Light-O-Rama Forums

Local news just found out about my display

Ebuechner

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on dealing with the local news. 

My past experience with them as they take everything out of context. 

3 minutes ago, jtomason said:

Short, direct, factual answers that don't leave room for interpretation.  

Whoa.....I thought it was the news not the witness stand. hahah!  Oh wait this is America, sorry I forgot.

Think before you speak-only tell them what they need to know- keep it simple and expected to be misquoted or wrong numbers..thats my words of wisdom as we get ready for 2 more interviews on Friday- 

Also, be aware that once they air your interview, you will see an increase in traffic!

Congrats and good luck!

Last year we had one of the news morning shows come out but there was no interview. He showed up about 4:30 in the morning and asked us to turn on the lights. I think my sister called them  this time and sent them a video.  Now they're asking for an interview

I do not like the media, once they started getting inbedded within our units, its gone too far!

I have seen them drive by but I have a simple No Tresspassing sign 1/2 way down my driveway and from past experiences people are too lazy to walk to my door. Maybe its the video cameras and my concealed carry signs! At least they leave me alone.

JR

19 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Whoa.....I thought it was the news not the witness stand. hahah!  Oh wait this is America, sorry I forgot.

I've been interviewed a half-dozen times and can see a marked difference in the factuality of the final news segment based on how I answered the questions posed.   It's sad, but true - and the more it involves anything that is unfamiliar to the reporter, the more likely the reporting will be inaccurate - hence the need for those short, factual answers.  I should also add that couching these things in more familiar language is important as well.

In other words, if I were being interviewed about my light show and was asked, "how does this all work?", I'd answer with something like "It's all computer controlled; I program the lights for each song." versus "Well, there are 5 light controllers here, each one tells each strand of lights when to come on and off, and you sequence them for each song".    Both answers are correct, but the media will assuredly not interpret the latter properly.  

Well they're coming over tonight for,

filming,   taping,   recording,

Whatever we're calling it these days. We'll see how it goes:wacko:

• Like 1

In my defense when the camera turned on my brain disappeared while trying to find words to keep it simple.

http://www.wkow.com/category/135153/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=12984822

And as promised they misquoted. He asked how I got started that's when I told him I bought a box from Menards to hook up to some lights that played music, then later on I started hooking them up to a computer with my own music.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

I liked your response to "Why do you keep doing it??" :)

Yep.  Great answer!