Light-O-Rama Forums

Great Christmas Light Fight 2016

k6ccc

Well, it's GCLF time again.  I started this thread for a place to discuss this year's light fight, and also to ask if there is anyone on the forum that is a contestant this year?  As I'm typing this, I'm watching the first episode which aired a couple days ago, but I was busy so the DVR recorded it for me....

13 minutes ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

What month do they start filming these episodes? 

Plasmadrive was on the show in 2015.  I asked him back then when he had to be up.  Here was his answer:

> I had to be up and running by Oct 18th when they did the shoot.   The first shots were in Sept before I put the lawn stuff in.  .

Watched the first episode and wasn't a big fan of the winner that Carter or whoever picked.  I did like the one house that had the military theme going.  GO NAVY!

• Like 2

Sigh... ok so can I say the show is terrible? Is that allowed?

Drew

I mean honestly what do you expect for a reality TV show lol, I watch because there's not much else on, the lights are done for the season, and everyone once is a while I pick up an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pikadroo said:

Sigh... ok so can I say the show is terrible? Is that allowed?

Drew

Maybe if two of us say it ...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, robongar said:

I recorded it, from the reviews. I'll just delete it.

Na, go ahead and watch it, just expect to fast forward through a good part of it.  I will continue to record it, but speed through it.

Na, go ahead and watch it, just expect to fast forward through a good part of it.  I will continue to record it, but speed through it.

I'm looking forward to seeing James display from Boscoyo studios next week

11 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Watched the first episode and wasn't a big fan of the winner that Carter or whoever picked.  I did like the one house that had the military theme going.  GO NAVY!

I agree i liked the military theme. He should have won that show hands down. So far i'm 0-2 on picking winners this year. 

Don't make your pick based on lights...go for the human interest story! They win every time! It is "reality" tv!

Some friends of mine in Redding won the second show.  They have a "butt load" of props..Other than the characters in Critter Country they pretty much made most of it.   Michelle did all the programming.. I went up for a couple of days and helped with the float and running cables in front and troubleshooting data issues..  Was a lot of fun. 

Went back up there for the reveal and it rained like no body's business.. lighting and thunder and heavy soaking rain.. Lots of waiting for it to pass and then shooting in the rain finally. 

That float was so much more in person.. it was pretty spectacular...  Even my jaw dropped when I saw it pull up all lit up.  They hadn't finished it when I had to leave after the two days so I was shocked at the outcome.. Pretty cool

I attended the 2015 Pacific Northwest Regional C.L.A.P. Mtg and one of the speakers had been on the show and gave a talk of his and his families experiences on that show. It was interesting to hear of all the details that went into the filming. Some silly, pretending to be cold while lighting up the lights in Dec, even though it was being filmed months earlier. Getting the neighbors to go along with it. etc... It was all for TV, not reality. :wacko:

I don't watch the show (have seen a couple) but I do have an appreciation for the efforts involved.

Alan...

I wish they would do a show with the "Average Joe"  in a "regular"  residential area.  Not the homes with 5 Acres of property and or HUGE homes.  Give the regular homeowner a chance to show off and see what we can do.  There are a lot of homes that really pack more punch than some of the crap  they show on this show...... 

• Like 6

So I just pulled this season up on demand...watched the first episode and the first guy said he's the only one he knows with 4 strings of RWBG all tied together?!!!????

HE was the only one that he knows who does this????? My jaw dropped.... I guess he never heard of YouTube...I think that most of us "light enthusiasts" call them mega strings...And most of us have been calling them that and have had them for YEARS! 

I don't understand why they picked who the did, wheelchair on oxygen been doing this all my life with no acknowledgement feel bad for me? The Military RGB guy had that hands down! The rest are just over the top gaudy with no real theme, rime or reason. As always, the supporters of our real heros loose to the wants of the one.  

So I just pulled this season up on demand...watched the first episode and the first guy said he's the only one he knows with 4 strings of RWBG all tied together?!!!????

HE was the only one that he knows who does this????? My jaw dropped.... I guess he never heard of YouTube...I think that most of us "light enthusiasts" call them mega strings...And most of us have been calling them that and have had them for YEARS! 

I don't understand why they picked who the did, wheelchair on oxygen been doing this all my life with no acknowledgement feel bad for me? The Military RGB guy had that hands down! The rest are just over the top gaudy with no real theme, rime or reason. As always, the supporters of our real heros loose to the wants of the one.  

I have a feeling thats "production stuff", I've heard they make you say "were the best in the country" and crap. Lol

• Like 1

If the show was with and for regular people it may be worth watching... But sense it is for the people who spend thousands and thousands of dollars on it,more then most of us make in a year I dont stop to watch it... I had rather drive around town and see things that real people have done and not spent more then Most of us make in a year doing it.

Besides... Its who they know that gets them into the contest anyway.... not everyone can enter it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Old Sarge said:

If the show was with and for regular people it may be worth watching... But sense it is for the people who spend thousands and thousands of dollars on it,more then most of us make in a year I dont stop to watch it... I had rather drive around town and see things that real people have done and not spent more then Most of us make in a year doing it.

Besides... Its who they know that gets them into the contest anyway.... not everyone can enter it.

I don't think those are quite valid statements.... They have already contacted me regarding the 2017 season and I am a regular person who does 100% of my display.  Pretty sure I've been contacted the last 5 years.  I don't like the show and would NEVER go on it.  This is my one and only hobby and yes I spend lots of money and time on it. Thousands of dollars and way over 1,000 hours in this years display. Its television... Do people want to see 32 channels of LOR.... or massive pixel displays or displays with hundreds of thousands of lights?   I know nobody and THEY keep contacting me fyi..

7 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Well, I don't think that is an entirely accurate statement.  I am a regular guy.  I don't "know anyone".  I live in a relatively small town.  I build or modify all my own props with a few exceptions. I do all my own programming.  My wife and I set up the whole thing.  We had one person help with tucking cords last year but that was pretty much it.  We don't advertise, we don't do much YouTube or other type of hype.   We do it for us and our family and friends.... others just happen to show up.

GCLF contacted me to do the show and I originally turned them down.  They were persistent, and reading that others who had been on the show said it was a lot of fun, I finally gave in and did the show.  Guess what,  It was a lot of fun.   I didn't win for one reason or another but the experience was pretty cool.  (no sour grapes from me).

I also helped (read volunteer arms and legs)  Redding Lights who won the 2nd show last Monday night.  They are very regular folks (except extremely nice) in a small city.  Lots of brain power under one roof for sure, but  they live on a corner lot, with a normal sized house in a neighborhood that is nice but not what most would call a "rich" neighborhood.  They made almost everything except the animal characters in their display.  Truly a DIY display with amazing hard work being put in. They didn't "know anyone" either.  They have been doing it for many years for the community to enjoy without any concern about getting on the show.  (The float was amazing!)

Keep in mind it is a TV show that needs to draw millions of viewers in order to stay alive. What kind of audience do you think they would have with "normal displays"? Not millions IMHO.  It is also a competition with a pretty healthy prize.  Not everyone can step up to the standards needed to win... and I am sure that is the intention of the show.  In a single year they can only use 24 displays out of the entire country, and now Canada, it seems from the teasers..  So they have to make some judgement calls and pick who and what they think would interest the audience they are going after.. (at least that is my take on it). 

So I guess the bottom line is perhaps find out more about it before you judge them on how they pick contestants.  I don't particularly like how they edit the show myself, but I can certainly tell you that it is not "who you know" or how big your house is that gets you in the mix,  but rather how well they perceive you and your display will be received by the audience compared to others that either gets you on the show or not.....  That of course is my opinion.

One more thing.. Disney just happens to be popular around the world, so the fact that some people have some Disney in their display seems likely no matter what.  I don't think that has anything to do with getting on the show..

• Like 2