Light-O-Rama Forums

Great Christmas Light Fight 2016

k6ccc

I watched the episode this week and have to say I'm really pleased with who Taniya picked as the winner in her hour.  The guy who had all the binders about his incurred costs over the years, and his wife who handpainted the lights to be the exact color they wanted.  I LOVED so much about their static display.  

I really liked that display too, the only thing I don't like and I'm sure some will disagree with me, is the yard is just too full of stuff. There's comes a time to retire something and make something new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, 1983ss454 said:

I really liked that display too, the only thing I don't like and I'm sure some will disagree with me, is the yard is just too full of stuff. There's comes a time to retire something and make something new

I agree that their yard was overwhelmingly full, but during the walkthrough I loved everything they showed.

I agree that their yard was overwhelmingly full, but during the walkthrough I loved everything they showed.

We've made cutouts for 30+ years, a lot of stuff was things my niece or nephew would ask for like power rangers or ninja turtles. We would use them for a couple years, the popularity wouldn't disappear, then they would be in the fire pit to keep our hands warm during setup lol. Something like that right now is have paw patrol in my show, it's very popular right now but I can't imagine it will be in 10 years.

I loved the train they showed on the side of the yard

47 minutes ago, plasmadrive said:

I don't think any of us took it that way Mike.. I didn't think you were being disrespectful at all.  Just making a point..  It's all good

Oh no.  These are the LOR forums and I am an LOR Employee.  The rule is apologize BEFORE anyone can be offended -- because we know a few around here can stink up the place if you give them even a sniff at a perceived slight.  (Which is not you, but you know that :))

On the second season, the family in Central LA stated they had 80,000 channels. Could that be possible?  Do you think they meant lights?  Seems it would take years to program 80,000 channels, if that is even possible. 

On the second season, the family in Central LA stated they had 80,000 channels. Could that be possible?  Do you think they meant lights?  Seems it would take years to program 80,000 channels, if that is even possible. 

That's around 26,000k pixels, you will notice that a lot of the programming is done with Xlights and full display effects. It's really not hard to have even 10,000 channels right now with the way pixels are going

I have seen up to episode 4 (which is on Hulu) and I want to know where the one Guy (who makes his house a Giant Screen) got the Plastic Mounted Pixel net stuff (without the pixels in them) I'd like to change out my Deck line to that :D

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The Great Christmas Light Fight is on again tonight, is everybody ready?  :D

My DVR is ready.  Does anybody watch live TV anymore?  It's rare for me since the DVR came out.  Now if they could just come out with one that doesn't record the commercials.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Now if they could just come out with one that doesn't record the commercials.

Didn't they come out with that once and they got sued because companies pay for the commercials?

5 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Does anybody watch live TV anymore?  

I did tonight.

They should have saved the last episode for first IMO and work up to the most dazzling displays for last? But that's just me.

Why did the coastal display show hooking up a controller but nothing was synced to music or at least showed usage of the controller in the display?

I still enjoy watching show and ideas though.

I'm kinda with you.. last night more of the places lacked "something".  My wife was a bit disenchanted as well.  I love Walter's place thought.. that was pretty awesome.. a few of the others were ok.. but overall not what I was expecting for a grand finally.

• Like 2

They have gotten away from Christmas and headed towards Las Vegas Shows. Its nice to see the shows in Vegas, but I want to be in Vegas for those as they are always over the Top (Less Disney's Studios Theme Park at Christmas that does a nice show also, but not over the top) I prefer to incorporate some of the RGB stuff but I try to make sure it looks Christmasy (is that a word...LOL) No Hollywood show setup. If I wanted Hollywood show setup, I would be adding trusses over my yard for hundreds of Moving Head lamps and Lasers (not that I don't love all blinky Flashy Stuff that changes color and is controllable. )

• Like 1

I really think they should group the 4 sets of displays/families each week into static and animated. IMO they are just two different animals. The animated synchronized shows have the WOW factor of being in synch with music and should be judged on how well the lights are synched to the music, among the other items. Even if we the viewer don't see it due to editing. The static displays have the warmth of usually tons of lights and maybe containing items of sentimental value. Have one of the judges see 4 families of static displays and judge which they feel is the best. Then have that same judge the following "week" see synchronized displays. and the same for the other judge.

I too watch it for the entertainment aspect and to hopefully pick up tips. I do think there are more behind the scenes footage they are airing showing how the person/family made or did something. I liked the twin brothers idea to use a hand mixer to motorize the small world people.

It seems like the judges either by their own tastes or by network bosses seem to be less impressed with full pixel shows. I'm probably not going to be popular with this statement but I too am not crazy about an all pixel display. I have some CCR's in my show and will be introducing a 16X50 pixel tree/matrix next year to my regular lights of both incans and LED's. So I do like the RGB pixels just don't like a whole display of them. I can appreciate the programming of them but just don't like the look of EVERYTHING being pixels. But this is just my opinion.

On a final note, the winners from Glen Allen, VA are very nice people. I have talked to them every year at the VA Mini for the past several years. He does very good work on the cutouts and they both make them look real nice with painting the bulbs. I'm not sure it was mentioned on the show but he doesn't like the look of LED so everything is incans. Since they won the $50,000 maybe they can buy a new computer and nice scanner and scan all of those binders! LOL

Later,

Al

• Like 1

On 12/18/2016 at 10:09 AM, kiplorenzo said:

I have seen up to episode 4 (which is on Hulu) and I want to know where the one Guy (who makes his house a Giant Screen) got the Plastic Mounted Pixel net stuff (without the pixels in them) I'd like to change out my Deck line to that :D

The netting is available at http://www.holidaycoro.com/category-s/1974.htm

Ed

On 12/15/2016 at 7:18 AM, 1983ss454 said:

OK, I'm a bit behind on watching the show. Just watched this one, and I completely agree that the yard of the first and last houses were WAY too cluttered.

On 12/18/2016 at 0:09 PM, kiplorenzo said:

Boscoyo Studios.  I have bought some of there stuff and it is top quality but inexpensive.

Piper Lights show that was on brought back memories, it was located a few miles from our house in NC.  It has been part of our Christmas tradition to go there and check out the lights.  It was where we got the idea to kick it up a notch.

• Like 1

I thought about applying for the show but I think they need to group them better. It's hard for a static show to compete against 100+ channel homes. I'm only running 80 channel setup and in process of adding RGB next year with 3 CMB24D cards. I should add all the old display pieces as it looked like Disney south. As the kids got older the Disney got retired.

1 hour ago, BECKfamilylights said:

I thought about applying for the show but I think they need to group them better. It's hard for a static show to compete against 100+ channel homes. I'm only running 80 channel setup and in process of adding RGB next year with 3 CMB24D cards. I should add all the old display pieces as it looked like Disney south. As the kids got older the Disney got retired.

Not really.  Static has won over animated many times.. it's all about how you do it and what you do.. oh yeah.. sometimes a good back story seems to help.. but not always.. You have just as much chance as anybody else

• The topic was locked