Light-O-Rama Forums

New in this hobby

arielmanuel

Hi,I'm new to the hobby and I want to start the right way,looking for advice. As where to buy my first starter package,how to buy from sellers used equipment,and which light should I use. Thanks for the advise in advance.

I'm planing for this new year.i already started with 3D projection ,and planing on pixel trees, singing faces,the whole nine yards!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure where to even start as I am sure others will chime in, but couple things to think about:

1. What is your budget?

2. What is your budget? (Not a typo)

3. If you are doing LOR, which I assume you are, the "startup" cost as I like to call them can be pretty high for a rookie, as you have to purchase the software, network cables, extension cords, FM tuner, tune-to sign, and we haven't even gotten to the controller and lights yet.

4. Try to think about what you want your show to look like years from now and not just 11 months from now. What pieces can you put in place THIS year that will still look good, yet allow you to build towards how you want it to look in the future, and stay within budget? The pixel tree sounds like a good starting point as it gives you the "wow" with a single element.

Edited by robigd

I'm just completed myu 3rd LOR year and have found that much of my knowledge came from searching/reading past forum thread.   Many topics have been covered over and over a numb er of times.

From the upper search bar, do thread title keyword searchs for "singing faces", "pixel tree" and "mega tree". 

First year, I* did 4 singing facea and threw up some old incandecents I had for hours outline. Second year, add dumb RGB and in third year, added smart RGB.   Pretty good learning curve alone the way and don'\t know that I would suggest to any newbie, to jump right into smart RGB. 

Not a cheapk hopy.  I spent over $1000 the first year just in the software, 2 AC controlers and the 4 faces. And it's been over $1000 per year since.  Still have plans for 4th and 5th year additions.  So while we get anxious to build our displays as quckly as possible, time, cost, knowledge limition force many to have a multi-year plan as myself.

If you're looking to Light-O-Rama, go to their website and sign up now for sales notifications.  The spring Mad-Grab sale direct from LOR will be coming up in a couple months with the best deals.  It's mad-grab because things will sell out in a matter of minutes so plan out what you will need.  Then there's the summer sale later in July-September with more items for sale, unlimited quantities, but not as great deals as spring.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this year,already bought the fm transmitter ,got like 5k of incandescent lights and a couple more things from this years set up! My first year! Thanks for your advice everyone it's really appreciated. I will be buying things for this year. This is my first set up!47a67cc9f443e645cfa84e1c2393b568.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked