Light-O-Rama Forums

Any idea what this is/how to make them?

aegault

So this star thing sparkled like a strobe/very random and bright (similar to some of the net light that blinks/sparkles randomly) in cool white. I got out and looked at it and the cord had labels and such so I don't think the lights were necessarily homemade (I thought at first they put strobes on each of these spines). Now I'm thinking maybe it was an LED string that they formed into this shape but they were awesome looking and I've never seen anything like it. I've got a short video as well... if anyone wants to see that.

IMG_1236_01.JPG

Looks cool in the still. Post the video please.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• Like 1

I forget what they are called, but they us pvc pipe and some kind of fishing ball. It's supposed to be a starburst of some kind.

• Like 1

Here's the video on youtube.

They were very slender spines that more/less came to a point and were about the diameter of a pencil. The shape is right for those 'fish attractors' but the 'spines' look a lot fatter than these.

Edited by aegault
add more detail.

I just got two of those after Christmas at lowes. Had not seen before. Made by "led light show". Normal price was 30.00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually I was browsing the old posts today and I think someone was making something very similar to them with fiberglass rod and other materials from a home improvement store. I don't remember what page I went back to like 2011 looking for a DIY for the shooting stars.

2 hours ago, EdNetman said:

What is it called? I'll look for it on the Lowes web page.

I dodnt see it on any of the big box stores but here it is on sale, also if you click the link you may see a 15% off discount offer

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/imp/347354?cm_mmc=Shopzilla-_-ProdAds-_-2016-_-Main&code-macs=MM6XSZILLA&SourceCode= MM6XSZILLA&szredirectid=14833204202713149862510080302008005&CA_6C15C=120245390000190374

I saw these online while searching, but this was not them. These are clear tubes with lights in them. What I saw were spines that were opaque and the lights (pretty sure just one per spine at the end) stuck out from them.

I DID! It was a 20min drive back over there (and then they weren't home!) but I took pics of the cord labels this time!

i just don't think they'll work with a show though as they are programmed and the other lights like this don't return to your favorite "style" each time they are turned back on- which would be dozens of time during the show.  Might get one or two anyway for next year as they are pretty awesome.

Thanks guys!