Light-O-Rama Forums

3 Pixels on strip stay lit

gsmith37064

I have the Alphapix 16 and noticed tonight that I have 1 strip that has 3 pixels that stay red all the time. Even when the show is over the 3 pixels are still lit red.

Any clue on what could be causing this?

It's been running perfectly for the past 2 months so I don't see too many pixels being the issue. It just started today.

But for the heck of it i looked at the config and it's all correct. 50 pixels per universe.

I have a ticket with Holidaycoro opened as well.

Edited by gsmith37064

Unplugged the controller for about 10 minutes. Plugged it back in and the 3 red pixels come right back on.

Good thing they are still covered by Dave. Plus i suck at soldering...

I have a couple others to send back as well due to 1 pixel color being out. I am glad its the pixel strip and not the card. But my tree is 17ft tall a little difficult to just lay down and start replacing strips. It looks like i can wait till after the Christmas season to send them back. Worse case I would just repurpose the strips for my upcoming arches project.

In the mean time i have 3 red pixels lighting the way to my show :)

That is a good idea.

It's the 3 pixels closest to the connector at the top of the tree. We have had a lot of rain the past couple of days. And that is when the issue started.

I bet it's water.

if you do have water in there the longer you run power the more damage you do. I have one strip that I had a problem with, I put a hole  in the bottom of the strip to drain and found where it was getting in and sealed It Off

I'll go along with the water problem. I had a water issue with my pixel star again this year. A day after opening night it rained and I had a few pixels in various states of on. It's a royal pain for me to fix a star problem once the tree is stood up, so I wrote a sequence that I called star_heater.las. it's a sequence that cycles through the 360 pixels with about 80% of them on at any given time. Ran it all day, and kept it warm enough yo dry it out and it worked correctly after that. I run the star all night along with the tree in a slow twinkle.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I fired it up 30 minutes before the show started last night and the 1 strand would shoot a white steak up it. Looked like the meteor effect in SuperStar. I ended up pulling the connection and reseating it. It played nice after that. But i still have 1 with 1 green pixel lit now. I do think it's moisture getting in some place.

But i did not see the issue getting better so I ended up ordering 5 new strands of pixels. 3 to replace the ones having issues and 2 spares. That should get me through the rest of the year i hope. Knock on wood :)

Edited by gsmith37064

Get a tube of silicone and touch up the area at the top of the strip where the wires go into the clear tubing. That is most likely where the water is getting in.

1 hour ago, Ebuechner said:

when I got water in my strips before I used alcohol to flush them out then resealed. 

That's a waste of booze! ... There has to be another way!! :lol:

• Like 1