Light-O-Rama Forums

Water in RGB strip

Brian Dietrich

All,

I have 2 mega trees with HC pixel strips in waterproof silicone tubes with pre-attached waterproof connectors.  4 of the strips are holding water in the bottom and there are some random lights staying on that are submerged in water.  Apparently there are some upper sections that are not as waterproof as it should be or sold as. 

Should I cut a small slit or drill a small hole in the bottom of the silicone tube to drain it?  Will the lights work properly after removing the water?  What is the best practice? 

Thanks in advance.

Brian

As a general rule of thumb, the water is likely getting in via the not quite waterproofing at the top of the strip.  Adding a bunch of silicon to the top MAY prevent entry.  Now that the water is there, you can't make it any worse by providing a drain at the bottom.  As far as will the strips resume proper operation after drying out, the best answer is Maybe.  I've never had issues with silicon tube strips getting wet, but the strips that are in my pixel star have gotten at least damp several times.  I never have been able to get the star completely waterproofed.  So far, I have been able to dry them out and they worked OK.  In fact, I have a sequence called StarHeater.las that slowly cycles the 360 pixels in the star such that about 80% are on at any given time.  That sequence is in a show that runs most of the day for the express purpose of warming up the star.  I also have the star and tree running a twinkling Christmas Tree sequence overnight.  That was done more for security, but serves the same function to warm up the star and dry out any moisture.

The star has 30 pixel per meter strips (not encased in anything) hot glued to the inside front of the star.  This is what it looks like inside:

Star_pixels_assembled.sm.jpg

Or the rest of that web page:  http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html#Star

Jim,

I really appreciate your quick response.  I will drain them out and hope for the best.  What a pain pulling down the tree to waterproof the top, but I guess that's part of the madness.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Brian

Good luck!

Understand the issue with getting to the top.  If I need to get to the top with the tree upright, I have to rent a taller ladder.  Fortunately the Home Depot two miles away has them.  I can get to within a foot below the top of the tree with the ladder I own, but the very top of the tree and star are out of reach (at least safely).

If you can run some rubbing alcohol through the silicone tube once you have a drain hole. The alcohol will absorb the water to remove it from the strip. Alcohol is safe to the silicon and electronics and what's left will evaporate faster than the water will

I experienced the same issue with one of my leaping arches CCR... I pulled the waterproof cap down and let it dry out for a few house. Blew it out with some compressed air. Added silicone and pushed cap back down. Then wrapped with electrical tape. You could use liquid tape as well and just dip the end although could be hard with a mega tree. Good luck and I feel you pain. Water and pixels are not a good mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk