Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding a Pixel tree

RoswellSanta

I want to add a 20 foot pixel tree next year to my current show.  Currently using the MP3 player sending data to 3 LOR light controllers.  My plan is 16 strands of 75 nodes on a 270 degree tree.  I am also wanting to put a Holidaycoro multi-strand star on top.  I am confused on which type of controller to use?  Should I run in DMX mode or Elor mode.  I have more questions, but will start here.  Any Advise would be appreciated 

I use HolidayCoro's AlphaPix16 which is DMX and love it.  Depending on the effects you are going to run, at 16 strands I would keep it to a 180 degree tree with ten inch spacing at the bottom.  Will still give you that "tree" shape but the graphics will be sharper and easier to make out (dancing Snoopy, etc.).

21 hours ago, caniac said:

I use HolidayCoro's AlphaPix16 which is DMX and love it.  Depending on the effects you are going to run, at 16 strands I would keep it to a 180 degree tree with ten inch spacing at the bottom.  Will still give you that "tree" shape but the graphics will be sharper and easier to make out (dancing Snoopy, etc.).

I agree with caniac, I just received my AlphaPix 16 controller and I too love it, I can use it to run my entire DMX network since it has rs 485 outputs on it for Dumb controllers. No more Acti-dongle, in fact it has three of them that can run 3 universes of dumb rgb. I may soon say bye bye to my 120v. AC controllers.

Saving lots of $$$$$$$$ on electric.:wub::wub::wub:

The new Falcon controller coming out will give you a lot more for your money than AlphaPix. It will give you everything that the alphapix has plus the ability to add expansion boards and remote 4 Port controllers. It will also have a built-in switch so you'll be able to daisy-chain your wires for the e1.31 instead of having to run them through a separate switch or router. For that matter even the pixlite will give you 32 physical outputs of 2811 for about the same money as the alphapix. It's a 16 channel controller but if you're not using the clock output it can double as a second data output for 2811 strings and other three wires strings. 

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?45066-F16V3-is-in-development&highlight=f16v3

http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/

Last I checked that second link doesn't have the new Falcon controller yet