Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 release

ebrown1972

2 minutes ago, brichi said:

Good to know. I know s4 will work for life but I'm really looking forward to s5 and know I want that version.

The $30 renewal covers everything? S5 and SS purchase?

No.  You sort of have that backwards.  Purchasing an upgrade to SuperStar or higher LOR license level results in an automatic renewal for a year.  Purchasing a software renewal allows updating to new LOR versions for a year - it does NOT result in a upgrade to a higher LOR (Advanced to Pro for example) or SuperStar license level (24 to 40 CCR for example).

I just replace my day-to-day XP production PC, to a refurbished Windows 7 PC, so no, I'm not anticipating or waiting for S5.  Still running S3 and just now thinking about S4..and that really only for the Pixel Editor.    

26 minutes ago, mpageler said:

I just replace my day-to-day XP production PC, to a refurbished Windows 7 PC, so no, I'm not anticipating or waiting for S5.  Still running S3 and just now thinking about S4..and that really only for the Pixel Editor.    

Do you use SuperStar?  If so the latest version has a few improvements (image import comes to mind) over S3 in addition what you mentioned about Pixel Editor being added.

Hello Light-enthousiasts,

Creativity is not a virtue of a programm, but of the mind.

Dot not wait for a next release to start creating the show for 2017.

Best regards

Dick de Wit

Everyone I know started planning 2017 during the 2016 season. As I sit here sequencing for Halloween and Christmas 2017! 1:00 am LOL

I hate to say it, but as much as I love LOR... the software development cycle is just way too slow IMHO.  I paid for all the latest and greatest two years ago and I didn't feel it was that usable compared to other software that was.. shall we say, free.  S4 and all the other components around it are fragments glued together and not that well it seems to me.  I was dark in 2016 and I have yet to use either SS or PE past the point of trying to get the hang of them.  In 2015 I tried to use these bits of software but it was not worth the effort for me, so I did almost all of my pixel programming in the free software and used LOR S4 to run the show.  I still love the front end part.

Now when S5 comes out, for the first time I doubt I will spend the money trying to keep up with software that, if history repeats itself, appears to be behind the curve the day it is released..  I am guessing my pro lic, that I pretty much paid for and did not use will most likely not cover the S5.. so I'm with a lot of you... moving forward way faster then LOR seems to be able to keep up....

I still love the hardware and the company overall...But software wise, for high count pixel control, is most likely not in my personal future.  I know it works well for some of you.. and good luck with it moving forward... But I think I would have to really see something stellar to pay for any more updates. The last ones never being used but paid for was kind of a lesson for me. 

Craig

I am up to 41,000 channels this year, it could be a lot higher but I do quite a bit of grouping to keep the channel count lower. I do a majority of my sequencing in Super Star. Cant imagine using anything else to sequence. Super Star plays my sequences perfect and very quick. It is when I bring it all into the sequence editor and try to play it with the visualizer that it starts going downhill.

Like everyone else I have started my 2017 display at some level. I have heard the rumors of what S5 might look like, all I need it to do is play 100,000 channels without any lag and life will be good my way for a while. I am definitely not waiting on S5, luckily I can put sequences together at this point, Time will tell what software plays the show. 

im not waiting for S5 either, I have started programming but it sucks in a way cause I want to use features in SS, SE and PE, all have advantages and I want to use all 3 on one song and its a hassle, I hear S5 is bringing it all together to make it more easy

S5 will merge PE and S4 together with the ability to import SS into the software. All three will work with no problems and let the users incorporate all three into one tidy package.

SPaschall 

2 hours ago, SPaschall said:

S5 will merge PE and S4 together with the ability to import SS into the software. All three will work with no problems and let the users incorporate all three into one tidy package.

SPaschall 

I hope it will add papagayo or similar but not holding my breath for that. I tried to use another program but had too much time with LOR so I am happy with what I have. I guess I am a loyalist.

JR

2 hours ago, SPaschall said:

SPaschall 

Yeah, stupid me.. When I paid for the renewal when S4 came out, I thought that was what I would be receiving.. not so much.. I should have done my homework better before spending the money blindly.. It isn't that much money to be honest, but it was still just a waste IMHO and a very big disappointment for me

4 hours ago, plasmadrive said:

Yeah, stupid me.. When I paid for the renewal when S4 came out, I thought that was what I would be receiving.. not so much.. I should have done my homework better before spending the money blindly.. It isn't that much money to be honest, but it was still just a waste IMHO and a very big disappointment for me

I was kind of the same boat that's why I've been a little bitter about it. Plus all their new improvements were taken from the free software and they didn't even work as well. 

What free software is usable in LOR pixie boards works. I thought that was proprietary to one another between S4 and pixie4/8/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, brichi said:

What free software is usable in LOR pixie boards works. I thought that was proprietary to one another between S4 and pixie4/8/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a few, xlights, lightshow Pro, vixen.

I use xlights, that's where pixel editor and intensity files came from.

I'm still interested in seeing what they do with S5 but a little disappointed that we're not included more in its development. 

One thing that light o rama has going for it is its ease-of-use to get people started even those that aren't as tech-savvy. 

4 minutes ago, brichi said:

I couldn't get xlights to work with the LOR adapter and environment of boxes set to LOR networks

Just run everything and DMX mode.

Life got a lot easier when I left some of the Lor stuff behind like the adapter.

Xlights will run the Lor stuff and the adapter but it does get a little more complicated.

SPaschall 

I am in the minority, I suspect. I don't find the current state of LOR software to be an issue. I do all my sequencing in SuperStar. Never have been able to get Pixel Editor to do anything useful. I use Visualizer for the layout and it works great. Trying to lump the capabilities of SuperStar, Pixel Editor and Sequence Editor (and maybe Visualizer) together may make it like a lot of software that tries to be everything for everyone, and does nonetheless very well.
But I could be wrong...

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android