Light-O-Rama Forums

Music Copyright laws???

NTJP

Sure this has been asked but I am new at this and trying to get answers.  Searched but did not find exactly what needed.

I have been looking at sequences and see this "I understand I must purchase the music for this sequence elsewhere and it must be the exact music specified. I also confirm this is for personal use only and not for commercial environments."  I would be using on my personal home and not a business.  Question...  If I buy the music off Amazon do I own the right to play it in the light show?  So, I could download any song I wanted and make a light show legally???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LOR Staff

• lightingnewb

• dibblejr

• jtomason

Short answer is yes, our personal light shows are considered fair use of music we legitimately purchase. That does not cover professional shows.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Just to be clear in this country there's no shortage of bottom feeder lawyers that can twist things around if they think your pockets are deep enough. But you should be safe so long as you're not doing a show for a shopping mall or something similar. But if you wanted to do music for the public such as a internet radio show I've Been Told it's cheap and easy to obtain a license. All of us here on this forum are doing this as well as others on other forums and I haven't heard anybody say that they got flagged for playing music except for YouTube

That's great thank you.  I am not wanting to profit.  It's going to cost not pay.  My pay will come from all those that stop by to watch and the few that say thank you.  But most of all will be the look on the grandbabies face...  Really enjoy the Christmas lights.  Been a long time since I had a Christmas display that brought people by to look.  Excited for next Christmas...

10 minutes ago, NTJP said:

That's great thank you.  I am not wanting to profit.  It's going to cost not pay.  My pay will come from all those that stop by to watch and the few that say thank you.  But most of all will be the look on the grandbabies face...  Really enjoy the Christmas lights.  Been a long time since I had a Christmas display that brought people by to look.  Excited for next Christmas...

Then you'll be perfectly safe no lawyer has ever done anything just for the sake a feeling good about themselves or Humanity. That sort of payoff would not appeal to them

I'm not so sure that our use constitutes fair use by my read of the copyright law.   I just don't think the copyright holders are concerned about it.  

• Like 1

I consider it fair use since I purchased the songs. I would just like to be able to hear it in all the rooms in MY house without having to carry MY computer around. This is why I use a whole house transmitter so I have the right to listen to MY music in any room in MY house. It just so happens that there are some lights flashing in MY front yard that may seem to be in some kind of synchronization with the music that I own. The flashing lights are used to scare off the deer that eat MY grass. It's not MY fault that people driving by are tapping into my transmitter.  :D

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I consider it fair use since I purchased the songs. 

I did some research and found out that it apparently doesn't matter what we consider it to be.   Something about a court and a judge, or something. :)

• Like 1

I forgot to add, that big flashing sign in the front with numbers on it? Well a local wildlife officer told me that deer don't like the number 93.1  :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I forgot to add, that big flashing sign in the front with numbers on it? Well a local wildlife officer told me that deer don't like the number 93.1  :)

Isn't that funny, the deer here don't like 93.1 either, what a coincidence LOL.

I must add this --

I recorded my display on my phone ... wanted to post it to Facebook... (my own profile...) The music in it was flagged for copyright issues.

If I bought the song, per the logic on the forum here... that would be fair use... but here's where I find a catch:

Artist royalties.

http://blog.songtrust.com/publishing-tips-2/what-you-didnt-know-about-radio-royalties/

I went out and did more research.

https://www.royaltyexchange.com/learn/music-royalties#sthash.3dySqfDn.dpbs

This post explains that when we buy the music, we pay a royalty (i.e. buying a CD or vinyl... WOAH vinyl!)... therefore we should be okay?? I think.

Edited by lightingnewb
More information!

Do radio stations only have to buy the song once and can play it over and over broadcasting on the FM without further payments? 

Radio stations pay a royalty for every time a song is played.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Just now, lightingnewb said:

I must add this --

I recorded my display on my phone ... wanted to post it to Facebook... (my own profile...) The music in it was flagged for copyright issues.

If I bought the song, per the logic on the forum here... that would be fair use... but here's where I find a catch:

Artist royalties.

http://blog.songtrust.com/publishing-tips-2/what-you-didnt-know-about-radio-royalties/

I went out and did more research.

https://www.royaltyexchange.com/learn/music-royalties#sthash.3dySqfDn.dpbs

This post explains that when we buy the music, we pay a royalty (i.e. buying a CD or vinyl... WOAH vinyl!)... therefore we should be okay?? I think.

You could always present your case to FB. That's why Im not a Facebooker, I have an account with I believe no friends! I use it to post in my community boards and Christmas display (first time this year)

Youtube flagged me for "Background Music" when I used to race cars my wife recorded it, on the overhead pa system there was music playing. You could barely hear it. I got a warning from youtube and then set all of my videos to private.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You could always present your case to FB. That's why Im not a Facebooker, I have an account with I believe no friends! I use it to post in my community boards and Christmas display (first time this year)

Youtube flagged me for "Background Music" when I used to race cars my wife recorded it, on the overhead pa system there was music playing. You could barely hear it. I got a warning from youtube and then set all of my videos to private.

JR

I might do so... Idk... maybe. Is it worth the extra effort to do that, though?

Just now, lightingnewb said:

I might do so... Idk... maybe. Is it worth the extra effort to do that, though?

Wouldn't be for me. That's why I just privatized my youtube videos. I didn't feel like having my account banned because I don't have time to go through thousands of video clips to screen for background music. Someone was so petty to listen to the video, you can barely hear iy over the track. Gotta be kidding me.

As far as what we do, damn right Id throw a case up, I don't think any judge in their right mind would let it make it to court (not for us little home non profits). Now a commercial business I think a judge may hear it.

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Wouldn't be for me. That's why I just privatized my youtube videos. I didn't feel like having my account banned because I don't have time to go through thousands of video clips to screen for background music. Someone was so petty to listen to the video, you can barely hear iy over the track. Gotta be kidding me.

As far as what we do, damn right Id throw a case up, I don't think any judge in their right mind would let it make it to court (not for us little home non profits). Now a commercial business I think a judge may hear it.

As soon as I start looking into the feasibility of turning my work into a multiple-location display, I'll have to look harder into what is the ruling on that. My ideal outcome of this hobby is potentially turning it into a source of extra income on the side. The other ideal outcome is that I enjoy what I do and make new memories for my visitors.

6 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

A judge is not the issue... it's the copyright trolls that own the rights that you need to worry about.

Essentially the Songwriter's / Record Label's lawyers?

Thank of Righthaven and the RAA. Bottom feeders much like lawyers.

Don't need them.. don't want them. It's people like that who make it hard to upload our videos to say youtube or FB without getting the audio censored.

Here is a little reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_troll