Light-O-Rama Forums

Do an arch chase sequence in PE?

brichi

Hey guys! 

being I'm kind of stuck using PE to program which i do like, is there a way to do a "chase" like i can in SE? I have 8 individually controlled arches off a pixie4 and want to chase from pixel 1 of arch one all the way to the end of arch 8, the only  way i have been playing with that kind of works is using Spirals down to a small pixel amount and timing it out on the grid to not repeat and go to the next but to try and time this to a beat of a song that 140BPM's would almost be impossible where in SE i can chase a specific length like "complete a 1 arch chase to finish in .5 seconds" so each arch completes to the beat of the song

thanks!

Try using the curtain effect, use left or right and the setting on close. Also I would put them in a group set to horizontal stack so you can apply it to all of them with one command.

SPaschall

I tried that, can't get a good timed chase like I can in SE, thanks though

when using that on close the arch light doesn't trail behind so to speak , it just do a full arch left right on then off, I like it to trail as it opens and closes

Edited by brichi

you can see the comparison here

this is a chase done in SE, nice and smooth in and out to each

and now using PE with curtain effect doesn't chase as nice

Edited by brichi

Since this will be my first year with pixels I would accept either of them. I am a perfectionist but a realist as well.

Im doing a roof matrix for my first pixel madness.

They both look good. I can see the smoothness but it took me 3 looks to see the difference.

JR

thanks JR, I am a perfectionist too so I want this to be perfect obviously, as I am sure most of the people on this forum doing these shows are perfectionists also

I tried that, can't get a good timed chase like I can in SE, thanks though

when using that on close the arch light doesn't trail behind so to speak , it just do a full arch left right on then off, I like it to trail as it opens and closes

You can create a ghost tail by adding black as your second color.

SPaschall

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

As soon as I get my pixels I can move to phase 2- the connectors, controller and then start having some new to me fun

• Like 1

thank you

the trailing black color helps but it still "snaps" off earlier instead of a full chase on one arch, the black completes like half the arch and then the arch turns off to the next one, would be nice if the black tail complete the arch. Stretching it longer only slows down the chase

I figured out a good trick, if I use the "text" option and type on letter like "h" it creates a lit pixel, I then can "move" the pixel left or right to get it to "chase"

just not as smooth as SE unfortunately

4 minutes ago, brichi said:

I figured out a good trick, if I use the "text" option and type on letter like "h" it creates a lit pixel, I then can "move" the pixel left or right to get it to "chase"

just not as smooth as SE unfortunately

Why wont SE work for you or was that part of your other thread? I'm trying to learn a little about pixels.

SE works but I chose to use (as per a video I watched on the arches) 100 pixel strips vs 50 pixels, they look brighter and more "together" being the pixels are closer together and there are more of them per meter, 

So I bought 1, 100 pixel, 16 foot strip per 2 arches, cut the strip in half and have arch 1 and 2 running off channel one and ill program the pixels based on 1-50 being arch 1 and 51-100 being arch 2

so the issue I am having is I want to setup the separate visualizer program outside of SE and PE so I can use both programs using 1 visualizer BUT the visualizer program only handles 50 pixels per channel cause its not caught up software wise with the hardware, so for now I created a visual in PE where u can use 100 pixels and divide it all up but now I don't have the visual if I want to do some programming in SE, I of course don't want to setup all my Christmas lights every time I want to program and I like to use SE to make cool chases and twinkling effects that I like that PE doesn't do, then when done I migrate it to PE and finish up with the effects in there. 

hope that all makes sense... I hoping for an update soon so visualizer can use 100 pixel LOR props

I actually asked the same question back in October.

I had 8 arches that I wanted looking perfect that would do a chase and after spending countless hours trying to figure out the timing in PE,I just decided to model the arches in xlights then import the sequences right into se and it worked perfectly every time and my arches were awesome.

It was really easy to do and repeatable for each of my 25 different sequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats interesting, thanks for the info. I will search for xlights, I'm pretty new to all this so i haven't heard of it

28 minutes ago, Brucey said:

I actually asked the same question back in October.

I had 8 arches that I wanted looking perfect that would do a chase and after spending countless hours trying to figure out the timing in PE,I just decided to model the arches in xlights then import the sequences right into se and it worked perfectly every time and my arches were awesome.

It was really easy to do and repeatable for each of my 25 different sequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is exactly what I did this year for my arches and boscoyo flakes, PE is just not there yet and as of now the effects in xlights are far better than PE and it can be done in SE but takes a bit longer.( I know some use superstar, but I haven't had the chance to play with it as of yet)

For what it's worth, the effect you are trying to accomplish is a piece of cake in SuperStar.  I have six arches end to end and do chases from one end to the other in essentially every song that I sequence at some point or other.

i made a sequence in xlights in 2 seconds, 32 beat bouncing arches. Cant believe i can't do this this easily in paid software like LOR but its so easy in free software, lol

i tried to convert and import to LOR SE but it was a mess. once i get home from work i can play again

any quick tutorial on doing this from xlights to LOR SE?

I don't have superstar , its a paid add on right? :(

guys how are you getting the sequence from Xlights to LOR smoothly, I have followed videos but its a mess after I convert and open in LOR

I'm opening lights, creating an arch and then sequencing a quick chase back and forth, I go to convert and choose the right files but when I open in LOR it not even close to what I made