Light-O-Rama Forums

Want to wrap windows in RGB, What to get

brichi

Hey guys, I used to do programs using just power boxes and on/off fading programs. I recently moved, sold all my old stuff thinking i wouldn't get into this again but i have the itch do my windows

so my newbie questions since i never did RGB before are

1. Am i purchasing the right stuff by getting the following, remember i have nothing right now so is this all i need?

rolls of 16 foot smart RGB being i want to do twinkling, chase patterns, etc....  http://store.lightorama.com/cocoriiic.html

this control box, icon 16 - http://store.lightorama.com/pipico.html

2. I know i need software but which version of S4 to run "smart rub"?

3. can i run cat5 right from my computer to a switch to the pixcon or do I have to use the USB converter? i know on my previous setup i had to use one but that was a different company

4. I'm assuming if i have a run longer the 16 feet like wrapping a 24' rectangle i would have to use 2 RGB rolls, cut to length and then use 2 channels on the pixcon 16 and programming the software to start a chase on channel 1 and continue to channel 2 if i want to chase 1 - 24' rectangle?

thank you guys for any help you can be, really looking forward to stepping up my windows, right now i just did white rope lighting with 1 controller like you can see in this video and i hate how "basic" it looks being i came from 64 channels worth of boxes and controlling in my old home -  

my 2 cents worth (haven't used a pixcon):

1.  you may be better off using pixel strings rather than ribbon (easier to cut and join (usually), easier to go around corners)

2. looking at the comparison guide you'll probably want the Pro version for pixel control and DMX http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

3. looking at the manual it looks like you can connect the pixcon directly to your LAN (interesting)

4.  if using pixel strings you can join them together as 1 continuous string (up to 340 on each port according to the manual), or cut them down to length; BUT you'll need power injection. 

Edited by OzAz
accidental send

thank you!   I have been doing a lot of research since I got home, looks like I can use a pixcon 16 and 2 12v p/s' to power it up to handle all the ribbon or strings depending on my route

now to learn how to set this all up in the software, lol

I too prefer pixel strings, to strips. I mount to PVC pipe with hot glue at about 3 inch spacing. I did one year with dumb RGB strips around my windows and didn't care for the look, so moved to pixels which I love.

They are also much more waterproof and robust IMO. These are the ones I use controlled by several Sandevices controllers.using LOR software

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-WS2811-pixel-node-100pcs-a-string-IP68-rated/701799_735789822.html

Ray Wu is the go to guy for pixels or strings if you are going the DIY route. Email him direct for a quote and the best deal on shipping.

ray@rita-light.com

I would like to add my two cents to this, the pixcon16 is great if most of your pixel strings are going to be in a localized area such as a pixel tree. According to your original post you want to decorate windows so that tells me the strings will be spread out across the front of your house and this may give you problems. Windows are better served by 2-3 four port controllers which can be spread out so extensions aren't too long rather then just one large controller. Pixels are finicky when it comes to any sort of distance and unless you are willing to start messing with null pixels and power injection you may run into some issues.

Pixels that have extensions over 10-15 feet will normally need null pixels and/or power injection added to them so everything works properly, some can go longer and some even shorter.

I would highly recommend that you do a good layout with measurements and decide what would best suit your needs before you make any purchases.

each window will require 1 LED strip or pixel string so i can do single boxes at each window and run cat5 to a 8 port switch maybe?  it will definitely be like 10 to 20 foot runs made if i run them all neat in the siding of the house

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

I too prefer pixel strings, to strips. I mount to PVC pipe with hot glue at about 3 inch spacing. I did one year with dumb RGB strips around my windows and didn't care for the look, so moved to pixels which I love.

They are also much more waterproof and robust IMO. These are the ones I use controlled by several Sandevices controllers.using LOR software

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-WS2811-pixel-node-100pcs-a-string-IP68-rated/701799_735789822.html

Ray Wu is the go to guy for pixels or strings if you are going the DIY route. Email him direct for a quote and the best deal on shipping.

ray@rita-light.com

thank you for the info! are you mounting them onto the outside of the pvc pipe with glue? they look pretty wide to be able to push through a back hole and have only the light small end pop through the front, you have a pic by any chance? thanks

Edited by brichi

the main reason i wanted to do ribbon was I already have 1/3 frames built that i hook and unhook from around the windows that I have rope light mounted to, would be easier to re-use those then starting to build pvc frames

These are great to mount pixels to.

http://www.boscoyostudio.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2

I did my windows before these came out but if I have to redo I would use these to get perfect spacing and mount to a light weight  frame of some kind, since they are flexible.

I just glued to the outside of the PVC when I made my current frames.

i'm thinking of purchasing all this in the attached pic just to test and play.

I was going to do 5v pixel strings 50 count but they didn't sell the 5v p/s. figured this was easiest just to play and test. or should i go with the 5v pixels and just buy this from holidaycoro? http://www.holidaycoro.com/Rainproof-300-5v-Dual-Output-Power-Supply-p/45.htm

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 8.37.50 AM.png

If you can go with the 12 volt stuff.

When you're using 5 volt pixel nodes and strings they can suffer from voltage drop easier than the 12 volt equivalent.

Plus As you move forward you will find a lot more things compatible when you're running 12 volts

• Like 1

Do yourself a favor, since you are getting a USB485 go ahead and spend the extra $3 and get the upgraded red USB485HS as you will eventually need it anyway since you are getting into pixels.

• Like 1