Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it possible?

SinfulDarkLord

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forums and new to light-o-rama. I got my father a residential starter package with the basic level as a Christmas present as I know how much he likes his Christmas lights.

Getting to know the software was pretty easy and straight forward. I now ask if is it possible to hook up different lights to one channel and control those lights independantly or will they all light up when that channel is prompted to light up?

Example: I have 3 different lights (red, white, blue) connected to channel one. Can I make each of these lights turn on independantly?

Thank you for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

need 1 channel per color.

think of each channel as a light switch.

and welcome to the forum. 

Edited by Mega Arch

Welcome to the hobby!

Echoing Mega Arch, one channel on the controller is able to send the signal of ON, OFF, shimmer, fade, etc.....

If you want to have an element in three colors, say the roofline.  This would take 3 channels.  You can zip tie the strings together to make a super string so that it is easier to hang and store.

I would also advise labeling the extension cords and lights so that next year you know where they go.  :-)

Sinful,

I'm just glad you put the words (colors) in the right order. (R,W,B). :)

And welcome to the forum of madness, addiction and chaos.

• Like 2

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the help. I guess before next Christmas, getting another 16 channel controller would be awesome. I think 32 channels will be more than enough.

My father wants to have as much fun with this as possible and so do I.

10 minutes ago, SinfulDarkLord said:

I think 32 channels will be more than enough.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. We all said the same thing when we first started. :)

Then the year after it will double to 64 channels, then the year after that 640 channels. LOL

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. We all said the same thing when we first started. :)

Then the year after it will double to 64 channels, then the year after that 640 channels. LOL

Happens exactly like that!

I started 2012 with 32 LOR channels. (Mr. Christmas prior).

2016 show had 237 (subtracted blown triac channels)

5 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Happens exactly like that!

I started 2012 with 32 LOR channels. (Mr. Christmas prior).

2016 show had 237 (subtracted blown triac channels)

2012- 32 channels

2016 360 channels - including RGB dumb and smart pixels.

Welcome to the madness!!

Same here.  The first year I bought two controllers.  A month after that I purchased another.  It's never ending.:)  Now I have 11 controllers. And next year I plan on adding two pixel trees for another 4800 channels. ;)

Haha wow, well it will be up to my father after 32 channels. Those controllers are expensive for me. Had the help of a loan just to get a residential starter.

Never the less if I have any more questions I will stop by here and ask.

I guess I'm the odd one, my first Christmas show year was 1,803 channels plus the landscape lighting. Two years later when I changed to a musical show, it was over 4,500.
Next year = ???

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

I guess I'm the odd one, my first Christmas show year was 1,803 channels plus the landscape lighting. Two years later when I changed to a musical show, it was over 4,500.
Next year = ???

Jim, you're not the odd one, just started a little later than others.

I started in 2005, before pixel, CCR, CCB, CCP stuff and RGB even existed for use with Christmas displays at our level.

So back then, it was very limited choices, it was 8 or 16 channel (controllers) at a time. If you had 400 or 500 channels, you were king.

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 0:11 PM, SinfulDarkLord said:

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the help. I guess before next Christmas, getting another 16 channel controller would be awesome. I think 32 channels will be more than enough.

My father wants to have as much fun with this as possible and so do I.

LOL, bookmark that post and come back to it in two years. I started with 16 channels 4 seasons ago and thought the same thing, maybe just another 16 would be more than enough, now I am up over a thousand.

Telling you, its a sickness

Welcome to the madness