Light-O-Rama Forums

Switching to Pixels this year

Robsaus

Wife gave me the OK to switch our display to Pixels this year.  I know I'm going to use the 12V DC WS2811 pixel nodes and WS2811 strips to keep it all the same.  Already upgraded LOR software to Advanced Pro. 

What are people using as controllers?  I was thinking the LOR Pixel controller but want to see what else is out there.

Going to be a expensive year.  LOL 

Thanks Rob

2 minutes ago, Robsaus said:

Wife gave me the OK to switch our display to Pixels this year.  I know I'm going to use the 12V DC WS2811 pixel nodes and WS2811 strips to keep it all the same.  Already upgraded LOR software to Advanced Pro. 

What are people using as controllers?  I was thinking the LOR Pixel controller but want to see what else is out there.

Going to be a expensive year.  LOL 

Thanks Rob

LOR make great products. No doubt about it but last year I switched to the Falcon F16v2 controller. Super easy to set up. The F16v3 is coming out soon. I highly suggest checking it out.

I use LOR's Pixcon16, and also their Pixie4 and Pixie8.  Those will all accept WS2811 pixels, and can be run on a high speed LOR network.  Depending on how many or how few pixels you'll want within a given area the Pixie models might work nicely.

I also use a Falcon F16v2 controller and love it.  For larger pixel counts, and/or more complex prop arrangements, that's also a good choice.

30 minutes ago, Robsaus said:

I have a combination of controllers.  I have 300 LOR Cosmic Color Pixels on my six arches with their three LOR controllers.  I also have a few thousand WS2811 pixels and strips being driven by SanDevises E6804 or E682 E1.31 controllers.  I also have 250 CE Color Effects bulbs that are also driven by SanDevices E682 controllers.  All of this was before the LOR PixCon controller was released.  If I were doing it today, I would give serious thought about using the PixCon instead of the SanDevices controllers - not that I have anything against the SanDevices (just the opposite - I love them).  However since I am very familiar with the SanDevices controllers, I am sticking with them.

On the FV16v2 what would be the longest tried distance of run wire before the first pixel/node, and does that change and does that change when you add the board to change it to a FV32v2.

Can it be programmed in LOR  S4/ Pixel editor or Super star

6 hours ago, Randy Martin said:

On the FV16v2 what would be the longest tried distance of run wire before the first pixel/node, and does that change and does that change when you add the board to change it to a FV32v2.

I get around 45 foot using cat5 cable from the board to the first pixel when using 12 v pixels with 50 per string. The distance is the same when using the expansion board because the expansion board will be powered just like the controller and has 2 power inputs. 

I use E1.31 from Holidaycoro. Never had any problems with them, and they are easy to use. (Once you get the networking figured out)

it says that the FV16v2 gets 640 nodes per output if you are going to do a roof line would you break it down to 100 nodes or max it out.

7 hours ago, Randy Martin said:

it says that the FV16v2 gets 640 nodes per output if you are going to do a roof line would you break it down to 100 nodes or max it out.

I think there's too many variables for a one-size-fits-all answer.  It depends on the size/shape/length of your roofline.  It also depends on where you'll be locating the controller(s). It depends on how you feel about power injection every hundred nodes or so.  It depends on whether you'll be using one controller for all the roofline nodes, or whether you'll be using multiple smaller controllers (like Pixie2 or Pixie4) scattered about.

Edited by George Simmons

I got close to 60' on a bunch of my runs using cat 5e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh but if you do use cat5e cable make sure it's pure copper stranded. anything else will give you problems over distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered a Pixel con from LOR and going to try that out.  I have ordered 3000 WS2811 pixels and 15 Ws2811 led strips already.

Does anyone have a sequence they would be willing to share that has a pixel tree and other props in it to look at? 

Thanks

Rob

RLS3BJE@yahoo.com

10 hours ago, Robsaus said:

I ordered a Pixel con from LOR and going to try that out.  I have ordered 3000 WS2811 pixels and 15 Ws2811 led strips already.

Does anyone have a sequence they would be willing to share that has a pixel tree and other props in it to look at? 

Thanks

Rob

RLS3BJE@yahoo.com

you might want to setup a dropbox, RGB sequences are huge.  sent to your email.

Edited by caniac

On 1/21/2017 at 0:54 AM, Robsaus said:

Thanks

Rob

RLS3BJE@yahoo.com

Where did you order your pixels from? Just curios as I'm shopping around. Thanks

9 hours ago, Dave76 said:

Where did you order your pixels from? Just curios as I'm shopping around. Thanks

Holiday Coro, Ray Wu (google or search here for a link to him) and several other stores right now having sales. Time is running out. Personally I got mine (1/4 of them off ebay) there are several links. Have a list and know what you want. Had I knew what I know now I would have purchased my first order with 6" spacing that way I can use them for basically any project.

If you are first time you may want to look at a few of the threads that several of us (all in this together) are vested in. We have been getting a ton of assistance from a lot of great people.

Best of luck

JR

I've heard you all talk of the easiness of Falcon as a pose to maybe LOR. On the LOR site there is a means to create sequences. 

Do you use the same program for Falcon or is there a program for Falcon? If so, where do I find it?

The falcon controllers on any controller you buy that's say it E1-31 is able to be sequenced in the latest lor (s4)  software