Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up Mini Director for first time, questions?

JPat

We built a show in the simple show builder, saved to SD card and inserted into the director but no go.  After thinking about it, I realized that the director probably has to have the time set up in order to understand the commanded time to run the show from the card?   I just located this in the HU and appears that I may have found what I was looking for regarding the time.  That being said, I want to make sure that I understand this correctly.  Do I plug my Cat5 into the director with SD in the slot, and then set time after the 15min of being powered on?

Click 'Set Time File' to place a time file on the SD card.  The time file is used to set the internal clock on the card. Make sure that the MP3 Director has been powered for 15 minutes before you set the time. This is to ensure that the backup power has reached a level such that it can sustain the onboard clock during power interruptions.  

Click the 'Create Show' button to place the show you have setup on the SD card. 

When using the director, is there a way to run the show and then go static for a before shutting down each night?  For instance, I want to run the show from 6-9pm and go static from 9-11.

Thanks in advance, and we are very close to being up and running for the first year.

E

Edited by JPat

The mini director has no clock so there is no time to set. There are two ways to start a show on the mini director, when powered on or by a trigger.

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The mini director has no clock so there is no time to set. There are two ways to start a show on the mini director, when powered on or by a trigger.

Then what is the quoted section referencing in the LOR MP3 tab of the HU?

Just now, JPat said:

Then what is the quoted section referencing in the LOR MP3 tab of the HU?

The G3MP3 Director, the bigger one, has a clock the mini doesn't.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

The G3MP3 Director, the bigger one, has a clock the mini doesn't.

10-4, got it now.  That would probably explain why our show isn't running, as we put it on a scheduled time.

4 minutes ago, JPat said:

10-4, got it now.  That would probably explain why our show isn't running, as we put it on a scheduled time.

As far as a shutdown sequence you can't do that as a timed sequence. However there is a way you can set it up for manual activation. You can set your main show as show 1 which will start as soon as the mini is powered on. Then you could setup an animation with all lights on as show 2 and run a button trigger into the house and at 9:00 you could push the button to trigger show 2 and have the lights go static.

21 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

As far as a shutdown sequence you can't do that as a timed sequence. However there is a way you can set it up for manual activation. You can set your main show as show 1 which will start as soon as the mini is powered on. Then you could setup an animation with all lights on as show 2 and run a button trigger into the house and at 9:00 you could push the button to trigger show 2 and have the lights go static.

Thanks, and sounding more and more like I need to go buy a cheap laptop to set up in the garage near the controller and use that to run the show.   Seems like the director is good for simple on off in relation to power, and didn't realize before purchasing it would have certain limitations.  

11 minutes ago, JPat said:

Thanks, and sounding more and more like I need to go buy a cheap laptop to set up in the garage near the controller and use that to run the show.   Seems like the director is good for simple on off in relation to power, and didn't realize before purchasing it would have certain limitations.  

The Directors are great as long as you stick with all LOR products, for the most part, and don't want to or can't use a computer. Personally I prefer a computer as you get a lot more options and when you get into the large channel counts with pixels using E1.31 is a big plus.

I have used both the Mini Director and the G3MP3 Director.  You can set the time from the front panel on the G3MP3 unit.  When setting the time, do not have the SD card inserted (never have a SD card inserted when using the Hardware Utility).  I set the time using the Hardware Utility and the button to set the time from the computer.  I have never set the time from the SD card.

The Minidirector can hold the time setting for a while, but not forever.  Try to keep it powered up after you set the time.

All of my shows were created using the Hardware Utility.  Worked for many years!

This year I am using a PC because of my need for E1.31 for the pixels.

Up and running last night on the SD card!  

Question:  I previously noted an issue with 2 channels when running the show on demand and made a quick fix in the sequence (somehow controller number got changed), saved it, but noticed that it still remains as if the change was not made.   I thought that I read somewhere this is a conundrum with the SD card/mini director and you have to copy the sequence and paste into a new named sequence?  Is this true?

• 3 months later...

I'm working on a simple show, only one controller and would like to get a Mini Director so that I don't have to use a computer to run the show. I read that you can control the shows time with a timer, however I believe the show could turn off in a middle of a song but I could live with that. I also think that I read that the show will start when power is applied to the controller, which I believe is where the Mini Director gets it's power. If the above is correct, then I don't see the need for the Scheduler or am I missing something? I've played with the controller for years but this will be the first year that I'm attempting to put a show together. I'd appreciate any help, Thanks!