Light-O-Rama Forums

Physical Security

TheDucks

My wife asked me "won't someone steal that box?" (my new LOR PC16 mounted on a stake)

This got me wondering..It would be easy to  pull 18 plugs and cut a CAT5, grab and go.

I watched a video from a member who used a French Hanger to make it easy to service and went <slap>, (and also grab.and run)

Is this the main reason some of you put the controllers in the garage?

Is this a common problem, or a rarity?

Thank you.  That was what I wanted to know

(I do have Cameras. I might change 1 to watch the yard, not just the porch.)

7 hours ago, TheDucks said:

My wife asked me "won't someone steal that box?" (my new LOR PC16 mounted on a stake)

Is this a common problem, or a rarity?

It's a common question, but not a common occurrence.  In fact, I cannot recall ever reading/hearing about someone having controller(s) stolen.  Most thieves are too dumb to even know what they are and I imagine the resale/hock value is next to nothing.

Back when the price for dirty copper was higher, your extension cords were a much more vulnerable target.

On 1/14/2017 at 11:44 AM, TheDucks said:

Is this the main reason some of you put the controllers in the garage?

I put all of my controllers in the garage this year, and it worked great. I didn't have to worry or stress about anything. I knew they were safely locked away!! I'm adding 4 new controllers for this coming year, bringing my total to 8, and all the new ones will reside in the garage as well. 

It also keeps them out of the elements. I know the rain and such shouldn't be a problem with the controllers. But I didn't want to take any chances. 

It also makes them easier to store. We had space in yhe garage to permanently mount the controllers, there for eliminating having to put them up every year, and take them down, and store them. 

Obviously, there are pros and cons to keep controllers in the garage. I initially did it so the boxes wouldn't get up and walk and way in the middle of the night. . . But there were so many more benefits that came from it. Moving forward I will only keep my controllers inside. But that's just personal preference. 

4 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

I put all of my controllers in the garage this year, and it worked great. I didn't have to worry or stress about anything. I knew they were safely locked away!! I'm adding 4 new controllers for this coming year, bringing my total to 8, and all the new ones will reside in the garage as well. 

It also keeps them out of the elements. I know the rain and such shouldn't be a problem with the controllers. But I didn't want to take any chances. 

It also makes them easier to store. We had space in yhe garage to permanently mount the controllers, there for eliminating having to put them up every year, and take them down, and store them. 

Obviously, there are pros and cons to keep controllers in the garage. I initially did it so the boxes wouldn't get up and walk and way in the middle of the night. . . But there were so many more benefits that came from it. Moving forward I will only keep my controllers inside. But that's just personal preference. 

I've said this in other threads and I'll gladly share it again.

I've got an old piece of a wood drawer that had a couple of cup hooks screwed into one edge, with an all-in-one computer, two controllers and a tiny FM transmitter all mounted to it. The total weight of this is immense for someone to want to lug around if they were to steal it. However, it's hanging in my garage. We placed three more controllers on small pieces of wood that follow the same principle. In order to get these, though, one must jump onto our roof. By the time anything would be unplugged or ready to be stolen, they'd be caught.

Put the controllers in a location not easily accessible to the average person and you shouldn't have a problem. ( By "average person" I refer to non-house residents.)

We all have plenty of SPT laying around. I have a length going through all my props and control boxes going back the the coil on a standard 8 pin relay. I have the N/C wired up to a loud alarm. It did go off once, word got around, no problems since.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robongar said:

We all have plenty of SPT laying around. I have a length going through all my props and control boxes going back the the coil on a standard 8 pin relay. I have the N/C wired up to a loud alarm. It did go off once, word got around, no problems since.

Hi robongar, nice to meet you. Thanks for sharing your setup. I too have a lot of SPT laying around but, I am wondering if you could go into more of a step by step set of instructions that I might be able to follow to do the same. I do not quit understand what you mean by "going back the the coil on a standard 8 pin relay." and "I have the N/C wired up to a loud alarm". Also what type of alarm do you use?

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Bobbee