Light-O-Rama Forums

Surprise Gift From My Better Half!!!

BMurray

So I received an email from Best Buy thinking it was MY receipt for HER gift.  I opened it up and it's a receipt from HER for a DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter Drone...... WOOP!!!!  WOOP!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!! I've been talking about getting one for a year now to film my display.  She thinks I'm  crazy and don't need one.  OMG!  Crazy cool.  Now,   I gotta put on my acting hat and go all crazy on CHRISTMAS (which won't be hard).  Gotta love the wife cuz she puts up with insanity of my hobby.  

While I'm excited that you're getting everything you want/need, if this wasn't supposed to land in your hands, you should come clean and talk to the other half ASAP... don't wanna ruin the holidays with a fake smile. I'm sure you've got a plan, so I'm not going to bother adding more. I just think if I accidentally sent someone the receipt to their gift, I'd want to be told so I can adjust accordingly or explain the receipt. (i.e. "I know how much you've wanted such and such, so I thought I'd get it for you.")

Just my two cents on the matter.

4 hours ago, lightingnewb said:

While I'm excited that you're getting everything you want/need, if this wasn't supposed to land in your hands, you should come clean and talk to the other half ASAP... don't wanna ruin the holidays with a fake smile. I'm sure you've got a plan, so I'm not going to bother adding more. I just think if I accidentally sent someone the receipt to their gift, I'd want to be told so I can adjust accordingly or explain the receipt. (i.e. "I know how much you've wanted such and such, so I thought I'd get it for you.")

Just my two cents on the matter.

Yes... I am suuuuper excited!!!   So while" coming clean" might be the  "honorable"  thing to do it would severely deflate my wife's and my children's excitement for there "surprise" and seeing me happy on Christmas. THAT is what makes her happy ?.   Nope.. Not gonna tell.. Gonna go to the grave with this one.. Lol.  So maybe 'acting' crazy was the wrong word choice.  Ain't going to be any 'acting'  at all.  Just can't wait to show her how happy I am?

How many of you out there have found out about something that someone was going to give or do for you and kept it yourself to keep the "surprise"  intact?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BMurray said:

How many of you out there have found out about something that someone was going to give or do for you and kept it yourself to keep the "surprise"  intact?

I have several times. Half of the joy is watching the anticipation on someones face when you open a gift they got for you, why take that away. I can tell when my wife got me something that I really wanted as she gets all giddy when I grab the gift, it's like she is more excited about it then I am.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BMurray said:

So I received an email from Best Buy thinking it was MY receipt for HER gift.  I opened it up and it's a receipt from HER for a DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter Drone...... WOOP!!!!  WOOP!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!! I've been talking about getting one for a year now to film my display.  She thinks I'm  crazy and don't need one.  OMG!  Crazy cool.  Now,   I gotta put on my acting hat and go all crazy on CHRISTMAS (which won't be hard).  Gotta love the wife cuz she puts up with insanity of my hobby.  

So the wife is pulling the ole "you don't need one of those" routines and then BAM surprises you with it.......gotta like that!  Now we're expecting some good video footage after Christmas ya know.  Must say the prices on these are getting reasonable.  If I had one it would make me nervous flying it around the house with neighbors and it crashing or something.

Just remember that a real smile always has "wrinkle lines" around the eyes. Without those lines, she'll know you're faking it. Make sure you practice before the big day. (and you might want to get a cheapie drone to practice flying around the house or yard to get the hang of things before you ruin a new, high priced Phantom.)

Don't forget, when the camera comes out,, say "Wrinkle lines" :) 

I just got the phantom 4. It takes awesome pics. Haven't done the Christmas display yet....
9c030586de8d136e92f053f9f462280a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend gave me his drone to video my display. I have 2 videos done and posted on my webpage. It's a Chroma Blade equipped with a 4K camera. It's an awesome machine and I'll be posting more videos in the near future. They really are a fun toy.....expensive but fun.

kevinkolak.com 

2016 Nutrocker

https://vimeo.com/195098866

Edited by Archer
Added a second video link showing use of a drone.

12 hours ago, Archer said:

My friend gave me his drone to video my display. I have 2 videos done and posted on my webpage. It's a Chroma Blade equipped with a 4K camera. It's an awesome machine and I'll be posting more videos in the near future. They really are a fun toy.....expensive but fun.

kevinkolak.com 

2016 Nutrocker

https://vimeo.com/195098866

That was a snoozer.

15 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Is the Phantom one of the drones you need to register?

Yes, in the US, any drone over 1/2 pound must be registered.   There are also guidelines on how it may be flown, and non-hobby flight requires a drone pilot's license.   More info here:  https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

Edited by jtomason

5 hours ago, jtomason said:

Yes, in the US, any drone over 1/2 pound must be registered.   There are also guidelines on how it may be flown, and non-hobby flight requires a drone pilot's license.   More info here:  https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

I don't think that's what he's talking about. The Phantom is set up so you have to register with the company before it will even fly. Then I believe the GPS takes over and won't allow you to fly it in restricted airspace.  I don't own one myself but this is what I've pieced together from others. I'm registered but I mainly fly giant scale fixed-wing aircraft. (part of their registration process includes the FAA)

Edited by Ebuechner

1 hour ago, Ebuechner said:

I don't think that's what he's talking about. The Phantom is set up so you have to register with the company before it will even fly. Then I believe the GPS takes over and won't allow you to fly it in restricted airspace. 

Yes, you have to register it with DJI, and it shouldn't let you fly in restricted airspace (or where there is a temporary flight restriction), but that's just the tip of the iceberg.  To legally fly the drone in the US as a recreational flier, you must register it with the FAA.  If your flight is non-recreational, then you must be a licensed UAS (drone) pilot.    Rules apply to both categories of flight.    I'm a licensed UAS pilot, incidentally.  

Yes, you have to register it with DJI, and it shouldn't let you fly in restricted airspace (or where there is a temporary flight restriction), but that's just the tip of the iceberg.  To legally fly the drone in the US as a recreational flier, you must register it with the FAA.  If your flight is non-recreational, then you must be a licensed UAS (drone) pilot.    Rules apply to both categories of flight.    I'm a licensed UAS pilot, incidentally.  

That's my next step, UAS pilot rating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2016 at 0:51 AM, BMurray said:

So where you able to pull off the surprised look? :o:lol:

Or was she on to you. :angry:

• The topic was locked