Light-O-Rama Forums

Win10 update coincidence

ItsMeBobO

It is the slowest night of the season so far due to ice in the forecast.   I saw the 'Windows is about to restart' message and decided to let it run since the street was clear.  Took much longer than I expected but still under 5 minutes.

I'm running a Windows XP based computer to run my show.  One of the few advantages of an old OS is that Microsoft is no longer sending out updates, so I don't have to worry much about the show computer.  I do have it do a daily re-boot a few minutes before my year round landscaping show has it's scheduled start (the landscaping doesn't actually start until it gets a trigger from a light sensor when it gets dark).  All the LOR shows files are on my server (it runs Windows Server 2012 R2) and that does get updates.  Yesterday morning I logged into the server, and had the message that an update required a re-boot and it would do so in one day.  No worries, there was a scheduled re-boot in about eight hours on Friday afternoon shortly before the show computer does it's daily re-boot.  Just let it go do it's thing.

A few minutes after the scheduled re-boots, and I have received the start-up E-Mail for the server (about eight minutes later than I should have), but not for the show computer - hmmmmm.  So I remote into the show computer and Zara radio is attempting to play songs, but can't find the files.  I put all the pieces together and know exactly what happened.  The server did it's re-boot, but because of the Windows update, it took about eight minutes longer than expected.  Six minutes after the server started it's restart, the show computer started it's restart.  The only problem was that when the show computer was completed and attempted to log into the domain, the server was no up yet.  The show computer will log in locally, but that does not map the network drives where the show files and Zara music files are stored. So Zara could not find the music files - oops!  The easy remote solution (I was 26 miles away) was simply to re-boot the show computer and let it log in.  That worked fine.  I think I need to change the timing a little to allow more time for the server to come back up before the show computer re-starts....

Sometimes you just want to live dangerously.

My Charter so called high speed connection has been horrible all weekend, going out completely or slowing to dial up speeds.

Miip still hanging in there though.

• The topic was locked