Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking to buy smart pix, rgb's, and controllers

morganslightshow

Hey everyone-

I am looking to add some rgb's, smart pixels, and controllers to add to our show next year. My questions are: 1. when is the best time to buy them? 2. Best site to buy from, 3. Recommended brand.

I currently have 8 LOR 16 channel controllers. I am wanting to at least add a pixel screen or tree, but might be able to add more if money allows it.

If you have any tips for buying I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short answer because I'm on my phone. If you want to stay in the LOR family, look seriously at the Pixcon16 and Pixie products. And or course the LOR Cosmic Color products. Same high level support from LOR. If you want to go E1.31 (DMX over Ethernet), there are a bunch of different controllers available (including the Pixcon from LOR). Personally, I have five SanDevices controllers and have been very happy with them. I will point out that I started with E1.31 before LOR had any E1.31 products. I went E1.31 and pixels from China rather than LOR products Sony because of cost. For both dumb RGB strips and smart pixels, I have gotten all of mine from Ray Wu in China - as many others here do. There are other sources both in China and the USA.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• Like 1

A number of good pixel controllers out there that would run under e1.31...sandevices, pixcon (LOR)  falcon and others   You could use pixels from any number of sources.  Two popular U.S. dealers who will be having pre-sale events during Jan/Feb are:

holidaycore
diyledexpress

While you can buy branded pixel controllers, all the pixel strings/ribbons/modules would be generic chinese products.  I've been using holidaycoro for the past 3 years and have been very happy with the quality of their chinese products.

• Like 1

I'd start looking at what you want to add to your show.

If you want a screen, you'll likely not want to use the Cosmic Color Ribbons/Pixels, but a larger controller setup.

If you're looking at a larger number if pixels, you HS e s few options: the Pixie controllers, the Pixcon16, or 3rd party vendors.

It is worth looking ahead at the next 2-3 years and seeing how you want to grow your show. If it's a few pixels here and there, a Pixie controller would work great. If you're looking at adding thousands of pixels watch year, you might want to consider an E1.31 route, building your pixel and controller stick around that. Obviously you can mix and match technologies, but it's best if you can plan ahead and avoid using several different types of pixels and controllers if you don't need to.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was pretty happy with the Pixie16 controller this year for a 16 CCR tree. I plan on adding some additional Pixie controllers next year as I don't have the time or energy to get into E1.31. I am hoping LOR offers ready to go Pixie controllers with power supply and housing for all 3 models instead of just doing it for tree packages.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I switched this past year to the Falcon F16 V2 and the F4. Both great products with pretty easy setup with lots of channels. Agree with lkcubsrule, plan ahead. Once into pixels you will want more. As mentioned, i bought a 16 channel and a 4 channel. For less than $100 more i could have had 2 16's. Would have been more future capability. I buy my pixels from Holidaycoro and am satisfied

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

• The topic was locked