Light-O-Rama Forums

mini transformer for lights

kingfish

I picked up these from a member he thought he got them from xmas led . I contacted them and Valerie said she did not believe that they were hers . I added a pic of a single they are 20 inches long and come eight to a group. they are also double sided        https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4g8otzij9ap52a/pic 2.jpg?dl=0

It's a power supply but can you provide a pic of the specs on the opposite side of it? Should have some print there.

the only print on it is on the one side the other side is blank and smooth. I opened one up and there is nothing on the inside either

What's wrong with it. Is it not lighting up. I have similar ones and if you don't  put the pins in right it won't light. I just turn them 180 and plug them back in. If you need one I can dig around my shop. I'm sure I have a spare or 2. I believe I have the same length tubes. 

I have about 300 of those tubes.  The power supplies are not weather proof!  I cover mine w a plastic bag.  You can run 12dc and eliminate the power supply.  I also deconstruct them and replace the wire w longer 18 gauge speaker wire and reseal with silicon2.

If you buy more of these tubes, take a close look at the pictures, look for usb jack on power supply.  These are not as bright as the 12v ones.

1 hour ago, scubado said:

If you buy more of these tubes, take a close look at the pictures, look for usb jack on power supply.  These are not as bright as the 12v ones.

I have never seen them with a USB connection.

They are either 5v or 12v.

Cut off one, and try it on 5v. If it works, you are good. If it doesn't, try 1 on 12v. 12v is better, as they normally have cheap tiny wire, and the voltage drops.

3 hours ago, scubado said:

I have about 300 of those tubes.  The power supplies are not weather proof!  I cover mine w a plastic bag.  You can run 12dc and eliminate the power supply.  I also deconstruct them and replace the wire w longer 18 gauge speaker wire and reseal with silicon2.

If you look on the plug there are a couple of small holes where the wire goes in.  This is where the water gets in, to prevent it from filling up, I drilled a couple on the other so it could drip out while hanging in the tree.  Haven't had any issues with these.  I had to drill a hole in the bottom of each tube for the same reason.

How did you get the tube open without cracking it?  I've tried and kept breaking the plastic.  In the end I just bought new ones for this year.

the transformers are blown . my fault like previous post these are not waterproof. hopefully I will be able to get a couple from vender on amazon

There needs to be a Label with the specs to be 'approved' for use.

Usually it is embossed near the power prongs

BTW Save the pigtail.  you can use those later if you decide to use a central PSU of the same voltage.  Do observe polarity

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, Little_b said:

If you look on the plug there are a couple of small holes where the wire goes in.  This is where the water gets in, to prevent it from filling up, I drilled a couple on the other so it could drip out while hanging in the tree.  Haven't had any issues with these.  I had to drill a hole in the bottom of each tube for the same reason.

How did you get the tube open without cracking it?  I've tried and kept breaking the plastic.  In the end I just bought new ones for this year.

Heat gun or torch.  They used hot glue.  I use silicon 2 to reseal.  When sealing, don't let the silicon reach the board.  Test b4 sealing, wait 2 days to cure b4 hanging.

• Like 1

I use a bunch of these you should try the site wish.com they are cheap and the shipping is cheap. The only thing is sometimes it can take a month to receive but if over their suggested shipping time they will give you the product and refund your purchase price.