Light-O-Rama Forums

Opening song.....opinions

msteiner57

On 1/13/2017 at 9:06 PM, George Simmons said:

2001 Space Odyssey / Nutrocker by Philharmonic also has its fair share of robust moments.

I like this..............fun

Here's my take on the NFL on Fox theme.  I was actually going to use it as the opening number until I discovered 2001/Nutrocker.  Apparently. 2009 is the only year I videoed this song.  Trying to figure out a new camera (which served for only one season) this was probably our worst quality video year.

Question, when you all talk about opening songs, if this the only time you are playing this seqeunce, or does it play with the show when it repeats?

In my case it is in the startup part of the show editor, only want it to play once at the beginning.  I also setup a shutdown sequence.

2 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Here's my take on the NFL on Fox theme.  I was actually going to use it as the opening number until I discovered 2001/Nutrocker.  Apparently. 2009 is the only year I videoed this song.  Trying to figure out a new camera (which served for only one season) this was probably our worst quality video year.

Never knew that theme was that long. I'm impressed with the shooting streak in the sequence. I'm going to try and incorporate the same effect in my sequences this year. Word of note, I'm a Bears fan so anything NFL isn't suiting me this year, and probably a few years to come. LOL

My opening will repeat itself every time my show goes through a cycle. I don't have any voice overs, so just case someone stays through the complete show they will have a reference point. 

For me it's a reference point, if I hear the CocaCola Christmas song then I know my show is starting because it isn't in the playlist.  When I hear Curse of the Ice Queen I know it is in shutdown mode because it only plays then.  Everything thing else rotates every 40 mins or so.

That's why I'm looking for something different. I know when the show starts and stops but the visitors may not. I usually go with something not Christmassy ( it's a real word, look in Wikipedia) to start the show to grab attention.

5 hours ago, dougd said:

Question, when you all talk about opening songs, if this the only time you are playing this seqeunce, or does it play with the show when it repeats?

What I do is have the entire playlist loop.  My opening song is also a welcome announcement.  I used to use a closing sequence, but for me that just turned into nothing more than busy work.  I'm one of those who will - most nights - let the lights continue until the street clears, so my closing sequence is whichever one is playing when I click Disable Shows Gracefully.  The only time of night the opening sequence even means anything is at 5:30.  And then only because someone needs to go first or else the yard stays dark.

Edited by George Simmons

2 hours ago, msteiner57 said:

I know when the show starts and stops but the visitors may not.

I'm guessing that somewhere north of 99% of them don't.  And of that select few, you're very likely the only one who cares..

When visitors arrive they either see synchronized lights or they don't.  If yes, they'll stay until they feel like leaving, which will most often be determined by the sequencing.

If they arrive and see no synchronized lights they'll stay for a few moments and then drive away disappointed.

3 hours ago, msteiner57 said:

Never knew that theme was that long. I'm impressed with the shooting streak in the sequence. I'm going to try and incorporate the same effect in my sequences this year.

That shooting streak is what I call my fence snake.  It's a real channel hog - eighteen 42" sections on each side of the house.

It's one of my favorite "props".  But more importantly, it's also one of Sharon's favorites. ;)

5 hours ago, dougd said:

Question, when you all talk about opening songs, if this the only time you are playing this sequence, or does it play with the show when it repeats?

Thanks for asking this Doug.  I think how people define a 'show' gives different answers.  If you think of your 'show' like a movie or story that people stay to watch, then you expect a begin song/ middle songs / end song.   To me, things are not scripted because people come and go erratically.  They stop on the way home from groceries to see a song or two and never see the entire playlist.  They have no idea when things start or end and there is no concept of a fast song between two slows with the announcement at 8:15 or intermission at 10 before each hour.  For me, that makes my definition of 'show' to be interchangeable with my 'display'.   There is no opening or closing song because I make a point of starting before anyone is here (not dark yet) and ending after everyone has left.   

I like the concept of a 'themed playlist' which could be called a show. Say Tuesdays for two hours all songs are TSO or Pentatonix.  

• Like 1

I like the concept of a 'themed playlist' which could be called a show. Say Tuesdays for two hours all songs are TSO or Pentatonix.  

TSO Tuesday!

Frozen Friday!

Santa Saturday!

I can't rhyme a day of the week with Pentatonix, so Acapella Monday!

Well thats

53 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Thanks for asking this Doug.  I think how people define a 'show' gives different answers.  If you think of your 'show' like a movie or story that people stay to watch, then you expect a begin song/ middle songs / end song.   To me, things are not scripted because people come and go erratically.  They stop on the way home from groceries to see a song or two and never see the entire playlist.  They have no idea when things start or end and there is no concept of a fast song between two slows with the announcement at 8:15 or intermission at 10 before each hour.  For me, that makes my definition of 'show' to be interchangeable with my 'display'.   There is no opening or closing song because I make a point of starting before anyone is here (not dark yet) and ending after everyone has left.   

Well that is why I asked. I use to do an opening sequence, put a lot of thought in to it. Then it would play and maybe on a good night there were 2 cars out there when the show started. Stopped doing an opening sequence after that.

2 hours ago, George Simmons said:

That shooting streak is what I call my fence snake.  It's a real channel hog - eighteen 42" sections on each side of the house.

It's one of my favorite "props".  But more importantly, it's also one of Sharon's favorites. ;)

That fence snake seems to be popular!

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EdNetman said:

How do you do it? Is it some sort of string that chases, or are you using pixels?

Strange world - that prop has been around since 2009 and in the past week, both here and on FB, it's gotten more posts than the past 8 years combined.

As soon as I figure out how to delete previously uploaded attachments, I'll post a pic.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 2

For 2016, my "show" had 11 songs, plus an announcements sequence and a "Merry Christmas" and a "Happy New Year" clip.  I also do have an opening sequence that runs only once at the beginning of the night.  The primary target audience for the opener is the friends, family, & neighbors that are there for opening night.  After that I'm certain that almost no one sees it except me.  At the scheduled end of the early evening show, there is an announcement sequence that advises that the speakers in the yard are being turned off, and to listen to the show you must tune to 101.5 FM.  After that the late evening show starts which is exactly the same as the early evening show EXCEPT that the yard speaker are turned off.  At the end of the late evening show, there is an announcement sequence that the show is concluding for the evening and will return tomorrow at 5:00 PM.  Every year I do a different show opener sequence.  This is a screen capture from SuperStar of the 2016 opener.  Note that I have never done a screen capture of video before, and I'm not overly happy with the freebee video capture software I used, but it should give the idea (among other issues, the video is rather dark).

15 hours ago, msteiner57 said:

Never knew that theme was that long. I'm impressed with the shooting streak in the sequence. I'm going to try and incorporate the same effect in my sequences this year. Word of note, I'm a Bears fan so anything NFL isn't suiting me this year, and probably a few years to come. LOL

Yes, that is the full version of the FOX theme which is almost never heard on TV.  I did an audio edit in my version that made it the same as what is heard typically on football.  And I don't mind hearing it over and over this year - GO PACK!