Light-O-Rama Forums

Wire Loom & Square Pixels on Pixel Mounting Strips

Jack

A couple of questions concerning the use of the 1" wire loom to cover LOR's square Pixel string attached to the flat Pixel mounting strips.

1. Does it fit, completely closing at the slit?

2. Does it help to keep the moisture out or just used for the light diffusing effects?

3. Do they make a larger Dia. of the loom type material? 

3. If the Pixel strings are attached to the flat mounting strips in a Mega Tree type use, would this be enough to protect them (Waterproof)?

Thanks,

Jack

I haven't used the loom for covering the Square Pixels. It most likely won't keep moisture from getting to the strand of pixels. The square pixels I got from LOR are already waterproof.

Depending on where you look, they make different sizes. I use the loom to diffuse the lights, I'm not a big fan of looking directly at the bright Leds. I think it also helps to reduce "light leaks" (where 1 prop is so bright it becomes overwhelming to all the others in the setup)  Just my opinion.

Here's a link to where I got loom material if interested. It looks like they go up to 2" split.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/color-wire-looms-14

Alan...

I use the split loom on my pixel tree as an optical diffuser. It is mounted such that it would not help with waterproofing at all. I like the look. I use the same source that Alan listed. You can see photos of how I mounted my pixels and diffuser on this page:
http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Thanks Jim, sounds like everybody uses the loom for light control only.

It's also 50-50 between clear and the white color of the looms, then you need to add in the opinion that just the bulb is good,

and so goes the story.

Jack

I meant to post this awhile ago. It's a video, Brian (author of Superstar) made and at about the 3 minute mark it's show the difference between clear and white loom with lights running in both. His conclusion was the white seems to help spread the light out a little more than the clear. I tend to agree and went with white myself. Hope this helps.

Alan...

Thanks, I had watched this clip but it was at the beginning of my learning curve. I remembered the string tied to the chairs.

FYI, No one has posted that they have used the mounting strips black or white with either of the looms ,white or clear.

so far only members of the "old school" string and zip ties, have responded .

Thanks,

Jack

Take a look at the website I linked a few posts above. My pixels are mounted into split white PVC pipe. As for the split loom, they sent me samples of several sizes and colors. I can confirm that the white diffuses the light more than the clear, but it also reduces the total light quite a bit. I chose the clear largely for that reason.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I use Dark Red and Green Weed Whacker cord  (the color is the size). Blue had too much sag for horizontal runs. I attach DUMB  strings to that using S gutter hooks from Walgreens. They are free to 'float'

This year, I will try 3/4" Plastic Plumbers Tape (100' roll on order).  This stuff is mean as it is made to strap big ABS.pipes It has regular spaced holes to use for anchors/tie wraps or you could use a Repairman's Reamer to enlarge for Pixels.  For my first go, I will just attach weather resistant RGB tape and see how that goes

So not all old school

Thanks everybody, I have some samples on the way of the cable looms. 1" and 1 1/2"

Thanks Jim, sounds like everybody uses the loom for light control only.

It's also 50-50 between clear and the white color of the looms, then you need to add in the opinion that just the bulb is good,

and so goes the story.

Jack

Suggest you get some samples and see what you like. I was a little surprised that I picked the clear until I tried it on real lights.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you had any issues with the Split Wire Loom holding up being outside?  Esp. since it is not UV resistant.

No problem for me, but it's only out for two months each year and during winter when there is less UV. Mine has been in service for four years.

• The topic was locked