Light-O-Rama Forums

Nodes for bushes?

Dcroc

Want to change my bush lights from standard LED to dumb pixels.  Question:  What type of pixels do you people use on bushes/shrubs?  Bullets? Square?  Do you simply wrap the bush like you would with standard lights, or do you use "mounting strips"?  What is the best way to do this?  Does the colored wire show much, or do you go with black wire?

Edited by Dcroc
  • Like 1

I wanted to do this too.  So let's hear it from from the ones doing it.  I want to get ideas for this next season.  I'm thinking of maybe using the pixnode net that HC has and adapt it to my bushes

I haven't done it but here is a pixel net.

a closer look at the net and you can get some ideas how to build it yourself if you wanted to go DIY.

Hope that helps

7 hours ago, Dcroc said:

Want to change my bush lights from standard LED to dumb pixels.  Question:  What type of pixels do you people use on bushes/shrubs?  Bullets? Square?  Do you simply wrap the bush like you would with standard lights, or do you use "mounting strips"?  What is the best way to do this?  Does the colored wire show much, or do you go with black wire?

I wrap just like with regular lights, but keeping in mind that RGB nodes (either smart or dumb) are brighter and don't require as many lights for the same amount of brightness compared to single-color LEDs.  I use bullet style for bushes/trees, and square ones where I only need visibility from one direction and/or want them to ride as flat as possible.  Boscoyo Studios' pixel mounting strips are super.  The best way is the way you like the most.  Just like with any other lights, if your sequencing is good no one will even notice the color of wires.

You could make your own net lights  out of nodes.    Use a sheet of plywood and put screw/nails on each end of playwood , spaced apart so you can wrap the strings back and forth..  Then use wire to connect between the stirng loops even so often.  I did this 25 years ago with mini lights and worked out good for a number of years.  I don't think the pixnode net would form very well around bushes.