Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie needs help

Khart

I am new at all this. Recently I got two 16 channel controllers and have been able to run shows.  I just bought a CCR ribbon tree with pixcon16 controller.  I am confused and have not seen exact mapping of system.   Does this daisey chain into the controllers?   I also see something about running it off a internet network?  I thought I just had to run a cat5 to the last controller.  Also what do you recommend as the software to run?   Thanks for the help. 

DO NOT confuse the TCPIP communication with the RS485 communication types. The pixcon16 has both and both use the RJ45 connectors for Cat5/6 cables. Read the manual carefully before connecting to them. Yes, you can daisy chain to the pixcon16 BUT ONLY via the RJ45 connector on it, which is why you need to read the manual and locate it/them. There is also a TCPIP connection, also RJ45 for ethernet communication which is much faster than the RS485 BUT, its not the same. Normally to talk to that type, you would connect the pixcon16 to a GB Switch or router. Your computer would cable to that same switch or router and you would configure the computer's IP address of that port to be similar to that of the pixcon16 or change the IP address of the pixcon16 to something close to that of the computer. Read the manual!

Again, do not cross connect the RS485 and the TCPIP ports or you'll let out the magic smoke from either or both the controller/computer