Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem with CCPs

Lee T.

I am running 3 CCPs (CC Pixel 100s each with two strings of lights) with each of the three controllers having its own ID (7, 8, and 9).  They are running on my regular network using the USB-485B with Booster.  This USB has connections for two different outputs--one for the CCPs and one to run 5 of the 16 channel controllers.  My problem is that all of the CCPs don't always turn on.  Sometimes one string is off while five are on.  This also happens in other combinations at various times.  Other times, they all work fine.

I want to take the CCPs off of the regular network and run them off of a USB-485 HS (the red one).  This is where I need assistance. I don't know how to do this. Can I just plug in the high speed USB-485 and run the CCPs or must I set up a new network?  If a new network, how would I do this?

Right now I am running the following:  Regular Network - five 16-channel controllers and the three CCPs;  Network A has six CCRs and Network B has six CCRs each with a USB-485 HS.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Lee T. said:

Right now I am running the following:  Regular Network - five 16-channel controllers and the three CCPs;  Network A has six CCRs and Network B has six CCRs each with a USB-485 HS.

Do you have another RS485HS that is not being used?3

Alan...

Edited by default

Thanks, Alan.  Don't rush because I am going to bed now.  It's 12:19 AM in NJ and this old guy needs the sleep.  Will check in again later in the morning.  Again, thanks much for the assistance.  Night.

If you are only running 6 CCR's on a 485HS, then you have (in my opinion) plenty of room to add the 3 CCP's to one of the networks.

One thing I would check is how you have them configured. Look in the Hardware Utility and make sure that the mode you have them configured for there (Dual Normal, etc.) matches up with what you have programmed in the SE.

The benefit of doing what Don is suggesting is that you wouldn't have to use your new RS485HS adapter and you get to keep it as a spare. ;) Either way if you start moving the CCP's around to different (or new) networks it affects the way your current Sequences will play the CCP's once everything is moved. At this point it sounds like you have to either move the CCP's to another Network or add a network because the Regular network is running at a speed of 56K and it's to slow for the CCP's.

If these are newer 16 channel controllers (GEN 3) you could try upping the speed on the regular network to see if it helps. If they are older units (non Gen 3) then it won't do any good.

How many songs do you have sequenced with the CCP's on the Regular network as they are now?
Do you use Superstar?
Do you have a Visualization file for the CCP's

I'm just thinking ahead of what will have to be changed for it all to work the way you want. It's all very do-able, it's just going to take some effort on your part.

Alan...

Thank you, Alan and Don, for your suggestions and comments. 

I decided to go with adding a Network C.  I have 9 songs and only had to change the network for the CCPs which took about half an hour.  I tested them out this afternoon and everything seemed to work fine.  I went this root because when I purchased my "screen" package from WowLights, Mike said it would be best to only run 6 CCRs per high speed USB for best results.

For some reason, when I went outside to check them out tonight, all the lights on the Regular Network and the new Network C seemed to be brighter.   Also, I use SuperStar but not the Visualization file.  That is next on my list of things to learn--but not until January or February!

Again, thank you so much.  Merry Christmas.

Lee

Glad to here all is well.

Now that you have a couple of networks, please take the time to document what you have done. It is so easy to forget what you have done in a years time. This is an example of what I do. This shows me at a glance of what I have already setup and other info that is relevant to the whole setup. You don't have to do this, but I would really recommend you document it somehow it'll be one less headache next year. :)

LOR%20Comm%20Ports3.png

Alan...

That is an excellent idea and, as you stated, it will make next year's setup a lot easier.  I just made up the chart and printed it out.  Tomorrow I will get it completed.  Thanks again.

• The topic was locked