Light-O-Rama Forums

Disappointed in online stuff for sale

Jaynee

Normally on Christmas Day, once all the chaos of the morning is done, I hop online to begin making purchases for next year's display.  We do a lot of lighted tinsel animals, and we stock up on the post-Christmas sales.  After scouring all my various websites, there was not a lot to choose from!  I only bought TWO additions for the yard.  I did managed to stock up on white, red and green incan 100-count light strings, but for the fun animals, there was not much out there.  A bit of a bummer.

I'm pleased that I snagged both red and green string lights so that I can make my spiral tree a three-color tree for next time.  I also picked up 9 strings of white lights so that I can make at least 8 mini trees using my tomato cages and have a string to spare for emergencies.  But those may be the only additions for next time. 

I think the retailers have caught on to us. The shelves have been bare here for 4 or 5 years only slim pickings. Not even enough to venture out.

If you look at the largest chain website their prices are marked way high, for string lights.

Im hoping one of the big sites has a sale but im not holding my breath.

JR

I buy almost exclusively incans, so I found the red and green for about a buck per 100-count string.  The nine 100-count white lights (but on white cords) that I found were only 56 cents each.

2 hours ago, Jaynee said:

I buy almost exclusively incans, so I found the red and green for about a buck per 100-count string.  The nine 100-count white lights (but on white cords) that I found were only 56 cents each.

Out of curiosity, why incans?

8 minutes ago, jtomason said:

Out of curiosity, why incans?

Purely because of purchase price point.  I know LEDs last longer in the big scheme of things, but while my budget is low, I buy incans.  They typically last 4-5 years for me before I need to replace them.  And since I mostly get them during sales, I don't pay much.  My hope is to one day move to pixels and avoid LEDs altogether.  The good news is that our electronic bill doesn't go crazy during the holiday season, so I'm okay with the incans.

29 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

Purely because of purchase price point.  I know LEDs last longer in the big scheme of things, but while my budget is low, I buy incans.  They typically last 4-5 years for me before I need to replace them.  And since I mostly get them during sales, I don't pay much.  My hope is to one day move to pixels and avoid LEDs altogether.  The good news is that our electronic bill doesn't go crazy during the holiday season, so I'm okay with the incans.

I don't know if you caught my post where I have 100 strings of LEDs for sale. 

Why incan?   For part if my display it makes sense.  Our local place went 90% off so 100ct mini incans are 23 cents a string case of 12 with tax is 3 bucks.  That makes them cheap enough I don't try to salvage them when the squirrels chew the plugs off them.  I just cut the dead strands off the tree trunk and limbs at the end of the season.

I would be upset to buy LEDs each year to replace them from squirrel damage.  They love the plugs and the Acorn tree so this is how we co-exist.

My .02

On 12/25/2016 at 5:17 PM, Ebuechner said:

I don't know if you caught my post where I have 100 strings of LEDs for sale. 

Are you still selling? What all do you have? How much? Where are you located?

Had a great sale season for LED strings of all types at Home Depot in Canada. Their Christmas lights were put out late (Nov 15 and later). When I arrived at the store on Dec 24, to check out the Boxing Day deals the sale had began at 50-70% off. Early Christmas present for me...

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:48 AM, NicholeLopez said:

Are you still selling? What all do you have? How much? Where are you located?

I scored at my Home Depot 2 days ago, I had to go get some silicone and seen a Christmas tree lit up and headed over. The guy was on a forklift he had a pallet of LED lights they found in their warehouse. Score for me C('s and 7's includibg green. I bought all except for multi colors.

JR

• The topic was locked