Light-O-Rama Forums

Half of ribbon tree not working

KeysNole

8 out of my 16 ribbons (9-16) are out. This is a HC unit with the Alphapix controller. All 16 test out fine. We have tried to troubleshoot anything/everything we can.

Any thoughts?

Ok, figured out the channels. Darn universes.

On to the next problem, and I noticed this while testing. It appears as though the WS2811 strips are lined up as BRG. I configured the Alphapix as BRG. Colors are all still funky. Any thoughts on this one?!?

Edited by KeysNole

Most ws2811 strips are BRG...at least the ones I have are... If its changing color mid strip, (red goes blue green goes red etc,) check your config, do you have it set to 512 or 510?  I'm pretty sure the Alphapix (like my E682) can't split a pixel over a universe (512) and it will cause anything on the next universe side of the strip to change color while effects will run properly. if this is the case, change to 510 and try that.

4 hours ago, KeysNole said:

It appears as though the WS2811 strips are lined up as BRG. I configured the Alphapix as BRG. Colors are all still funky. Any thoughts on this one?!?

Define funky.  Does the Alphapix have test modes where it can generate specific colors?  If it does, have it generate Red, and see what the strips produce.  Same thing for Green and Blue.  If the colors match, you have the setting right.  If not, you can either just try the various settings until you get it right, or evaluate the errors to determine how to correct it.

BTW, in my collection of WS2811 pixels, I have following orders:  RGB, GBR,and GRB.

The Alphapix controllers are really funky, I have 14 of them. There are actually two places in the gui when you log into your controller where you set the RGB order. The first one is large, just above the channel set box and it it gives you two options RGB and BRG set this for RGB as this one is for color order output. Next go about four sections down below the channel set box you will see a drop down box which has like six color orders in it, set this one to BRG as this is the order of your strips.

17 hours ago, Need more lights said:

Most ws2811 strips are BRG...at least the ones I have are... If its changing color mid strip, (red goes blue green goes red etc,) check your config, do you have it set to 512 or 510?  I'm pretty sure the Alphapix (like my E682) can't split a pixel over a universe (512) and it will cause anything on the next universe side of the strip to change color while effects will run properly. if this is the case, change to 510 and try that.

After I set the pixels to BRG, everything tests properly (red is red, blue is blue, etc).

My DMX start universes are listed in accordance with my SPI outputs, ex 1-16. (not sure if this is correct)

My DMX start channels are all listed at 1

My pixels connected seems to default back to 340, no matter which number I put in.

Hopefully something there tells you guys what you need to know.

Keysnole - what is your email address? I have a nice word document that i created that has all the settings you need.

I will send you a copy.

Unfortunately no. As you were helping me with the SPI outputs the screen on my laptop literally went out.

Moved everything to another laptop. Went through all the installation hoops again. All tests are working properly. Configured how you advised.

Pressed play on the holidaysequences sequence, and zilch on the tree itself. I've gone over everything multiple times. This is killing me!

Did you set up everything in network preferences? This is where you set the IP address and universes. The IP is the same one that matches the IP on the controller.

Also is commlistener running in your start bar? This needs to be running.

Network preferences looks good...tests from controller to strips works.

I definitely do not have commlistener running. Is that an LOR product? I searched for it in my programs/computer and did not see it.

Commlistener is the control panel and it should be in the lower left of the task bar.  Here are a few things to check:

Open network config and in the DMX tab click advanced, near the bottom left look for "COMM Listener Port" the number 8837 should be there.

Next go up to your Universe 1, there should be a IP address and and beside that it should say E1.31, click on the IP address and another box should open. On the right column "Use E1.31" should be checked and below that the IP address 239.255.0.1 if using Multicast or whatever IP address you put in for Specify (Unicast), below that there should be a Port # of 5568.

Can you verify all that?

Edited by Mr. P

1 hour ago, KeysNole said:

Network preferences looks good...tests from controller to strips works.

I definitely do not have commlistener running. Is that an LOR product? I searched for it in my programs/computer and did not see it.

Its located here: c:\program files (x86)\Light-O-rama\LORCommlistener.exe

This must be running...

I have identified the commlistener...when I click on it, it opens up a box that looks like a command prompt, then immediately disappears. I am running Windows 10. I tried to same thing on another computer loaded with LOR and had the same results.

Mission completed! With a little luck I was able to get the commlistener going. You guys are truly the best!

I have identified the commlistener...when I click on it, it opens up a box that looks like a command prompt, then immediately disappears. I am running Windows 10. I tried to same thing on another computer loaded with LOR and had the same results.

That's normal. It will automatically minimize right after it starts. You should see it on the taskbar and you can bring it up to see if you want to.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

2 hours ago, KeysNole said:

Glad you got it working.

Note that you should not have to explicitly start the Comm Listener.  It will start automatically when you start the LOR Control Panel.  As I said in my previous post, it will start and immediately minimize to the taskbar.