Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Pixel Strip Density

wbaker4

I am planning on replacing my dumb RGB strips with Pixel strips and was wondering what density you are currently using.  I will be outlining my windows with them.

10, or 30, or 60 Pixels per meter? 

5v or 12v and what IC?   Perhaps a link to what you bought?

Thanks in advance.

Walt

12v can handle longer runs without the problems of voltage drop but may cost a few dollars more.

General rule is 5v can handle 50 pixels and 12v can handle 100 pixels before needing to power inject, but this can go up or down.

Also, pick one voltage and stick with it, it makes it less confusing and there won't be a chance of getting something mixed up and burning things up. If you do mix and match 12v and 5v then have a really good color coding system for everything.

Thanks for everyone's quick response!

Looks like 10 Pixels per meter.  I will use 12v since that is what my current dumb RGB strips are using.

Walt

Just a thought, but at 10 cm spacing, you could use resin filled square pixels.

They are MUCH more robust than strips plus I like the look better.

During testing I sunmerged a 100 pixel string in water for two days, lit.

I have my RGB dumb strips mounted to wood frames that I hang on each window.  So far the strips have held up very well.  Only one failure after two days of rain.  Replaced a a 6 inch section and all was well again.

I will however look into those.  Thanks for the info.

Question regarding the mapping of the pixels for the window outlines...

For the horizontal and vertical sweeps, do you map the pixels for the window outlines using a separate track that has the pixels arranged in a specific order -  or - do you use Superstar - something else?  

Vertical sweeps would be easy since all of the pixels are consecutive.  For horizontal you will be selecting every n-th pixel (window top and bottom).

Thanks, 

Walt