Light-O-Rama Forums

Software choices

JayA

I have the basic software since I have just started. I was wondering, is it really worth going to basic Plus for the beat detection?? I have been playing around with the software a lot and I am thinking beat detection would be way better than replaying to verify where the beats are, etc. Thoughts?

The beat wizard is one of the best tools to have accurate good looking sequences.  It is the foundation and first step I take on every sequence I build.  I would not want to work without it.

• Like 1

When I first got started five years ago, I received advise to avoid the hassle and just get the Advanced license because "you will eventually need it".  I heeded that advise and in my case I soon needed features that required the advanced license.  Several years later when the Pro level license was introduced, I was one of the people that bought that upgrade in the first hour after it was made available and am using features that require it (enhanced LOR networks and intensity files).

I can't specifically address the beat wizard as I don't use it personally, but many people have said it's wonderful.  And before you ask, I have played with the beat wizard, but for all practical purposes I don't sequence in Sequence Editor, that therefore don't have a use for the beat wizard.  I do all of my sequencing in SuperStar.

Personally I do not find the beat wizzard that helpful since if used to sequence it places all lights on and off at the exact same time.

I do agree with K6 above, purchase the most upgrades that will fit your current or future use

18 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Personally I do not find the beat wizzard that helpful since if used to sequence it places all lights on and off at the exact same time.

I do agree with K6 above, purchase the most upgrades that will fit your current or future use

I never use the beat wizard to turn off and on lights.  I use it for the timings and then program the lights.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian Mitchell said:

I never use the beat wizard to turn off and on lights.  I use it for the timings and then program the lights.

That's what I was meaning. At Dr office and my name was called when typing so made it short

Learning the Beat Wizard was the smartest decision I ever made in this hobby.  I'd be collecting stamps today without it.

I can't imagine wasting hours and hours trying to find beats when the Beat Wizard can do it in literally three seconds.  I've never done a sequence without it and never will. 

I don't use it to turn lights on either.  No need - I can do that part better myself.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

when I started I went with the Advance License, don't like any restrictions on what I am doing.  I understand why software companies do that (allows you to get in at a lower price point) but don't like limits on my "blinky flashy".  When you are on a rolling sequencing a song the last thing you want to see is "You will need to upgrade to the Advance License to use that feature".

Edited by caniac

I went with Advanced then Pro when it came out. I don't actually use any Pro features though.

Unless you are on a badger, or want to spend it on more lights, get Advanced.

I started out with Light-O-Rama extended version 1.6.9 which later all version 1 software licenses automatically became the Advanced version. The Tapper and Beat wizard as well as being able to use tracks are very helpful in creating sequences.

• Like 1