Light-O-Rama Forums

My arches have fallen and they can't get up!

Mr. P

About an hour into my show tonight my 30' driveway arches fell, it was ugly. Instead of stopping the show I ran out and dragged them so they lay flat across the front yard still in order. The show must go on!!!!!

They can be repaired just didn't want to do it with all the cars out there. I laid them flat in the yard in the same order they were up and kept them flashing so now I have four straight 30' lines, still looks pretty cool.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

They can be repaired just didn't want to do it with all the cars out there. I laid them flat in the yard in the same order they were up and kept them flashing so now I have four straight 30' lines, still looks pretty cool.

Sorry to hear. Glad you have great spirits about it. Nice rebound my friend. 

The winds have been blowing pretty steady today about 25mph. just glad it was the arches and not the mega tree.

Besides, can't get mad a Mother Nature no telling what she may unleash on me next.  :)

23 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Besides, can't get mad a Mother Nature no telling what she may unleash on me next.  :)

Sorry to hear mother nature brought the fight.

Here in Oklahoma we get all the crazy weather so prep for props is a must during design and setup. And sometimes that isn't enough.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

The winds have been blowing pretty steady today about 25mph. just glad it was the arches and not the mega tree.

yep   This house has been hit by lightning twice.     You are awesome taking it in stride !

Update: I have had a bunch of great comments the last two nights about my arches laying flat since they fell so I am going to leave them flat and build some stronger arches today.

I have decided to call them flat feet since they are fallen arches :)

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 6

How are your arches constructed. I have 20' arches (5 of them) with no guy wires. We have had 40mph guys this year and they are as straight and erect today as they were the day I put them up. Maybe my design could help you or others in the future but the keys is how they are built.

How are your arches constructed. I have 20' arches (5 of them) with no guy wires. We have had 40mph gusts this year and they are as straight and erect today as they were the day I put them up. Maybe my design could help you or others in the future but the keys is how are yours built, what kind of lights are you using?

Edited by Archer
Misspelled a key word.

How are your arches constructed. I have 20' arches (5 of them) with no guy wires. We have had 40mph guys this year and they are as straight and erect today as they were the day I put them up. Maybe my design could help you or others in the future but the keys is how are yours built, what kind of lights are you using?

Edited by Archer
Misspelled a key word.

I originally used this design that I found on youtube but for the new ones I will be using 1.5 inch pvc for the extra strength. I just need to decide what lights and how to connect them. I have tons of pixel strings and pixel ribbons laying around.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Update: I have had a bunch of great comments the last two nights about my arches laying flat since they fell so I am going to leave them flat and build some stronger arches today.

I have decided to call them flat feet since they are fallen arches :)

lol, I wondered about this when I first saw the post, how many people would know they fell over or was this just a new prop Mr. P was playing with. :D

To whoever made the above video, thanks for that. There were a lot of good ideas in there. Thanks for sharing that.

Alan...

• 4 weeks later...

My did also was 3/4 move to 1inch and supported with anothe 12inches back of thr first one. Wrapped the back with green garland and hung three snow flakes from it real strong now. Had 45 mph gust two nights latter no problem hardly moved. I also put 5ft piece of 3/4 over rebar and drove the 3/4 in ground about 8 inches and the one inch over the 3/4 real strong trust me

Im considering this but I would need to do something to keep the FedEx and UPS trucks out of the driveway. This year was the first year from Halloween to Christmas that one of the two delivery companies didn't run over something. But that was mainly because this year I didn't order a ton of stuff due to health. Plus my driveway is long, at 10' apart I would need 15 arches.

JR

My arches for the last 2 years were 3/4 grey pvc condiuit, 24 feet wide, 12 foot high, had a heck of a time keeping thern straight. Next year i am having 4 new ones built out of 1" square aluminium.

• The topic was locked