8 members have voted

1. 1. Pick which date works for you

• April 1rst
    • April 8th
    • April 15th
    • April 22nd
    • April 29th

So Liz,
You have already brought up a great topic. XLIGHTS. I want to see that in person so if you can bring a laptop or computer (show computer), we can hook it up to a projector I will have setup. [emoji4] 

Sure, no problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not, wasn't sure if you needed to know the pixel count for each part.  The singing pumpkins I am looking at are between 310-400 pixels each.

We use dummy RGB lights in the trees so it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

We're getting interest from non-animated light enthusiast from Planet Christmas. :) 

All righty. Sounding like a party. 

Dang, I will probably end up spending more money after this meet. First at least one member has said he will ride along with me, I will pick him up in Arkansas and he has every toy on his display RGB's and CCR's. The second person that may ride along is also a mixed lighter with RGB's and going CCR. Then there is me, old school thinking about jumping onto at least the RGB bandwagon. By the time I drive up and back I will def have a list, normally my lists mean $ out.

It's for the children, who can say no?

JR

20 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

....It's for the children, who can say no?

JR

Yeah. For the kids. Right. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Yeah. For the kids. Right. 

Actually my two lil boys love it and just to see them smile means the world to me.

I am a softy.

JR

26 minutes ago, Papa6058 said:

Sounds like we will be working up an appetite 

Yes we will and BBQ sounds nice. :)

I will contact Van's in hopes for a discount on some kind (unless you can work your magic for something). If we go this route, it may cause a fee for the mini if the option is chosen to be included with the feast.

Let us know Michael what you find out.

• 2 weeks later...

So just a friendly bump here.

There has been involvement behind the scenes from several members from here and Planet Christmas. Looks to be a great turn out with great stuff in the mix.

If you haven't voted on a date. Please do so. An announcement of the date will be made soon hinged on your votes.

More to come very soon.

Stay tuned.

Tom

To all who will attend

I asked Tom earlier if projects could be brought along to assist with tips or to just build and he said "yes".

I am thinking about bringing my matrix materials to see if anyone has any suggestions or just wants to help me or build it.

I am awaiting a member here that said he is going to do a DIY tutorial for his matrix so if his video shows up first more than likely I wont be bringing it since I will have built it by the mini.

However if anyone would really like to partake in the project I could still bring it and make a second one based on the video tutorial forthcoming.

Just let me know. I have 2000 pixels to use up, suggestions on material to use ie, net/ mesh from HC, or pvc pipe. I am planning on this going on my roof.

Thanks for any advance info, I just haven't found a solid tutorial to help me yet.

JR

JR,

I shared your post on Planet Christmas.

And I highly suggest planning to bring materials to make a second matrix if you get one created before the mini. Myself along with others I'm sure would appreciate seeing this and learning from it.

28 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

JR,

I shared your post on Planet Christmas.

And I highly suggest planning to bring materials to make a second matrix if you get one created before the mini. Myself along with others I'm sure would appreciate seeing this and learning from it.

Thanks, I will plan on bringing them with me then. Still looking for ideas of the material suggestions pvc or the mesh (better for roof)

I will have the pixels tomorrow and next will be the connectors, PS and box. will be getting the controllers from Don on the way. So there will be some project right there.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

To all who will attend

I asked Tom earlier if projects could be brought along to assist with tips or to just build and he said "yes".

I am thinking about bringing my matrix materials to see if anyone has any suggestions or just wants to help me or build it.

I am awaiting a member here that said he is going to do a DIY tutorial for his matrix so if his video shows up first more than likely I wont be bringing it since I will have built it by the mini.

However if anyone would really like to partake in the project I could still bring it and make a second one based on the video tutorial forthcoming.

Just let me know. I have 2000 pixels to use up, suggestions on material to use ie, net/ mesh from HC, or pvc pipe. I am planning on this going on my roof.

Thanks for any advance info, I just haven't found a solid tutorial to help me yet.

JR

If it is going on the roof, the mesh for the pixel field and then pvc or wood for the frame to stretch it.  (Input given from my husband :))

Edited by OkieGirl

3 minutes ago, OkieGirl said:

If it is going on the roof, the mesh for the pixel field and then pvc or wood for the frame to stretch it.  (Input given from my husband :))

My challenge will be the 60' height. My friend Don here and I spoke and he gave me a good solution of throwing my ropes over the roof from my back porch and pulling it up with help from a friend to help it clear the edge of the roof.

wood will probably be to heavy, it scared me almost into heart failure trying to get my talking pumpkins up on the side of the house close to the peak. After pulling them up I kept thinking "rope failure" and myself, friend or my boys walking under it. Nixed the idea and kept them on the ground. Just the weight and I used 1000' lb paracord from my military days.

So I am thinking pvc frame and on the top edge placing a thin piece of plastic to help get it over the ledge.

The next question is pixel spacing at 100-160' from the house. Keep in mind I have 2000 pixels to play with but can get more. I am wanting a very good quality view so 2"-3". The WS2811's I got are 3.93" apart. I have not measured the roof yet its large but I am not wanting to cover that entire section. Im thinking 10 x 15 may be large enough.

Thank you for your input. It will def help me get the stuff to bring along.

JR

14 hours ago, OkieGirl said:

if wind is an issue my thoughts are rigid EMT, at least here mother nature laughs at wood and PVC.  I will be using 1/2 inch rigid EMT myself.

Edited by caniac

18 minutes ago, caniac said:

if wind is an issue my thoughts are rigid EMT, at least here mother nature laughs at wood and PVC.  I will be using 1/2 inch rigid EMT myself.

Relooking at my roof this morning and I am reconsidering. I wont know until I cut down the tree in front of the area. I may just place it on the wall covering a window. The problem I have with a wood frame is the weight. After about 30' it starts feeling so heavy its scary about risking safety at almost 50' and a rope break. I attempted it with my 4 singing pumpkins last year first with PVC frames and that didn't work out very well. The frames would cause a fold, no matter what I did to reinforce. I guess from the rope pulley system and weight. Changed it to 2x4 frame and man it was so heavy, got it up, secured it and all I could think about was all of the glass below it, if anything would have went wrong all glass would have been toast and the 4 pumpkins probably would have ended up in my dining room. Or worse anyone walking nearby (mainly me and my friend) wouldn't have time to get out of the way.

Even just my Santa face didn't make it past the 32' level, still felt to dangerous so I lext him on the second story window ledge.

I am hoping once the tree that blocks the garage roof is cut I will be able to get a 10' 15 or larger matrix up there, its only 25-30 feet above ground.

All of my props survived as I am an over cautious safety person so I tend to over secure things in the ground and think about the wind. My good part is I have plenty of trees to cut the wind.

Now back to the drawing board. I thought I at least had the location already nailed.

My other thought is maybe just make it self standing in the yard some place.

Sounds good to me. I'd gladly make the trip. However, we can't to do the end of the month because we will be in DC!

As soon as the date is set I will request the day off, If you need any help with any prep the week or so before I can do a mid week day

Down to 6 channels, but I refuse to change my banner!

Edited by Papa6058

I am hoping my available days work out. Its looking close.

First 2 weekends!

Edited by dibblejr