Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Spring Sale

Protege94

17 minutes ago, Protege94 said:

I am friendly with one of my neighbors and I let him know before Thanksgiving that the lights were going up and he had no issues with them and didnt care. My other neighbor is a rental house so people come and go. 

As far as my comment about live life the way you want and if people want to complain they can.......That was meant in a non-aggressive/douche bag way. I know I cant make EVERYONE happy and people down the street don't know me or have any encounters with me to know I simply love lights because they genuinely make me happy. But at the end of the day displays have been shut down because people dont like them and during my life I have come to the realization that if someone is going to complain at that type of level they are going to regardless.

I did have someone from 2 blocks away tell me she loved the display and then I had another person tell me that her son ask to come see the display every night after dinner. That's why I do it, to give kids something to look at and be amazed with. I don't do it for personal pride, in fact thats one of the reasons I didnt use my last name as the display name.

That's all that counts, bringing joy to others. IMHO unless you are just down right unresponsive to your neighbors legitimate requests as far as lighting times or whatever you shouldn't have a problem. Just go by how "things as usual" would be. If you live in an area where people go to sleep at 7:00 pm be respectful and cut the light out at that time. Just an example.

We cant please everyone but if the majority are happy all should be well.

Give the scrooges a candy cane or something non religious unless you know their faith ask them to enjoy the lights. Get community involved and have fun.

Best of luck

JR

3 hours ago, Protege94 said:

As far as my comment about live life the way you want and if people want to complain they can.......That was meant in a non-aggressive/douche bag way. 

Wait....are you saying we should be a "non-aggressive, non-douche bag", or a "non-aggressive douche bag"?

Just wanna make sure I get this right.  It's a fine line.

Edited by Dcroc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Wait....are you saying we should be a "non-aggressive, non-douche bag", or a "non-aggressive douche bag"?

Just wanna make sure I get this right.  It's a fine line.

LOL

• Like 1

I do it because my alter ego needs an audience.  It's nice that people like it, and if people didn't, it wouldn't feed said alter ego.  There would also be no stage to do it on.  It combines all my hobbies, and loves in life. Music, computers, tech, electronic tinkering, and Christmas lights.  I find the fact that people look forward to it, and always stop and tell me how much they enjoy it all the time, to be nice, but a bit of a burden. What if I don't feel like working on it, or expanding it every year, or just don't want to do it anymore?  I have people that look forward to it, and tell me stories about how much joy it brought their Mother that passed last year?  There are times that it creates more pressure than joy.  Not often,  but there are those moments.  Comes close to spoiling the real reason I do it.  A lot like when I was playing music in the band.  I loved that my creation pleased people,  and was so grateful to, and for the audience every night.  However, the reason I did it was because it was simply part of who I am. It pleases me. A part of me will always be a performer.  At the end of the day, I am doing it for me.

A lot of people say the "I do it to bring joy to the children"  line, but my alter ego knows what the deal is.

Edited by Dcroc
  • Like 1

Any of ya'll have any idea of what they MAY be selling the fully built CTB16PC units for?  (in other words, how good of a sale)?

Anyone get one last year, who can give me an idea?

I'd like to get a couple more, but the old lady wants me to get the pixel tree from HC (which is on sale now)

at: http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/813-180-ps.htm

I really can't afford both.   So trying to decide.  a couple AC units, and more lights, or jump into trying pixels for my 2nd year's show...?

I have a small yard, and I don't think a regular LED megatree, and a pixel megatree would look good together here.

Any advice?

---  The more I think about it, if I get the pixel tree, I'd have a "freed up" controller, by NOT building the LED megatree...    Hmmmm

Thanks in advance,

Gordon

Edited by phlash73

4 hours ago, phlash73 said:

Any of ya'll have any idea of what they MAY be selling the fully built CTB16PC units for?  (in other words, how good of a sale)?

I'd like to get a couple more, but the old lady wants me to get the pixel tree from HC (which is on sale now)

I really can't afford both.   So trying to decide.  a couple AC units, and more lights, or jump into trying pixels for my 2nd year's show...?

I have a small yard, and I don't think a regular LED megatree, and a pixel megatree would look good together here.

Any advice?

---  The more I think about it, if I get the pixel tree, I'd have a "freed up" controller, by NOT building the LED megatree...    Hmmmm

Thanks in advance,

Gordon

I think it was $199.95 assembled/complete. 

5 hours ago, phlash73 said:

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Gordon

Sorry I wont paste a price but if you have good enough timing the CTB16PC's will be a great deal. However, they will go very fast. (that should be a clue)

Yes, the HC tree sale is a really good deal on top of their already hard to beat prices on the same kit elsewhere.

Decisions, decisions and more decisions. Or do like Im doing, finally adding pixels and just going to convert old light string tree to pixels. Of course since its not a kit I have a lot of learning to do but I will get it.

Best of luck

Let me add this - you should do what your "old lady" wishes. If she likes it she will support your hobby/ addiction.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

49 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

I think it was $199.95 assembled/complete. 

Dan- For whatever reason this post wasn't even on my screen when I posted. Yes it was about the same prices as the DIY kits.

JR

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Protege94 said:

I hope they are sub-$200 when they go on sale.

If they are the same as the last 2 years, yes they will be by $0.05 or so. LOL

On 1/22/2017 at 4:07 AM, phlash73 said:

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Gordon

Personally I would go with a pixel mega tree. You can do all the same basic mega tree effects, but you get so many more options. There is are bit of a learning curve for the pixels, but once you get it down its like second nature!! 

I wish I had gone with a pixel mega tree instead of a traditional spiral mega tree, which is why I am phasing out my mega tree, and phasing in a pixel tree!! The endless possibilities with the pixels are worth it!!! 

Good luck, let us know what you decide on!!