Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels don't work in certain sections of song

kk6ou

This is very strange and I thought maybe someone has seen this before.  I have a song that I sequenced using LOR S4 latest version and everything seems to work except for certain sections of the song.  I tried changing the sequence to a simpler output but still no luck.  The pixels work for other parts of the song.  I hate to start all over.   I'm using a Mac-mini with VMware running windows XP.  I have it hooked up using a Alphapix16 and also a LOR  CTB16PC.  The Alphapix is setup using E1.31 and the LOR is using RS485.  I have 5 strings of 50 pixels each on universes 7-11 which are the problem.  My other 6 strings on Universes 1-6 seem to work fine although I haven't verified everything.  The sequence runs fine in Visualizer on the computer I sequenced with and no errors in verify.  I'm using a different PC for editing, I've run verify on the song in the Apple used to run the show.  It's driving me bonkers.  I'm going to try to reboot the Apple and the restart the alphapix tomorrow just to eliminate some more possibilities.  I am getting a bunch of errors in the comm-listener.  One msg says DMX command request too short for data which doesn't sound to good.  Also a bunch of socket disconnects on 127.0.0.1 (or something like that) which I figure is just an issue with the comm-listener port.   Anyone have ideas?  My lms file is too large to upload but I would be happy to send it via PM.

Doug,  Are the pixels on universes 7-11 always failing, or do they sometimes work?  I just sent you my E-Mail via a PM.

If you can either post screen captures of the DMX section of the Network Preferences, and also the configuration of the AlphaPix.  Also, if you can get a screen capture of the Comm Listener, and open a Windows Command screen and enter ipconfig /all and then capture that screen as well.

I will warn you that although I know E1.31 quite well, I don't have an AlphaPix, nor do I know anything about running Windows on a Mac (but my show computer runs on WinXP), but I'll take a stab at it.

Turn off WiFi and make sure you are running on a dedicated network.  Nothing but your computer and the controllers on the network.

Sounds like an IP address conflict.

I'll try to take a screen capture of the listener.  I attempted to do last night but couldn't find a capture app in XP.  I guess I could try print screen and see if it's useable.   I  I'll also upload appropriate content sometime today or tomorrow.  Thanks Jim for the zip suggestion.  I'm running on a dedicated network with wifi turned off (that was the only way I could get it to work).  Running on a VM machine definitely throws a wrench into things but I didn't want a giant PC in the area my wife graciously let me use.  If all else fails I'll try a regular PC running Win 7 and see what happens.  Next year I plan on running on a Raspberry Pi.   I suspect something with my LOR S4 config because most of the sequence runs fine.    

Appreciate the replies!

The reboot had no effect.  I'm getting more convinced the PC is struggling.  I've noticed some of my other sequences are missing parts of the pixel light outputs.  I'm going to replace it with an old Dell XPS with a Quad-core CPU running Vista and try that.  I noticed also that I can't run Visualizer on the Apple VM machine, the CPU is maxed out at 100%.   The XPS didn't have any issues with Visualizer which is another hint that it will work.   I just hate using a monster tower but for now I'll live with it.  I'll report back after I get it online.

Next year I need to decide on whether I want to stick with LOR S4, I've gotten pretty comfortable with it.  I guess I'll see what S5 brings.

Final report!  Replaced computer and everything works as expected.  Problem was my 12 year old Apple Mac-mini running XP via VMware couldn't handle the amount of data.  It was replaced with a 12 year old Dell XPS running a Core 2 duo with 2 GB of RAM.  Unexpected bonus was I have now plenty of audio output, the Apple was just barely outputting enough signal to hear my amplified speaker.  I'm a happy camper.

• The topic was locked