  Is their a Visualizer file for it? Because I would hate to have to figure that one out.  Just in case my $ threshold changes...heh!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2017 at 11:00 AM, B.Y.R.G. said:

I'm sure it's good quality but it seems rather expensive for an ABS globe with holes in it.

My threshold of expensive for an ABS globe with holes in it has been revised.  I now have a globe on order from Brian and it should be in the mail as of yesterday.

11 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

My threshold of expensive for an ABS globe with holes in it has been revised.  I now have a globe on order from Brian and it should be in the mail as of yesterday.

I'm sure you will like Brian's globe.  I'm curious what changed your threshold?

Well after looking at different options and I didn't want to have to zip tie a bunch of nodes to a metal star(done that) or something else.  This was the best looking and most interesting topper with far more sequencing options IMO.  It's basically a mini matrix wrapped around a globe which is pretty cool to mess around with in SuperStar as there was a couple of visualizations and sample sequences included so that made it even easier to pull the trigger.  Only problem is I will have to wait for pre-sale items to come in before I get to see it in action live.....ugh!

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

• The topic was locked