Light-O-Rama Forums

Superstar? Is it worth it?

DisneyMatt10

Hey all,

I'm looking at next year's show, and I was considering adding SuperStar. . . But I know nothing about SuperStar!! My questions are:

What are the main benefits of Superstar?

What features does it add that PE doesn't have?

I'm not doing any type of matrix, just lining my eaves with CCR'S, I also have 4 CCR arches, 6 CCR candy canes, 27 mini spiral trees each made of CCr's, and 5 pixel wreaths in various sizes ranging from 100-500 pixel nodes on each. With all of those various props, would I get much of a benefit out of SuperStar, or is sticking to PE going to be sufficient?? 

Any advice you all can provide me about SuperStar is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

~Matt

15 minutes ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

I'm looking at next year's show, and I was considering adding SuperStar. . . But I know nothing about SuperStar!! My questions are:

What are the main benefits of Superstar?

I HIGHLY recommend SuperStar.  It gives far more detailed control down to the pixel level than PE does.  As SuperStar has the ability to export in "legacy" format, you can use it with something lower than a Pro level license, and you can control devices that won't work on an enhanced network.

Just for truth in advertising - I sequence everything in SuperStar.  This is the 5th year that I have used SS, and because I replaced my two non-enhanced capable controllers early this year, I am running everything as an intensity file from SuperStar.  I played with PE during the beta in early 2015 and never could get PE to do anything useful, so my opinion is biased.

1 hour ago, service call said:

What do you mean by "non-enhanced capable controllers"?

Primarily that means AC controllers prior to Gen-3.  Also ServoDog, iDMX, DIO32.  Several other will work, but require firmware updates in order to operate on an Enhanced LOR network.

• Like 2

Not to derail the thread, but does anybody know when S5 is coming out? I am really curious to see if LOR is able to marry the SS and PE programs together into a more functional pixel designer and what the upgrade cost of the software would be.

I have used PE to sequence my shows the past 2 years and while it is nice, k6ccc is right, SS gives you way more control over what you want to do. 

Rumor only on S5, but the current guess is S5 will come out in Beta in the first quarter of 2017.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Right now is customer support time. After the new year Matt Brown and myself will be working on integrating SS and PE and SE and it will be known as S5. The plan is to make it so you can use any of the 3 during any portion of your sequence. It will also mean you no longer have to use copy/paste or a subsequence to get SS sequences in with your other lights. As for when it will come out, I can't say.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

Right now is customer support time. After the new year Matt Brown and myself will be working on integrating SS and PE and SE and it will be known as S5. The plan is to make it so you can use any of the 3 during any portion of your sequence. It will also mean you no longer have to use copy/paste or a subsequence to get SS sequences in with your other lights. As for when it will come out, I can't say.

That sounds great to be able to use any of the 3 during any portion of a sequence.  Looking forward to this and that layering option in SS!  Sooner the better as some of us get started early sequencing. 

The future S5 sounds awesome, but if detailed design meetings haven't even taken place yet, I can pretty much tell you the features Brian mentioned above will not be out until 2018 baring some miracle. 

19 minutes ago, robigd said:

The future S5 sounds awesome, but if detailed design meetings haven't even taken place yet, I can pretty much tell you the features Brian mentioned above will not be out until 2018 baring some miracle. 

Going to try using XLights for sequencing this season in addition to using LOR since you're probably right about the time frame.  I hope you're wrong though....LOL!

17 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Going to try using XLights for sequencing this season in addition to using LOR since you're probably right about the time frame.  I hope you're wrong though....LOL!

It would be beyond impressive if they even had a beta version out by Q3 of next year. If I understand correctly, and I could absolutely be wrong and apologize if I am, but you basically have 2 developers who developed their own products on their own and haven't even begun meetings talking about marrying them together. Between design, development, testing, then beta testing, I personally wouldn't count on it in 2017, but when it is done, it will be amazing! Also, if they are going to be heads down developing S5, I wouldn't count on many new features in the existing version of PE, as I was hoping for additional effects.

Edited by robigd

The design is in place and we have done a significant part of the coding already, but had to suspend work once things got busy with customer support. I am confident it will be ready for the 2017 Christmas season. And we fully realize the sooner the better.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

OK, If I have S4 Pro, and am thinking about adding Super Star Vs. the new S5, how will this be priced out?

Do I get SS now and then have to pay more / again for S5?

Whats going to be the best way?

When will S5 be out, etc.

Thanks,

Jack

In order to update to S5, all you need is a current software subscription. If you upgrade LOR to a higher level or purchase a new or upgraded SuperStar license, that automatically includes a one year LOR software subscription. Sine there is no higher LOR license level than what you already have, that part does not apply, but a SuperStar purchase or upgrade would apply. I will be doing that in the next couple months - I will need to upgrade my SuperStar license from my current 40 CCR level this year. My LOR software subscription should have expired middle of 2016 so I will need to renew it (by way of a SS upgrade) in order to go to S5.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I have seen no news on S5, is there talk f it happening this year? Maybe they will release a 16 CCR for Superstar at the same time.

On 12/20/2016 at 10:01 PM, BrianBruderer said:

What I really need is to able to extract the SS intensity files from a SE sequence.  I lost my hard drive, and back up drive all in the same week, and have a couple songs that lost the .sup files.  The sequence still runs, but I can't edit the intensity file now, and need to make changes.  I have read where this is not a top priority, but it really should be part of the next upgrade.

6 hours ago, jerry72 said:

I have seen no news on S5, is there talk f it happening this year? Maybe they will release a 16 CCR for Superstar at the same time.

S5 should be out in beta hopefully by this spring, Matt has his head buried in it as we speak.

SPaschall

I also think that having to pay another $100 just so I can export a 16 strand pixel tree is a bit much.  Having said that, it's a great program.