Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing faces in superstar

ebrown1972

I am considering doing some singing faces (boscoyo bulbs) in my display this year. I have never sequenced any singing faces before. I plan on using pixels for the faces. I would think it would not be hard to sequence in superstar. Anyone have any experience doing this in superstar and if so how did it turn out? Thanks.

I sequence singing faces for us old school lighters but have never needed SS. I think its a simple process but my friend Greg has converted some of mine in SS for his use and to share.

Try sending him a pm gsmith37064

I can share SE sequences with you and you can practice with them if you wish.

To sync singing faces is more than just using SE or SS, you have to first prepare the lyrics with the music in papagayo or nutcracker. I use papagayo.

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingfish said:

I do not see how you could use ss to do mouth movements:wacko:

I think it can be done but maybe I'm wrong. I will build the prop in visualizer and then import into superstar and start playing around with it. 

After looking more into this superstar may not be a good choice for this type of sequencing. I may give papagayo a try.

7 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

After looking more into this superstar may not be a good choice for this type of sequencing. I may give papagayo a try.

Yes, you can do it with just SS or SE but it will probably take you weeks to do one song.

Even with papagayo it can take 4-16 hours (or days) LOL to sync an entire song. It just depends on the song and how many lip movements you want.

Good luck and if you want any tips just ask.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, you can do it with just SS or SE but it will probably take you weeks to do one song.

Even with papagayo it can take 4-16 hours (or days) LOL to sync an entire song. It just depends on the song and how many lip movements you want.

Good luck and if you want any tips just ask.

JR

Thank you. I may get in touch if I decide to take on the task of doing singing faces. Just not sure yet.

15 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I sequence singing faces for us old school lighters but have never needed SS. I think its a simple process but my friend Greg has converted some of mine in SS for his use and to share.

Try sending him a pm gsmith37064

I can share SE sequences with you and you can practice with them if you wish.

To sync singing faces is more than just using SE or SS, you have to first prepare the lyrics with the music in papagayo or nutcracker. I use papagayo.

JR

Thank you for the response. I have not decided yet if I will attempt singing faces or not. It's nice to know if I do there are those willing to help!!!

For something like singing faces, you can do it in superstar with a series of "scenes" on the face channels. But the sequencing could also be done just as easily using the sequence editor. Sequencing large numbers of RGB channels is definitely easier in superstar than in the sequence editor, but sequencing a small number of channels in superstar (like those for singing faces) is only easier in superstar in the sense that when you play it back you can see it played back on the faces on the imported visualization.

I'm not sure if sequencing them in superstar would be any easier or not. The best test would be to actually do it and see. You can try it even with the free demo version of superstar. The free demo version of superstar is completely functional, you can create and save the sequences, you just can't export them to play to your actual lights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

For something like singing faces, you can do it in superstar with a series of "scenes" on the face channels. But the sequencing could also be done just as easily using the sequence editor. Sequencing large numbers of RGB channels is definitely easier in superstar than in the sequence editor, but sequencing a small number of channels in superstar (like those for singing faces) is only easier in superstar in the sense that when you play it back you can see it played back on the faces on the imported visualization.

I'm not sure if sequencing them in superstar would be any easier or not. The best test would be to actually do it and see. You can try it even with the free demo version of superstar. The free demo version of superstar is completely functional, you can create and save the sequences, you just can't export them to play to your actual lights.

Thanks Brian. I have been using superstar for about 4 years now and I figure superstar might be the way to go since I will be using pixels if I decide to do some singing faces. To me scenes would be easy to sequence the singing faces. I understand this may take some time but most of my sequencing all takes time anyway. I will give it a try and play around with it and post my results here when that time comes.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an older thread but wanted to give my 2 cents. 

I love superstar. Sequence my yard and all its elements.  D.C. Motors, my lasers AC and DC lights and of course my rgb...smart and dumb.

i started my light show because I loved how the faces of other peoples displays looked on you tube.  Had to have it.  And slowly worked in other elements.  Even so, the center of my show has always been the faces.  

I use the sequence editor to program them.  I won't say you can't do it in superstar especially now with floating windows, but sequence editor is just faster to me.

I have tried papagayo and found the learning curve to be long....and then you still have to program the words for each song......it seemed time consuming.  Nothing against the SW author bob-o or the several forum readers who use papagayo but it just wasn't for me.

Yes, my first face sequence took a long time.  So did any sequencing I did at first.  Now, it is easy.  Copy and paste the chorus.  Second verse may be almost the same as the first verse...copy and paste if you can.  Even if you don't copy and paste it gets easier and faster.  And better.  

I program at 1/2 speed.  Just run through the song.  And some songs program faster....but none of it takes too long.

Once complete I merge the superstar yard with the sequence editor faces....tada.

Good luck on whichever you decide.

Sax