Light-O-Rama Forums

Superstar? Is it worth it?

DisneyMatt10

On 2/24/2017 at 9:50 PM, jerry72 said:

I have seen no news on S5, is there talk f it happening this year? Maybe they will release a 16 CCR for Superstar at the same time.

LOR has said that they hope to have the Beta version out by Christmas Expo (which is next week).

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

LOR has said that they hope to have the Beta version out by Christmas Expo (which is next week).

SOunds like  winner to me. 

11 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Will have to wait and see if the new features are worth upgrading this year as I'm pretty much done sequencing for this year's show.  Probably will wait till next year to upgrade as usual since the new version comes out too late for myself and I bet most people who get started early sequencing.

I'm going to assume that if the S5 beta comes out next week at Expo, it will come out of beta somewhere near the end of the year. Therefore, I would assume that darn near all of us will be sequencing in S4 this year. I also have most of my 2017 sequences completed (although I will tweek them now and he from now until I shut down the show in January).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something reading through this post where:

On 12/20/2016 at 10:01 PM, BrianBruderer said:

Right now is customer support time. After the new year Matt Brown and myself will be working on integrating SS and PE and SE and it will be known as S5. The plan is to make it so you can use any of the 3 during any portion of your sequence. It will also mean you no longer have to use copy/paste or a subsequence to get SS sequences in with your other lights. As for when it will come out, I can't say.

Brian mentions Superstar, Pixel Editor and Sequence Editor in one for S5.  On the homepage for LOR: "

This just in.   ShowTime 5 sequencing suite is now in full beta testing.  Sequence Editor, Pixel Editor and Visualizer are all combined into one tool.  Want to check it out?  Check our user forums for more information."

No mention of Superstar being part of this. Did something change? 

Apparently SuperStar is integrated - sort of. It's a longer answer than I want to type on my phone while my ice cream is melting. Visualizer, Sequence Editor, and Pixel Editor are combined in the new S5 sequencer.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

Superstar is still a separate program. The integration is implemented by allowing you to:

1) select an are on a motion effect line

2) right click on the selected area, select "Selected Area"

3) in the menu that pops out, select "insert superstar effect"

4) The sequencer will launch superstar, and you add your effects

5) shut down superstar and the effects automatically get sent to the sequencer and you can play them from the sequencer

8 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

Superstar is still a separate program. The integration is implemented by allowing you to:

1) select an are on a motion effect line

2) right click on the selected area, select "Selected Area"

3) in the menu that pops out, select "insert superstar effect"

4) The sequencer will launch superstar, and you add your effects

5) shut down superstar and the effects automatically get sent to the sequencer and you can play them from the sequencer

Brian I tried this but under selected area there is no option of selecting superstar effects. I downloaded s5 on the first day so I am not sure why I do not have this option.

Make sure you are on a "Motion Effect" line. Here are some steps you can follow that assume you are starting fresh and will end up with a motion effect line:

1) Launch S5 Sequencer, Select Tools > Manage Previews
2) Double click the "Default" preview to edit it.
3) Add a pixel tree. Select Prop > New from the menu. Give your new prop a name. Select the "RGB" tab on the left and make sure RGB Pixels is selected. In the center section on the Predefined tab, select "Tree 180" from the drop-down. This should default to a 16 string x 50 pixel tree. Leave the channel settings at the default values. Click the Save button to save the prop.
4) Click the Save button to save the preview.
5) Click OK to close the Manage Preview dialog.
6) Select File > New > Musical Sequence from the main menu.
7) Select a music file.
8) In the New Musical Sequence dialog, make sure the preview (second row) is set to Default (the preview you edited above).
9) Use one of the fixed timing grid options (the timing wizards aren't in there yet).
10) Click the Create button to create the sequence.
11) Type Ctrl-S (or File > Save from the menu) to save the new sequence.
12) Select a range of cells on a single row of the sequence.
13) Right-click on the selected area and choose: Selected Area > Insert SuperStar Effect
14) After a few seconds you should see SuperStar. Add some effects and then shut down superstar.

Brian I tried the above but when I click on selected area I don't see  insert SuperStar Effect  what am I missing thanks Dennis

Not sure why it is not working. After selecting a range of cells and you right click on the selected area, a menu should appear and one of the options in the menu is "Selected Area." Hover the mouse over "Selected Area" and another menu should fly out to the side, the first three options in that menu should be:

Insert Twinkle Effect

Insert Shimmer Effect

Insert SuperStar Effect

What options do you see in the menu?

Brian here is what I see 

insert twinkle   insert shimmer   matching fit   chase    apply color    skew effects   clear

I don't know why that is happening. It would be best to submit it as a bug in the Sequencer in the Beta forum.

I am in exactly the same situation as Dennis.  I don't find an option to "Insert SuperStar effect".  I see the same options that Dennis reported.

Also extracting from your description above:

13 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

1) Launch S5 Sequencer, Select Tools > Manage Previews
2) Double click the "Default" preview to edit it.
3) Add a pixel tree. Select Prop > New from the menu. Give your new prop a name. Select the "RGB" tab on the left and make sure RGB Pixels is selected. In the center section on the Predefined tab, select "Tree 180" from the drop-down. This should default to a 16 string x 50 pixel tree. Leave the channel settings at the default values. Click the Save button to save the prop.

There is no menu on Preview design.  There is a "Create Prop" button.  It brings up a prop for an arch and I finally found where to change that.

Dennis and/or k6ccc, send me an email at brian@superstarlights.com and I would like to arrange to remote into your computer and see what is happening.

-Brian Bruderer

I have some updated data.  If I create a new sequence using a Preview, all the groups (what were props in Visualizer) show up properly and I CAN select a group and get to Insert SuperStar Effects.  However if I open an existing sequence (legacy export from superStar) and use the same preview, none of the groupings show up and I can not select an area and insert SuperStar effects.  For example my 12 string pixel tree is a group that contains the 12 strings in a new sequence, but 12 individual strings when I open an existing sequence and assign the same preview.

To be honest, I do not yet know all the workings of the Sequencer. What I do know is that to get to the menu item "insert superstar effect", you must on a motion effect row.

OK, when I did it with a new sequence as mentioned above, it worked.  But GOD is that awkward.  That likely would be OK if you sequence your entire sequence in Sequencer and maybe throw in a couple of SuperStar effects.  However if you are (as I am) sequencing your entire show in SuperStar and maybe throw in a few Pixel Editor effects, it will be horrible!  I hope it gets better.

Brian I got it now I was clicking on a range off cells in a superstar sequence instead of the pixel editor cells.