Light-O-Rama Forums

What glue to glue CCR to PVC?

brichi

Ouch!  That's expensive.  I think this is what I use:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silicone-II-10-1-oz-White-Window-and-Door-Caulk-HD5010-24C/100663324

Almost four times as much silicone for 2/3 the price.  Does require a caulking gun however (already had a similar one in stock):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-60-25-Caulk-Gun-HD109/202036529

thats ok, saves me a trip to Depot :)

if it works out good then ill buy the home depot tube, I have the gun, thanks!

when you get ready to do this and you've cleaned the surfaces, put the caulk on the PVC first then lay your light strips into it very soon after because it will skim over quickly. Sometimes I will take my finger and put a thin layer onto the opposite surface to make sure I get a good Bond.  silicone doesn't penetrate very well so it will stick to whatever is on the surface even if that's a greasy fingerprint or dust

41 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

both you and I told them what WILL work, but people keep chiming in with off-the-wall experimental suggestions.

(I don't get it).

Not much will stick to silicone except for more silicone. Clean the areas with alcohol first. As a mechanic I work with silicone on a daily basis and I found that prepping with alcohol is the key for a good Bond. 

As far as I know the "OP" asked for help, Its an open forum and when you ask a question you will get as many different answers as there are products. in no way shape or form were my replies were "off the wall experimental".

As a matter of fact every comment posted here is a means to get to the OP's bottom line, secure their light strips to pvc or what have you.

Coming on here bashing others or the OP for not just accepting your idea is just not the way to go about things.

JR

20 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

As far as I know the "OP" asked for help, Its an open forum and when you ask a question you will get as many different answers as there are products. in no way shape or form were my replies were "off the wall experimental".

As a matter of fact every comment posted here is a means to get to the OP's bottom line, secure their light strips to pvc or what have you.

Coming on here bashing others or the OP for not just accepting your idea is just not the way to go about things.

JR

You're right I probably could have been a little more tactful on that.

I was trying to give the OP the shortest route to the best results.

I apologize

2 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

You're right I probably could have been a little more tactful on that.

I was trying to give the OP the shortest route to the best results.

I apologize

No problem, it's all good.

JR

the Silicone II household i ordered worked great, tried a small 3" spot and its on there good after letting it sit for a few hours, thanks again!

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2017 at 6:32 AM, brichi said:

i want to glue parts of a CCRII to pvc but hot glue is not holding it, the silicone (I believe thats whats used) is hard to glue to, just peels right off... I zip tied them on but i hate the way it looks, would rather glue. thanks guys

You want to get some AC79. It's a primer for silicone that makes it stick with superglue. I used it to glue a silicone RGB strip to Velcro strips, but it should also work to glue silicone to PVC.

• The topic was locked