Light-O-Rama Forums

How is your display take-down coming along?

Santas Helper

Has been raining here the last five days. I have to wait for the rain to stop then give it a day or two so everything dries out. Nothing worse then putting everything in storage for a year all wet, all the mold and mildew.

Our display held up since Thanksgiving with no issues until this past week - they took a beating.  Several of our tinsel animals sustained damage from constantly falling in rain and heavy windstorms.  It finally got to the point where we'd just remove an item once it fell or became damaged - getting a headstart on breaking down the display.  By the time we were ready to take down everything on Saturday, 7 of our animals and one of our inflatables was already removed from the display.

For us, take down is pretty easy - we got the entire outside done in 6-7 hours, and then spent another hour putting it away in our storage area.  The inside of the house is still decorated - we'll slowly begin taking that stuff down this week.  Our neighbor across the street said when her 5-year-old looked out the window and saw we were taking everything down, she started crying.  Poor thing.

Edited by Jaynee

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Has been raining here the last five days. I have to wait for the rain to stop then give it a day or two so everything dries out. Nothing worse then putting everything in storage for a year all wet, all the mold and mildew.

Yes. we have the same weather. Today it is not raining (finally). Im hoping the breeze keeps blowing so that tomorrow I can start taking mine down as long as the wood frames are not soaking wet.

We was in a drought until right after Thanksgiving, now we are in monsoons.

JR

I've got my arches inside, and I've got the small tree unwrapped, but the bushes, the roof, the mega tree, and all the pixels are still out. Hoping to get everything else down this weekend. This is the most depressing time of year. :(

~Matt

I'm all down and packed in the garage except for my house pixels, roof arches and Bethlehem star. I ordered a new shed 12 by 20 shed before Christmas that will be delivered next week. Had to clear the yard for the shed to come in, then will build shelfs and store everything and give my wife back her Parking spot in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent 7 hours on Sunday and 6 hours on Monday tearing down the yard and it's about 70-75% done. House is still untouched. Probably another 20 or so hours to finish.

Sorry to hear about many of you with rain hampering take-down efforts.

I for one would LOVE to be delayed by rain. We are so dry in Oklahoma (since September) and could use any kind of rain, or snow for that matter.

Good luck with drier weather moving in hopefully soon.

I haven't even started yet.  With this week's highs projected to be 8-10 degrees and a layer of ice from rain on Christmas, it will be early spring before I can get everything down.

I got all the controllers in, the mini-trees, the mini-mega tress, plus all the tree lights in.  About 60% I think.  Still have the 3 spiral trees and the house.  Cold predicted all weekend so it will be a while before the rest comes down. 

Got everything that could be stolen or vandalized down, the rest is up high on the house and will wait for better weather. I know the rain is a bother for a lot of folks but it is a welcome burden out here - gladly postpone take down for the rain.

"Tear down hasn't started for us yet... we'll wait until next weekend, when I'm not working to overcome our holiday absentees, to tear things down. However, we have been discussing the proper strategy for take down so (1) we have a quick and easy time, (2) installation next year will be a breeze and (3) so we don't look like mad men scratching our heads  (like cavemen stumbling upon an iPad), grumbling about our next approach to solving the problem."

Earlier in this post, Monday night specifically, I mentioned how tear down hadn't started (above)... I'd like to retract that. Due to huge winds and stormy weather, we were forced to take down some stuff and bring them in, otherwise we'd have a snowman rolling down the street, coroplast flying around the neighborhood, and a seven-foot PVC tree chasing someone around. All three of these were removed... when I say "removed"... I mean like minutes ago. Gusts were able to toss our 7 ft PVC to the ground. So, to those who said "wait for the storm to pass..." sometimes going into the storm is the answer... hahaha.

Last show was 1/1/17 and started teardown on 1/2/17 (50% done). Will wait for warmer weather to get on roof to take all the pixels down.

Now gotta wipe down everything and store inside.

Always get a little tear in my eye this time of year. But only 300 days till I start putting stuff up again!

Due to 2 deaths in the family and coming down with the flue I have not even started my take down yet.

Debbie Reynolds was my dads cousin.

My last show was the 2nd. Once it ended I immediately removed the outdoor rock speakers and the Tune To sign. Just started the main tear down tonight. Will continue over the weekend. Hate this time of year. The real tree is still green and doing very well. Enjoying it while we can.

Sarge, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Never easy losing those you love.

3 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Due to 2 deaths in the family and coming down with the flue I have not even started my take down yet.

Sorry for your loss and pray for a fast recovery from your flu.

JR

32 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Sorry for your loss and pray for a fast recovery from your flu.

JR

Ditto..  Hope things get better soon.  

1 hour ago, Old Sarge said:

Sorry to hear Sarge. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.