Light-O-Rama Forums

License Level

cdlouke

I have a 16 Pixie Controller running 16 strings of 50 smart pixels. What license level of superstar do I need to be able to export to the sequence editor using the instant sequence.

As always much thanks for the help.

Yeah,it is kind of overkill especially since most of the cards out there are 16 ports. Brian should consider a 16 CCR license between the 8 and 24 so it covers all these 12 and 16 ribbon trees.

On 12/18/2016 at 9:32 AM, Mr. P said:

Yeah,it is kind of overkill especially since most of the cards out there are 16 ports. Brian should consider a 16 CCR license between the 8 and 24 so it covers all these 12 and 16 ribbon trees.

Thats the reason i have not upgraded yet, if that ever happens, i will upgrade and can start creating my own sequences.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 10:36 PM, jerry72 said:

SO anyone heard anything about a 16ccr license? Brian has been quit on this subject.

Brian has previously commented about the 16/24 CCR license and costs.  I don't have a link handy, but I am sure you can find it with a quick search.

I have the 24 CCR SS but I never really understood the big jump from 8 to 24. Most users just want it for a 16 CCR tree. It's like a family of four who have a choice between buying a one bedroom house for $100k or a six bedroom house for $600k, what happened to the three bedroom house which is what most would opt for?

I can understand the bigger jump in the upper tiers as by that time users are using SS for their entire display and not just a tree.

Edited by Mr. P

After updating my license a couple of times I started to get frustrated.

Why am I paying for a software package that split up into several different parts that can't even communicate with itself ( different file formats for everything).

I thought the costs were quite exorbitant and a little greedy considering some of the software is a copy of other people's work.

When my channel count grew and they're asking for more money and I was experiencing lag problems partially because they're using outdated file formats and I needed 3 programs open to accomplish one task I decided to make a change. 

I'm hoping that their S5 will correct all these problems.

I'm also hoping that the S5 will come out with a different price structure for license that doesn't look as greedy as it does now (hint).

I appreciate the light O Rama people and I'm certainly rooting for them to do something to win me back because after all they gave me the start in this Hobby.

• Like 1

I'm often put off by the sanctimonious attitude of Xlights users.  It bugs the snot out of me to read so many people who don't even know what real sequencing is crow about how Xlights is the ONLY way to go if one uses pixels.  

Excuse me, but I manage to use the *gasp* Sequence Editor to do all my pixels.  There, I said it.  True, I only ran about 4800 pixels last year, but the SE seems to light the pixels when I want, it seems to light them in the exact color I want, and lights them in the exact order I want and for the length of time I want.  I'm not sure why I should take the time to learn a different sequencer that does all those same things. 

Maybe if I had a big billboard in my yard (or wanted to cover my entire house and show cartoons on a grainy video screen) or if I wanted to use all the same canned effects that EVERYONE seems to use on their pixel trees I'd feel different.

But I don't.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

After updating my license a couple of times I started to get frustrated.

Why am I paying for a software package that split up into several different parts that can't even communicate with itself ( different file formats for everything).

I thought the costs were quite exorbitant and a little greedy considering some of the software is a copy of other people's work.

When my channel count grew and they're asking for more money and I was experiencing lag problems partially because they're using outdated file formats and I needed 3 programs open to accomplish one task I decided to make a change. 

I'm hoping that their S5 will correct all these problems.

I'm also hoping that the S5 will come out with a different price structure for license that doesn't look as greedy as it does now (hint).

I appreciate the light O Rama people and I'm certainly rooting for them to do something to win me back because after all they gave me the start in this Hobby.

Had not heard anything about S5, is that in development?

4 hours ago, jerry72 said:

Had not heard anything about S5, is that in development?

Yes, S5 is coming.  At this point, mostly rumors about changes and timeline.  People within LOR have said that at least a major part of S5 will be a better integration of PE, SE, and SS.  As for timeline, my speculation will be similar to S4 two years ago.  My speculation is that S5 will be released in beta sometime in next couple months, and come out of beta sometime in the middle of the year.  I repeat that this is speculation only.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, S5 is coming.  At this point, mostly rumors about changes and timeline.  People within LOR have said that at least a major part of S5 will be a better integration of PE, SE, and SS.  As for timeline, my speculation will be similar to S4 two years ago.  My speculation is that S5 will be released in beta sometime in next couple months, and come out of beta sometime in the middle of the year.  I repeat that this is speculation only.

I can live with that. Will be great if they do come out with a 16 CCR, right now i do simple stuff for my mega tree in Xlights, but would prefer SS, much more features for it.

• 10 months later...
On 1/8/2017 at 2:57 PM, George Simmons said:

I'm often put off by the sanctimonious attitude of Xlights users.  It bugs the snot out of me to read so many people who don't even know what real sequencing is crow about how Xlights is the ONLY way to go if one uses pixels.  

Excuse me, but I manage to use the *gasp* Sequence Editor to do all my pixels.  There, I said it.  True, I only ran about 4800 pixels last year, but the SE seems to light the pixels when I want, it seems to light them in the exact color I want, and lights them in the exact order I want and for the length of time I want.  I'm not sure why I should take the time to learn a different sequencer that does all those same things. 

Maybe if I had a big billboard in my yard (or wanted to cover my entire house and show cartoons on a grainy video screen) or if I wanted to use all the same canned effects that EVERYONE seems to use on their pixel trees I'd feel different.

But I don't.   

Does this mean you do not use SS?  I am not a very good sequence author, but I try.  I added a megatree this year and was put off at the cost of SS. I went to xLights and have been entirely frustrated as some of the most basic functions for AC lights using 3 LOR controllers.  The pixel controller is a Holidaycoro Alphapix 16 and it works well. 

I am at a point that I am frustrated with XLs in my mixed environment.  Sorry for the diatribe, I just need a solution that doesn't require me more time to learn that to execute. I am just not sure that SS is that product.   

Yours very un-sancimoniously, 

Robert aka zeighty

If you use light o Rama  to sequence  than the pixel editor  is close to the same as X-Lights  but easier to incorporate into a light o Rama sequence . Now if you really want to controll every pixel  then SuperStar is what you want , but a little harder to learn  how to use ,but once you master  it you  can't beat the results .

Edited by Dennis Laff

Also remember that you can try Superstar without purchasing anything.  The only things it won't do are the functions that would allow you to control lights.