Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX and LOR

Archer

Yes I am currently reading the forum on the above topic and it is a good start. Now it's time to ask my Coffee Shop friends (yes I used the word "friends" loosely) about their use of moving head spotlights which are DMX and sequencing them in my LOR format. I also have been researching suppliers of those spotlights and would like any input you are willing to give. This next request should not be taken the wrong way if you know MY history on the topic..... LED's, where to buy them CHEAPLY. 

Lots of questions and I hope for lots of replies.

I just purchased all c7 green LEDs off eBay. I got 1000 of them in the 25 strands for around $300 free sh.

That was a few weeks ago. I wanted green in a big way and they are very scarce in any store for whatever reason.

they will complete my roof and home outline. This year I changed from mini LEDs to c7 for my outline without thinking so I used multi instead of green.

As far as the moving heads spots do a search on allied express and there are some less expensive waterproof ones. I am not doing spots but considering them in 2018 once I get fully into RGB's

Best of luck

JR

I outlined my roofline with c7 LEDs 3 yrs ago. They are super and save a ton of power.  I'm now in the market for mini type strings of 100 with 2.5" spacing so that I can change out my incans without reinventing my display.

5 hours ago, Archer said:

I outlined my roofline with c7 LEDs 3 yrs ago. They are super and save a ton of power.  I'm now in the market for mini type strings of 100 with 2.5" spacing so that I can change out my incans without reinventing my display.

I purchased all of my out of season mini led's from Primo, they have great customer service, I had one batch that had 8 bad bulbs, they sent replacements without question. The entire string was replaced not just the bulbs so that left me with spares.

May want to try them. They were the most affordable and I could get the weird counts needed for my smiling faces.

All other mini leds I get from wallyworld

Let me add this, there are a lot of people on ebay trying to make a lot of money off walmart minis right now- I just checked. $10 for a 50 count. Even before Christmas I purchased the same box for $4. Gougers, cant stand them. I am sitting on a gold mine at my house. jeez

JR

Edited by dibblejr

44 minutes ago, Archer said:

I just visited the Primo website and their prices are no where near my budget.

What you talking and I will have a gander? I found them really good just before Halloween. Maybe they increased or I caught a sale and don't remember. I bought several thousand from them.

What size LED's minis, C's?

Try this farm store out, I purchased some stuff from them. Also the link will just get you to some lights, just do a search on their page.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sylvania-90-ct-led-micro-multi-net-style-lights/0000000061269

Edited by dibblejr

You bought several thousand C7 bulbs?

I'm after strings of LED mini's....my display has over a thousand strings of 100ct mini incandescents. I'm contemplating replacing them with mini LED.

I looked quickly at your last suggestion and found none.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

You bought several thousand C7 bulbs?

I'm after strings of LED mini's....my display has over a thousand strings of 100ct mini incandescents. I'm contemplating replacing them with mini LED.

I looked quickly at your last suggestion and found none.

Try here, it says sale but have to log in so im not going to join http://www.ledholidaylighting.com/M5miniiceLEDLights70count.aspx

Will add more as I find them

To be honest with you the "sale" prices do not look like sales to me. The time to buy Christmas lights for the normal people are gone. Once the retailers get there inventories either gone or moved to huge storage facilities the prices skyrocket.

I purchased all of mine between Christmas day and a little over a week ago as I stumbled into a forklift at my local Home Depot that had a pallet of C7's that were found. I purchased the entire pallet and what they had on the shelf - multi color for $1.99 a box 25 count. They are still packed in my van. Over 120 boxes and after my military discount it knocked it off even more.

Just right place at a very right time at 90% off.

Edited by dibblejr

Back to the DMX part of this topic. Is the iDMX1000 required to run a DMX component on a LOR controller?

On 1/18/2017 at 10:04 PM, dibblejr said:

Last one

Both minis and nets for the OP but as I stated IMHO these prices are not much of sales

http://www.noveltylights.com/Christmas-Light-Sale/

I have also had good luck and pricing from HolidayLightsExpress, usually a dollar or two cheaper per strand than Novelty.  I use Novelty but usually if I can't find it elsewhere.

10 hours ago, Archer said:

Back to the DMX part of this topic. Is the iDMX1000 required to run a DMX component on a LOR controller?

The iDMX1000 converts LOR protocol to DMX protocol.  That means that if you have a LOR network and need to run a DMX controller on it, the iDMX will take LOR commands and translate them to DMX commands so it can then drive the DMX controller.  The result would look something like this:

PC -> USB adapter -> LOR controller -> LOR controller -> LOR controller -> iDMX1000 -> DMX controller -> DMX controller

As far as your sequencing is concerned, everything is LOR.

If you are running all DMX controllers on a network, you run your network as DMX rather than LOR protocol - and do not need the iDMX.  You could also take a DMX output from an E1.31 controller if you are running E1.31.

In your example you had LOR to LOR to LOR to DMX to DMX...after the last DMX can other return to LOR?  

Just now, Archer said:

In your example you had LOR to LOR to LOR to DMX to DMX...after the last DMX can other return to LOR?  

Nope.  Once converted to DMX,you can't go back.

Oh....it's just the data is in DMX format from that point forward, I still use my standard LOR controllers but set to DMX right?

In the example I gave above, the LOR controllers are operating with LOR commands.  The iDMX is creating DMX protocol commands for the controllers after it.  If you want to run your LOR controllers in DMX mode, you do not need an iDMX at all - just run the entire network as a DMX network rather than a LOR network.

BTW, there is no setting in the LOR controllers to tell them what protocol to use.  They will respond to LOR or DMX protocol without you doing anything to them.  Note that some of the newer LOR controllers (the CMB24D for example), have jumpers to select DMX vs LOR.  Those jumpers ONLY change what pins are used on the RJ-45 connector to DMX standard (pins 1 & 2) vs LOR standard (pins 4 & 5).  That does NOT affect what protocol the board will respond to.

Bear with me...

If there are no special settings to convert a unit (controller) from one type (DMX) to another (LOR) then why won't a controller after the DMX pick up the LOR data as I asked a message or 2 ago?

The IDMX has two LOR ports along with the DMX connections.  It will behave more like a "branch" or "split" in your LOR Network.  The LOR network can continue from the IDMX to other devices that use LOR protocol along with DMX output.