Light-O-Rama Forums

Inside house LED's flashing/dimming

lleibeck

Hi,

This past summer we switched out some incandescent bulbs for LED's inside the house.

We running the same display as last year but now the new LED's in the house flicker/dim/blink when the show runs.

No other lights in the house are doing this.

Any ideas?

I am going to put incandescent back in for and switched them back out after Christmas.

Thank you,

Lee

Edited by lleibeck

The LEDs are more sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Sounds like your voltage is dipping from the load of your show.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

You should feel lucky that you didn't have to spend any time programming the lights inside your house blink and dim!  :P

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lleibeck said:

Do you think it could be a quality of the LED's or do all have the same sensitivity?

I would assume there is some variation to that.

The drivers are better quality in the big name lamps, but in my opinion, no, the quality if the LED lamp is not your issue in this situation.

More likely it's a wiring issue, and could be a big deal - or a nothing deal. Try splitting your show onto more circuits. 

We've had high dollar, big name fixtures strobe like the 80's. (Could have made a fortune.. Humm..) Anyway, it was trash on the neutral side on a different circuit. Took forever to find. Have one we still haven't stopped. The Kuerig and frig both twinkle the LED troffers in the bathroom. Humm. Why would they have the bathroom lights wired on a GFCI circuit that's supposed to be by itself for a frig?.... No hazard really, just annoying if you don't drink. 

I had an outdoor LED spot lot on our flag that had started strobing over the summer. We troubleshot the light and circuit round and round. Clearly it wasn't the problem...,but then what was it?  The previous homeowner had finished the basement and in adding the basement outlets had just tied all the "white" wires together behind one of the light switches. Turns out he had tapped into the outside circuit and had tied the neutral from each circuit together. Then behind an outlet he had a switched outlet that should have used a "red" or black/white marked wire but instead had an unmarked white (assumed neutral) tied together with the other neutrals. 

Essentially when the basement outlet was switched on he was introducing current across two different circuit neutrals. When the LED saw current on the neutral it would strobe. It took me a long time to troubleshoot the outdoor circuit to the basement circuit and outlet!  So I tend to agree with Mega Arch, it sounds like dirty power. We didn't notice it with incandescent lights, but we sure did with the LED.  Although, now our other incandescent lights on that circuit last a lot longer, so we were seeing symptoms in bulb life, just not flicker. 

Thank you whyintheworld.

Not sure I want to trace that far back considering we have a bathroom remodel in the future.

Maybe we will just work back to box and terminate the run and put in  a new run/cirduit.

L