Light-O-Rama Forums

Most out of a E1.31 controller

msteiner57

I have a Pixcon 16 controller. I use it for a 12  ribbon tree only ( haven't expanded to 16 ribbons yet). Since the controller is capable of utilizing 340 pixels per port, that translates to approximately 6  50 pixel ribbons per port. Virtually, only using 3 ports of the controller for a tree. My question here is, has anyone gone to the point of utilizing this type of controller to it's full capability? I ask because I have 3 huge palm trees in my yard and one is supporting my existing pixel tree. I want to go all pixels this year, eliminating my LED's and incandescents. which wrap my other trees, arches, plants etc.. Or is it just easier to keep it simple and have each tree with it's own controller?

Unles you have a good understanding of power injection and null pixels then take the easier route. Personally, I avoid power injection at all costs as this alleviates one more problem.

+1.  I use lower port density controllers and place them with the element it is running.  Makes debugging easier, programming easier, and if a controller goes out, its only that element which takes the hit,

Easier is always better in my book. I was just curious because you see some of these displays that are outrageous.

I use 5 Sandevices E6804.  Each has 4 universes  it just simpler to place the smaller controllers next to each prop shorter wire runs which is critical  to pixels.

I ran 14 E1.31 controllers this year, three were 16 port controllers for my 16 ribbon tree, 180 pixel tree and a matrix. The rest were four port controllers scattered all over the place which took care of the rest and kept my runs short. Bigger is not always better ;)

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

I'm going to redo my whole display, but don't want to get too involved because I am moving in 2 1/2 years and that means redoing it again. Thanks for everyones input.

Yes I used 2 Pixcon16 just about to capacity.  Each output controlled 252 pixels a piece.  I did learn a lot about how to take care of power injections, null pixels and PE programming.  I do have some background in electrical engineering, so it wasn't too bad for me.  In the posted video, I have a 126 x 63 12v pixel node matrix on the roof. You can really see the size at around the 1:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIQmFemP5tM

Now doing this was easy for me because the controllers and power supplies are only about 10ft from the matrix.  If your running any type of smart pixels over long distances, you will start to see issues of needing null pixels and running into voltage drop issues.  So if your props are spread out, using multiple smaller controllers may be a better/easier way to go.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Little_b said:

Yes I used 2 Pixcon16 just about to capacity.  Each output controlled 252 pixels a piece.  I did learn a lot about how to take care of power injections, null pixels and PE programming.  I do have some background in electrical engineering, so it wasn't too bad for me.  In the posted video, I have a 126 x 63 12v pixel node matrix on the roof. You can really see the size at around the 1:30 mark.

OK, that was impressive.  What is the pixel spacing on that and are the pixels one or three RGB LEDs per pixel.  Also, that seems a rather odd number.  what determined the number of rows and columns?

I'm also one to use many controllers, not one is close to being maxed out. I have one that ran just a single string of GECE's this year. Just the way it worked out with the new house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

OK, that was impressive.  What is the pixel spacing on that and are the pixels one or three RGB LEDs per pixel.  Also, that seems a rather odd number.  what determined the number of rows and columns?

I used the 3" on center pixel nets from Holidaycoro and used Pixel Nodes, each individual.  I'm working on a "How I Did It" video I'll post when I'm done.  The nets have holes that are 16 x 32.  I left one row out to overlap the next to keep the spacing even.  Hence the "odd" number it came out to be.

• Like 1

Thanks for your fast reply.

I was thinking 10/100 was enough but wanted to see what other were using. Based on your demands (the huge matrix with animation), then what I am doing will be find with 10/100. I will only use 3 of 5 ports.

Thank again!

I'm also in favor of pixel controllers close to their props, zero power injection, fewest possible number of cords, and no longer than they need to be.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Little_b said:

Now doing this was easy for me because the controllers and power supplies are only about 10ft from the matrix.  If your running any type of smart pixels over long distances, you will start to see issues of needing null pixels and running into voltage drop issues.  So if your props are spread out, using multiple smaller controllers may be a better/easier way to go.

I concur, impressive.  I need a bigger roof!! :)

Each universe of E1.31 traffic generates about a quarter megabit per second of data. Therefore, a 10 M b/s switch would be OK for a few universes, and you would be hard pressed to exceed the capacity of a 100 M b/s switch.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2017 at 8:20 PM, Little_b said:

I used the 3" on center pixel nets from Holidaycoro and used Pixel Nodes, each individual.  I'm working on a "How I Did It" video I'll post when I'm done.  The nets have holes that are 16 x 32.  I left one row out to overlap the next to keep the spacing even.  Hence the "odd" number it came out to be.

i am doing Matrix next year, I have the 3" spacing and I order the bullet type. when you installed your nodes, Did you go by the way holiday core shows you, go up one row and down the next? Did you go Horizontal. left to right? what program did you use to make the display? I have s-4 Pro. Contact me when your video is made. Richard365@yahoo.com