Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling/sequencing the same set of channels as two different props

arnolddeleon

We have an element that is a string of 80 pixels.  While mapping a sequence we purchased from the store we decided it would simplify some of the conversion by creating 4 new props that were a subset of the 80 pixels.  For example "Roof line 1" (channels 1-20), "Roof line 2" (21-40), "Roof line 3" (41-60) and so on.  I also have a prop called "Roof line all" which contains all the pixels (1-80).  If we want to control all the pixels as a set we put effects on "Roof line all".  If we wanted only a segment we would copy it to something like "Roof line 3".  In the preview this works perfectly.  When controlling the real lights it doesn't work as expected.  In our case the effects for partial segments work, e.g. "Roof line 1", "Roof line 2", etc.  However effects that go to "Roof line all" don't work.  We built a simple test case the problem is present there.

Pixel Editor is version 4.3.18 Pro.  The controller is a AlphaPix4 via E1.31

Are we trying to something doesn't work?  Is there a better way of doing this?

Hmm, I may have just figured it out.  It looks we can drop the effect on the group.  I just need to get the elements in the group in the right order.

Tested on real lights, it works.  To recap we broke up an RGB pixel prop into 4 different props.  We created a group that contains the 4 new props and stacked them horizontally.  If we want effect the works all of them we apply to the group and it treats set as a single prop for the effect. 

How does the stacking align things?  Is it based on the layout of preview or is just done internally based on the props characteristics?

The PE Software will not allow you to control the same set of channels with two different props.  To solve this, as you figured out, you need to use groups.  When creating your display, it's best to think about the smallest controllable portions you want to have (i.e. Roof Line 1, A window, An arch, etc.).  Then, you'd go through and build up groups with different props in order to apply effects to larger areas.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but in some testing the other day it seems that the first prop listed in the Preview Design Window with the channel mapping seems to accept commands, and any subsequent prop with duplicate channels does not seem to receive commands.  So, that might explain your conundrum.

With Arrangements, the PE takes your props and "rearranges" them in a simplified manner.  I'll start from the end for the sake of intuition:

• Use Preview lays out the elements just like you've drawn them.  This is what I use 98% of the time.
  • Nested - I *think* this crams the elements together in a some-what similar way to the above effect, but with no spaces between. (Don't quote me on this.)
  • Vertical Stack - takes each element and piles it on top of each other.   To the computer, your 4 rooflines would be stacked on top of each other.  
  • Horizontal Stack - takes each element and lines them up from left to right.  To the computer, your 4 rooflines would be stacked in a row.   This is the best option for applying an effect to a single, linear roofline.

There are situations when you'd use the 4 effects effects, but I usually stick to the Preview.  I still become confused by them, and the easiest way for me to understand them was to make 4 groups with each of them and figure out when it might be helpful.

I believe stacking aligns props to the left and bottom, unrolls every string, and then stacks them up or to the right.  To the computer, it essentially looks like a giant matrix.  If you have custom props (like a candy cane, for example), the HS preview will flatten the prop to a single line.  But, if you're working with a roofline, it will line it up rather intuitively.

• Like 2

@lkcubsrule provided a great explanation. The only thing I would add is that nested arrangements are mainly for nested stars. So even though each star has a different number of pixels (commonly 20, 30, and 50), if you draw an effect on the nested group that moves left or right, the effect moves evenly across all of the stars.

Matt